Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nektar touring with Martin Turner's Wishbone Ash

Nektar touring with Martin Turner's Wishbone Ash

Nektar will be playing Saturday June 29th at the Viper Alley in Lincolnshire (way north of Chicago). Also on the bill is "Martin Turner's Wishbone Ash".

"MARTIN TURNER'S WISHBONE ASH WITH NEKTAR
    THE 2013 UK LEGENDS OF CLASSIC ROCK TOUR BRINGS

NEKTAR AND MARTIN TURNER’S WISHBONE ASH

TO U.S. STAGES TOGETHER FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER!!!

Fans will not want to miss this once in a lifetime opportunity as both bands will deliver their unique brands of British guitar driven rock, each performing headlining sets!

Nektar’s contribution over the past 40 years has quite rightly earned them their place in any “Progressive Rock Hall of Fame” but the band is much more than a Prog Legend. The Nektar brand of innovative composition, performance and visuals is simply unique and has stood the test of time and influenced countless numbers of their contemporaries.

With millions of album sales and concert attendances worldwide, Wishbone Ash’s heritage as one of the most enduring and best loved British rock acts is assured. Martin Turner envisaged the band’s innovative harmony-guitar hallmark and over four decades later, the enduring music of the classic marks of Wishbone Ash continues to delight audiences worldwide through both live performances and a rich legacy of recorded work that continues to be enjoyed by fans old and new. On this tour they will be performing their classic album “Argus” in its entirety plus other surprises!"
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Nice. I'd love to see Nektar again after the recent tour. Big WA fan, but not familiar with Martin's version. I'd love to see the two bands, no doubt! No tour dates listed on Nektar's site.

Yeah, it's listed on Viper Alley's site.

Andy Powell's band just rolled through Chicagoland a few weeks ago, playing at Fitzgeralds in Berwyn.

Andy told me his agency doesn't book SF Bay Area, or California these days, as there were not enough ticket sales in the past.

Are there any other shows aside from the Chicago-area one? I would love to see Nektar!

Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    Andy told me his agency doesn't book SF Bay Area, or California these days, as there were not enough ticket sales in the past.
    Wow, that's a bummer. Hackett sold out his Monday night show in L.A., and Spock's Beard sold out their upcoming CD release party in L.A. I am not sure if Steven Wilson or Morse/TFK will sell out in L.A., but I'm assuming they will. I don't know about the Bay Area, and I don't expect them in the Pacific Northwest. Even combined, the fans in Seattle and Portland are a much smaller number.
    "The mountains are calling and I must go" - John Muir

"To breathe the same air as the angels, you must go to Tahoe" - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Hunnibee View Post
    Are there any other shows aside from the Chicago-area one? I would love to see Nektar!

Wow, that's a bummer. Hackett sold out his Monday night show in L.A., and Spock's Beard sold out their upcoming CD release party in L.A. I am not sure if Steven Wilson or Morse/TFK will sell out in L.A., but I'm assuming they will. I don't know about the Bay Area, and I don't expect them in the Pacific Northwest. Even combined, the fans in Seattle and Portland are a much smaller number.
    I'm talking about Wishbone Ash not playing the Bay Area, not Nektar. They played here last time out.

I have tickets for the Viper Alley show. I almost didn't get them when I saw the seating chart, that is a strange configuration they have at Viper Alley to say the least, the only place where you are directly in front of the stage is when you are standing, the seating is left of the stage. I hope its not as bad as it looks.

Take a look at this seating chart.

http://www.ticketweb.com/t3/sale/Sal...69374&pl=viper

I'm with you on the seating, it wasn't configured like that when I saw them in 2011 there. There were high-tops in the area that faces the stage, and to be honest, there were only about 75 people at the show!

The area where they are showing the tables now is the bowling lanes!

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    The area where they are showing the tables now is the bowling lanes!
    That is just plain bizarre.

Oh nevermind, there's another thread where they're talking about Nektar tour dates. I'm hoping they will keep the tentative Portland date in July!
    "The mountains are calling and I must go" - John Muir

"To breathe the same air as the angels, you must go to Tahoe" - Mark Twain

Already got my tickets! I'll be there!

I wanted to let the people know that are going to this show, like I am, that I just watched a DVD of Martin Turner's Wishbone Ash that was recorded in 2010, an official, professionally recorded DVD, not a bootleg. I was pleasantly surprised at how good not only the DVD is but the band is.

