Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 113

Thread: YES ... or not

  1. #51
    Member Mr.Krautman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Brussels
    Posts
    876
    Quote Originally Posted by auxfnx View Post
    a bit melodramatic
    It was supposed to be...
    But it's REALLY how I feel about all this s**t.

  2. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Krautman View Post
    This just makes me realize how lucky I was to be born before tha A.I era.
    Frightening !
    Music (and Arts in general) is dead.
    And the biggest damage(s) to humanity are yet to come.
    I'll have no regrets leaving this world... it's not my anymore.
    I agree. I’m 64, entertainment wise, anything worthwhile is in the past.

  3. #53
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    16,860
    The clip from the OP was taken down, at least where I am. I didn't even get to hear it!

  4. #54
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    16,860
    Quote Originally Posted by Czyszy View Post
    I also refuse to listen to it. B)
    Hey, BTW, do you have a new album almost ready?

  5. #55
    Member Koreabruce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Chuncheon, South Korea
    Posts
    1,538
    If anyone still wants to hear this, here is a link to it in my Dropbox. I'll leave this up for a day or so:

    https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/tkmxo...o2ahufkgm&dl=0

  6. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    If anyone still wants to hear this, here is a link to it in my Dropbox. I'll leave this up for a day or so:

    https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/tkmxo...o2ahufkgm&dl=0
    Thank you I really appreciate the chance to hear it more than once.

  7. #57
    On a more positive note, AI will give us the opportunity to enjoy some new perspectives on Yes. For instance...
    At last an album with the Bruford/Moraz combination.
    The much anticipated symphonic reggae version of CTTE.
    The scary hybrid Open Your Eyes / Heaven and Earth with new artwork in the vein of Jon Anderson's True.
    Tormato meets The Quest with special guest Ted Nugent.
    The whole catalogue sung by Steve Howe.
    The whole catalogue with the drum sounds replaced with Jon Anderson singing Cha Cha Cha.

  8. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    If anyone still wants to hear this, here is a link to it in my Dropbox. I'll leave this up for a day or so:

    https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/tkmxo...o2ahufkgm&dl=0
    Thanks for that , there's even some 'mellotron' on Where we're going

  9. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by Interstellar View Post
    On a more positive note, AI will give us the opportunity to enjoy some new perspectives on Yes. For instance...
    At last an album with the Bruford/Moraz combination.
    The much anticipated symphonic reggae version of CTTE.
    The scary hybrid Open Your Eyes / Heaven and Earth with new artwork in the vein of Jon Anderson's True.
    Tormato meets The Quest with special guest Ted Nugent.
    The whole catalogue sung by Steve Howe.
    The whole catalogue with the drum sounds replaced with Jon Anderson singing Cha Cha Cha.

    Or even a Chris Squire's follow up to Fish out of Water

  10. #60
    Having listened to it twice, I will say that it's Yes-ish especially if you like 4/4 time.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

  11. #61
    Quote Originally Posted by Derk View Post
    Or even a Chris Squire's follow up to Fish out of Water
    Titled Fishy Old Walter
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

  12. #62
    I've listened to this a couple of times and I don't believe it's all AI-generated, with the exception of Anderson's voice. I think it's most likely an artist/producer doing a YES pastiche in a post-TALK-era style with real instruments (except for those drums). I think the vocal melodies and lyrics were composed by a human that was then augmented by AI that was fed a ton of Anderson's vocal references to create an admittedly pretty remarkable facsimile of Anderson's phrasing, pronunciation, and tone. But I don't think it was actually composed by AI. Just my .02 cents worth.

  13. #63
    Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Smyrna, GA
    Posts
    1,160
    Quote Originally Posted by 10T Records View Post
    I've listened to this a couple of times and I don't believe it's all AI-generated, with the exception of Anderson's voice. I think it's most likely an artist/producer doing a YES pastiche in a post-TALK-era style with real instruments (except for those drums). I think the vocal melodies and lyrics were composed by a human that was then augmented by AI that was fed a ton of Anderson's vocal references to create an admittedly pretty remarkable facsimile of Anderson's phrasing, pronunciation, and tone. But I don't think it was actually composed by AI. Just my .02 cents worth.
    I think you are right. It’s similar to the process used to create this fake Oasis album:

    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

  14. #64
    The eons are closing
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    NY/NJ
    Posts
    3,963
    This JA is not as convincing but in spots, very close

    https://youtu.be/RRcdcNoOsXc?si=43DlnuKoItUgK5gD

    Sent from my NE2217 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

  15. #65
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2023
    Location
    Southern California, US
    Posts
    505
    Quote Originally Posted by fiberman View Post
    Thank you I really appreciate the chance to hear it more than once.
    Ditto and I really appreciate the chance to hear it once (since I was too late for the YT posting).
    What we feel we have to solve is why the dregs have not dissolved.