I'll just go into a tiny bit of of the details of the ongoing battle between "the real deal" Wishbone Ash who is led by the only original member that never left the band , Andy Powell. vs. Martin Turner and his version of the band . It is endless back and forth that goes on not only between those two but also the fan base . Powell obviously has a much bigger one of those, especially since Martin Turner did not start his band until 2004 and has never made a new album of original material while AP and his band keep on churning out new albums of original songs and of course they tour tirelessly.

But the bottom line to this, for those of us that are going to see MTWA (Along with Nektar who is the reason that I am going to this show) and his band play those old Wishbone Ash songs, they do it really well, at least on that night that the DVD was made , the guitar parts were spot on , both of those guys can play , and the lead & harmony vocals which by the way Martin gets a lot of help from the other guys in the band, sound to my ears more like the Wishbone Ash I used to love back in the 70's. And they also go way deeper into the old catalog than Andy's band . The main reason for that of course is that Wishbone Ash (Andy Powell's band) plays a lot of the newer songs along with some of the old stuff that Martin's band will be playing. Another thing going for them in my book is that Dave Wagstaff who was the drummer for the prog band Landmarq for many years is the drummer for MTWA. So Martin does have quality guys in his band.

So my message here is that if MTWA play as well at Viper Ally as they did on the night this DVD was shot, we're in for a good night of music . Martin Turner's Wishbone Ash were the wild card for me when I was thinking about going to this show, since I already know that Nektar is going to be great, but wasn't sure about MTWA ,that is why I bought the DVD ( It's called "The Life Begins Tour" shot in 2010, by the way), now after watching it I know that they will hold their own and add to what should be a fun night .

Why can't Andy and martin join forces?!?

It would be the smartest thing to do at this stage of there careers!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Why can't Andy and martin join forces?!?

It would be the smartest thing to do at this stage of there careers!

I agree, but it's not going to happen, way too much bad blood.

FYI, All confirmed Nektar/MTWA USA tour dates (so far) are currently posted at
    http://www.thenektarproject.com/geew...013-tour-dates

Both Martin Turner & Roye Albrighton have had similarities regarding their respective "band name" identities since 2004, yet both artists are well worthy of individual recognition, and both of them have a classic legacy to uphold, which I'm positive they will do on this USA tour.

So far there are no tour dates mentioned on the "official" Nektar site, and the Nektar member forum disappeared around April 24th.
    I do know that another trip to Brazil is being planned for this year.
    Last edited by Mick; 04-29-2013 at 07:49 AM.

the Seattle show has been cancelled. got the email this morning and another about refunding my cc

Not feeling good about this. Roye's Nektar website just took down their forum. The Facebook site is still operational.

When will this band get serious about management & promotion!
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

The Winchester Music Hall - Cleveland Ohio
    Tuesday, June 25th, 2013
    Tickets are $20.00. Showtime is 8pm.

http://www.thewinchester.net/concertschedule.html

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    When will this band get serious about management & promotion!
    Maybe they already did, as the West coast itinerary was just changed and the (just announced) Cleveland show doesn't list MTWA, ... only Nektar.
    Last edited by Mick; 04-30-2013 at 06:19 PM.

^ I'm hoping, but I'm staying firmly rooted in healthy suspicion.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

What is the lineup for Nektar these days?
    “We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone.” Orson Welles

Quote Originally Posted by DaleGtr View Post
    What is the lineup for Nektar these days?
    For the USA, it's the same "live" line-up as 2011...
    Roye Albrighton & Ron Howden, with Klaus Hanetsch on keys and Lux Vibratos on bass.

See http://www.thenektarproject.com/geew...D=164&PID=1079
    Last edited by Mick; 05-01-2013 at 07:46 AM.

Thanks, Mick. Are you making any of the shows?
    “We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone.” Orson Welles

an excellent lineup based on the shows they did in '11

Quote Originally Posted by DaleGtr View Post
    Mick. Are you making any of the shows?
    NO...
    Unfortunately (or not..lol) I have my own 3-day gig the same weekend they are on the East coast... I'm doing the projections for Illumenatrix at the Jibberjazz MadSummer Meltdown #4 in Schuylkill PA, thus I'm unable to make the Sellersville show like I did in 2011.
    I also don't yet know who is doing lights for the tour.

BTW, the latest Nektar/MTWA 2013 tour dates are updated regularly @...
    http://www.thenektarproject.com/geew...013-tour-dates
    Last edited by Mick; 05-02-2013 at 07:59 PM.