  16. #66
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    459
    "No AI .. no Yes"
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

  17. #67
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Iowa City IA
    Posts
    2,494
    Quote Originally Posted by 10T Records View Post
    I've listened to this a couple of times and I don't believe it's all AI-generated, with the exception of Anderson's voice. I think it's most likely an artist/producer doing a YES pastiche in a post-TALK-era style with real instruments (except for those drums). I think the vocal melodies and lyrics were composed by a human that was then augmented by AI that was fed a ton of Anderson's vocal references to create an admittedly pretty remarkable facsimile of Anderson's phrasing, pronunciation, and tone. But I don't think it was actually composed by AI. Just my .02 cents worth.
    I'm sure you know far more than I do about the technological limits of AI. So I'll defer to you and knowledgeable others here about feasibility. But... Consider how downright bad this AI Yes thing is as a musical composition. If a human actually wrote this they would have put in some repeated hooks and riffs, a catchy melody, a crescendo, some resolution. This thing goes on and on for absolutely no purpose. That to me suggests pure AI. Just spitting out inoffensive and harmonious drivel for as long as a user requests it.

    Listen to it for 20-30 seconds you might say "wow this sounds amazing." I forced myself to listen for about 10 minutes and my brain says "make it stop! now..."

  18. #68
    This is 100% AI. The music was not created by a person. The sound is immediately recognisable if familiar with the current output of AI music generators.
    I suggest that if anyone doesn't believe this is AI, go to Udio and try generating something. You'll see then.

  19. #69
    Member Koreabruce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Chuncheon, South Korea
    Posts
    1,538
    Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    I'm sure you know far more than I do about the technological limits of AI. So I'll defer to you and knowledgeable others here about feasibility. But... Consider how downright bad this AI Yes thing is as a musical composition. If a human actually wrote this they would have put in some repeated hooks and riffs, a catchy melody, a crescendo, some resolution. This thing goes on and on for absolutely no purpose. That to me suggests pure AI. Just spitting out inoffensive and harmonious drivel for as long as a user requests it.

    Listen to it for 20-30 seconds you might say "wow this sounds amazing." I forced myself to listen for about 10 minutes and my brain says "make it stop! now..."
    An astute observation. I struggled to listen to this and actually made it roughly halfway through even though all along, I was keenly aware of an odd sort of discomfort. As you pointed out, it was undoubtedly my involuntary reaction to a mentally destabilizing 20-minute jaunt through the aural uncanny valley.

    That said, I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn that various short snippets of 5-10 seconds were in fact composed by a human and then the whole lot thrown into the generative AI blender to create these 'songs.' But perhaps we'll never know, and it frankly doesn't matter... at all.

  20. #70
    Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    If anyone still wants to hear this, here is a link to it in my Dropbox. I'll leave this up for a day or so:

    https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/tkmxo...o2ahufkgm&dl=0

    I wanted to hold out on this, but I was tempted to hear a little and join the conversation, so thank you for posting the link.

    The Jon voice is somewhat convincing but I absolutely hate the uniformity of the backing voices, chiming out repetitive echoing lines, it’s not especially Yes-like. The music is ultra-bland too, one paced, lacking any memorable melody. To nail a Yes pastiche they really need better bass lines too, nothing says counterfeit so much as the absence of any trademark Squire playing.

    Having said that, I cannot really believe that technology has come to the point where this was all generated from AI, yet it does lack a certain element of human spark and warmth, so in that respect it is believable. Overall my initial scepticism and wariness was well founded. I’ll never need to listen to this again.

  21. #71
    I will in no way encourage the use of AI especially in thievery of artist sound and style. I hate my encounters with the old-fashioned robot interfaces and despise the new generation of shit being shoveled at the American consumer.

  22. #72
    Quote Originally Posted by 10T Records View Post
    I've listened to this a couple of times and I don't believe it's all AI-generated, with the exception of Anderson's voice. I think it's most likely an artist/producer doing a YES pastiche in a post-TALK-era style with real instruments (except for those drums). I think the vocal melodies and lyrics were composed by a human that was then augmented by AI that was fed a ton of Anderson's vocal references to create an admittedly pretty remarkable facsimile of Anderson's phrasing, pronunciation, and tone. But I don't think it was actually composed by AI. Just my .02 cents worth.
    You're definitely wrong about this. It's totally AI. Lots of tell-tale signs. You could easily churn something like this out yourself if you had the patience to play the AI roulette until you had pieces you were happy with. You'd end up with something just as crappy and pointless as this.

  23. #73
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Holm-Lupo View Post
    You're definitely wrong about this. It's totally AI. Lots of tell-tale signs. You could easily churn something like this out yourself if you had the patience to play the AI roulette until you had pieces you were happy with. You'd end up with something just as crappy and pointless as this.
    I'll take your word for it. And for the record, I agree that it's crappy and pointless. And I'll add meandering and pedestrian and boring. Sonically it's off-putting for its entirety. Which begs the question...why?

  24. #74
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Holm-Lupo View Post
    You're definitely wrong about this. It's totally AI. Lots of tell-tale signs. You could easily churn something like this out yourself if you had the patience to play the AI roulette until you had pieces you were happy with. You'd end up with something just as crappy and pointless as this.
    Yeah I don't know how many times I need to say it but if anyone who doubts just goes to Udio and generates something they'll see how this is also totally AI. It's very clear. All this 'there must be a person involved at least writing some of it' might just be copium.

  25. #75
    Quote Originally Posted by 10T Records View Post
    I'll take your word for it. And for the record, I agree that it's crappy and pointless. And I'll add meandering and pedestrian and boring. Sonically it's off-putting for its entirety. Which begs the question...why?
    Same reason folks make crappy fan trailers for movies and then put "OFFICIAL TRAILER" all over their video descriptions...for the attention?

    Case in point: how many additional listens (and even some degree of likes) did this video get as a result of posting over here?
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

    Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •