Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 122

Thread: ASIA, FOCUS, MARTIN TURNER & CURVED AIR tour?

  1. #51
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    362
    Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    "Jul 30: MO St Charles The Armada Theatre" should actually read "IL St Charles The Arcada Theater."

    Curved Air is going to be an acoustic set. Sonja with a guitarist and violin.
    At least the guitarist is from their heyday: Kirby Gregory was with the band in early 70's (and now, he's in his early 70's )

  2. #52
    Member rapidfirerob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    near Berkeley, Ca.
    Posts
    1,215
    I have to see Curved Air and Focus. I’m a CA Patreon. I wish it was a full band. I have never seen any iteration of the band. I saw Focus once at Philharmonic Hall in 73. I love Wishbone Ash and have seen them numerous times. Hopefully Martin Turner’s version is good. Not an Asia fan, but open to hearing them live. Probably fly out to Wisconsin where another Patreon of Sonja lives.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    OK. But even with John Mitchel and Vigil Donati, it's still just ASIA music. An Asia cover band.

    I'll have to go just to see Focus & Curved Air, which I have never seen before. And Roger Dean will there also so that's always a treat.
    The first time we had an Asia line-up with Downes as the only original member was thirty years ago. It's not exactly a novelty. Asia is Geoff plus whoever.
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

  4. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Well, the Downes part was right!
    Yep, they blindsided me!

    This is the John Wetton memorial concert line-up, but with a different rhythm section. Mitchell was in Icon and the John Wetton Band, so a sensible choice. Donati played with Wetton briefly in a late UK reunion line-up. They're sensible choices.
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

  5. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Last date of this tour is July 31st. First date of the Yes tour is August 14th. My guess is this is it for Asia dates this go-round anyway.
    And of course yes are also not coming west. And still waiting on Jon Anderson to announce the promised further dates. Feeling pretty unloved here in north California.

  6. #56
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    287
    Other than Downes, I didn’t have any of these guys on my Bingo card.

  7. #57
    Member gearHed289's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    733
    I'm a fan of just about everything John Mitchell has done, so I may end up going to this. Haven't seen Asia since the first tour and never saw any of the other bands. Always a good time at the Arcada.

  8. #58
    4 bands playing a summer tour. It's going to be heavy on the hits. I'd go were I local to the tour.
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

  9. #59
    Member Mascodagama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    7th Circle of Brexit
    Posts
    2,186
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXymphonia View Post
    Learn drums you lazy bastard.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

    Bandcamp Profile

  10. #60
    Member Rajaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    New Scotland, Canada
    Posts
    1,059
    After the departure of Steve Howe and death of John Wetton, Asia should have folded for good. But then, Downes assembled a group with "Bumblefoot" Thal & Billy Sherwood and now this one with John Mitchell and Harry Witley without Palmer who has his own ELP tribute tour.
    The Asia name should have been retired long ago but the money grab keeps resurfacing multiple times. But it's a free world and everyone can choose to attend or pass.

  11. #61
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    739
    Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post
    After the departure of Steve Howe and death of John Wetton, Asia should have folded for good. But then, Downes assembled a group with "Bumblefoot" Thal & Billy Sherwood and now this one with John Mitchell and Harry Witley without Palmer who has his own ELP tribute tour.
    The Asia name should have been retired long ago but the money grab keeps resurfacing multiple times. But it's a free world and everyone can choose to attend or pass.
    Asia is not why we bought tickets to this tour, but with this lineup playing with Geoff it will be a lot of fun. If Geoff is going to go out with Asia there are a lot worse ways to do it. Donati and Mitchell are fantastic and will make for an enjoyable set (I don't know Witley beyond the video I saw here, but it seems like he's a good choice, as well). Should be a really fun evening - I never thought I'd catch Focus in the states and that alone was enough for me to be in on this.

  12. #62
    Member lazland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    673
    Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post
    After the departure of Steve Howe and death of John Wetton, Asia should have folded for good. But then, Downes assembled a group with "Bumblefoot" Thal & Billy Sherwood and now this one with John Mitchell and Harry Witley without Palmer who has his own ELP tribute tour.
    The Asia name should have been retired long ago but the money grab keeps resurfacing multiple times. But it's a free world and everyone can choose to attend or pass.
    In all honesty, I think that talk of a "money grab" is perhaps slightly inaccurate. I can't see this making them a fortune. Everybody is aware that Wetton is dead, and Howe & Palmer no longer play with them, and as much as I admire Mitchell, I can't see hoards of screaming Yanks going to see him. Further, there are four acts on this tour, so ticket sales in what I imagine (not knowing, having never been to US Yankeeland) are relatively mid-size venues are being split, and then the session musicians have to be paid, not to mention all the travel and accommodation costs & etc.
    I review and blog at www.lazland.org

  13. #63
    Member Man In The Mountain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Chicago area
    Posts
    1,088
    Quote Originally Posted by lazland View Post
    In all honesty, I think that talk of a "money grab" is perhaps slightly inaccurate. I can't see this making them a fortune. Everybody is aware that Wetton is dead, and Howe & Palmer no longer play with them, and as much as I admire Mitchell, I can't see hoards of screaming Yanks going to see him. Further, there are four acts on this tour, so ticket sales in what I imagine (not knowing, having never been to US Yankeeland) are relatively mid-size venues are being split, and then the session musicians have to be paid, not to mention all the travel and accommodation costs & etc.
    Agree, but still, it is curious that the tour is billed highlighting ASIA, with three opening bands. Why not call it the "The Summer Prog Tour featuring Asia, Focus, etc...." I suppose they think ASIA is a big brand name and that's where the ticket sales will generate.... with a little help from the other bands.

  14. #64
    No Money grabs. These guys are niche honestly, semi-retired, and lucky to play cruise ships or casinos and make maybe 10-15 grand a set divided amongst the bandmembers. We know who they are and what they've done. We are minority. I have to admire them though for still going on.
    Still alive and well...
    https://bakullama1.bandcamp.com/

  15. #65
    Jazzbo manqué Mister Triscuits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Utopia
    Posts
    5,440
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Last date of this tour is July 31st. First date of the Yes tour is August 14th. My guess is this is it for Asia dates this go-round anyway.
    I have little interest in seeing Asia, no matter who’s in the band. It would be cool if the other three carried on and came out west. Ain’t gonna happen, but it would be cool.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

  16. #66
    Member rickawakeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Posts
    1,066
    Just got the Chevalier (Medford MA) show notice via the Wilbur email...with no mention of anyone on the bill except Asia,"The Heat of the Moment Tour". Bio appears as follows:

    "2024 is the Year Of The Dragon

    In 1982 John Wetton, Geoff Downes, Carl Palmer and Steve Howe became the founding fathers of super group Asia, responsible for a string of multi-million selling albums and chart topping hits across the globe. Asia’s self-titled1982 debut album was the biggest selling album in the world. The band dominated the airwaves and for many “Heat Of The Moment”, “Only Time Will Tell” and “Sole Survivor”, amongst others, were the soundtrack to their youth.

    Another multi-million seller, “Alpha” followed in 1983 and in 1986 “Astra” competed the trio of MTV era hits. Greg Lake briefly joined the band for a Japanese tour where Asia’s show from the fabled Budokan was the first inter-continental simulcast. In 2006, the founder members reformed and released several new albums before John Wetton’s untimely passing in 2017. Since John’s passing, Geoff and Carl have toured with Sam Coulson, Billy Sherwood, Ron Bumblefoot Thal and Steve Howe guesting, and had a tour planned with Marc Bonilla on vocal duties that did not materialize due to Covid.

    In the Summer of 2023, Geoff Downes spear-headed a memorial concert to remember and celebrate the life of his late, much-loved friend and Asia co-founder member, the great John Wetton. At the concert, he invited rock n roll veteran John Mitchell – who had played with both Wetton and Downes in Icon and in Wetton’s own band – to join him on stage, taking on lead guitar duties. The duo were joined by new-comer Harry Whitley, who Downes had discovered and whose vocal talents so closely resembled that of Wetton’s it was nothing short of spine-tingling. Together they played a number of Asia’s chart-topping hits. The reception was uproarious and It became clear that something magical was happening. Perhaps, thought Downes, it was time to bring the songs of Asia to a whole new audience? The dragon began to stir once more.

    Busy touring the globe, the great Carl Palmer is immersed in a project very dear to his heart, the Return Of Emerson Lake & Palmer. The legendary Steve Howe remains at the helm of progressive rock legends, Yes. So it was that Geoff made the decision to take a fresh, new-look Asia back out on the road, recruiting Mitchell and Whitley as new members and bringing in the drumming excellence of the incomparable Virgil Donati, who had played with Wetton in UK.

    Asia has entertained and delighted a multitude of audiences and millions of people over the last 40 years. Some of the world’s greatest musicians have taken up the Asia baton during that time. However Geoff Downes believes that the time is right to bring a fresh, new-look Asia out into the light.

    The Year of the Dragon foretells good fortune, abundance and prosperity. The Dragon blessed 1982, the year Asia was first unleashed into the world – and here we are again. The journey has come full-circle. Time for the dragon to take flight once more.

  17. #67
    Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    Just got the Chevalier (Medford MA) show notice via the Wilbur email...with no mention of anyone on the bill except Asia,"The Heat of the Moment Tour". Bio appears as follows:

    "2024 is the Year Of The Dragon

    In 1982 John Wetton, Geoff Downes, Carl Palmer and Steve Howe became the founding fathers of super group Asia, responsible for a string of multi-million selling albums and chart topping hits across the globe. Asia’s self-titled1982 debut album was the biggest selling album in the world. The band dominated the airwaves and for many “Heat Of The Moment”, “Only Time Will Tell” and “Sole Survivor”, amongst others, were the soundtrack to their youth.

    Another multi-million seller, “Alpha” followed in 1983 and in 1986 “Astra” competed the trio of MTV era hits. Greg Lake briefly joined the band for a Japanese tour where Asia’s show from the fabled Budokan was the first inter-continental simulcast. In 2006, the founder members reformed and released several new albums before John Wetton’s untimely passing in 2017. Since John’s passing, Geoff and Carl have toured with Sam Coulson, Billy Sherwood, Ron Bumblefoot Thal and Steve Howe guesting, and had a tour planned with Marc Bonilla on vocal duties that did not materialize due to Covid.

    In the Summer of 2023, Geoff Downes spear-headed a memorial concert to remember and celebrate the life of his late, much-loved friend and Asia co-founder member, the great John Wetton. At the concert, he invited rock n roll veteran John Mitchell – who had played with both Wetton and Downes in Icon and in Wetton’s own band – to join him on stage, taking on lead guitar duties. The duo were joined by new-comer Harry Whitley, who Downes had discovered and whose vocal talents so closely resembled that of Wetton’s it was nothing short of spine-tingling. Together they played a number of Asia’s chart-topping hits. The reception was uproarious and It became clear that something magical was happening. Perhaps, thought Downes, it was time to bring the songs of Asia to a whole new audience? The dragon began to stir once more.

    Busy touring the globe, the great Carl Palmer is immersed in a project very dear to his heart, the Return Of Emerson Lake & Palmer. The legendary Steve Howe remains at the helm of progressive rock legends, Yes. So it was that Geoff made the decision to take a fresh, new-look Asia back out on the road, recruiting Mitchell and Whitley as new members and bringing in the drumming excellence of the incomparable Virgil Donati, who had played with Wetton in UK.

    Asia has entertained and delighted a multitude of audiences and millions of people over the last 40 years. Some of the world’s greatest musicians have taken up the Asia baton during that time. However Geoff Downes believes that the time is right to bring a fresh, new-look Asia out into the light.

    The Year of the Dragon foretells good fortune, abundance and prosperity. The Dragon blessed 1982, the year Asia was first unleashed into the world – and here we are again. The journey has come full-circle. Time for the dragon to take flight once more.
    WOW! Talk about Marketing! I honestly hope they do well with this.
    Still alive and well...
    https://bakullama1.bandcamp.com/

  18. #68
    Member rickawakeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Posts
    1,066
    I wasn't aware that John Mitchell played in Wetton's band. I have a couple of great live Wetton releases with the wonderful Dave Kilminster on guitar.

  19. #69
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    4,520
    I have to wonder how big the other three were in the US anyway? In the UK, they were successful but all peaked commercially in the early 70s.

  20. #70
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Burlington Twp, NJ
    Posts
    2,306
    Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    I wasn't aware that John Mitchell played in Wetton's band
    I wasn't either - just came across this from 21 (!) years ago.

    John Wetton - Bass
    John Mitchell - Guitar
    Martin Orford - Keyboard
    Steve Christey - Drums


  21. #71
    Jazzbo manqué Mister Triscuits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Utopia
    Posts
    5,440
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I have to wonder how big the other three were in the US anyway? In the UK, they were successful but all peaked commercially in the early 70s.
    Focus is the only one who would be familiar to the general public, and they are mostly remembered as a one-hit wonder/novelty act for "Hocus Pocus." Still, their albums sold, if not in huge numbers. Wishbone Ash had a bunch of albums that crept into the bottom regions of the charts, so they must have had some following, but only Wishbone Four came near to cracking the Top 40. (I have no idea why it was that one and not Argus, which is the only one I remember getting any airplay, but which charted at a dismal #169.) Curved Air was virtually unknown here. Although I do remember them getting some airplay, mostly for Phantasmagoria, none of their albums touched the charts.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

  22. #72
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    9,806
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Focus is the only one who would be familiar to the general public, and they are mostly remembered as a one-hit wonder/novelty act for "Hocus Pocus." Still, their albums sold, if not in huge numbers. Wishbone Ash had a bunch of albums that crept into the bottom regions of the charts, so they must have had some following, but only Wishbone Four came near to cracking the Top 40. (I have no idea why it was that one and not Argus, which is the only one I remember getting any airplay, but which charted at a dismal #169.) Curved Air was virtually unknown here. Although I do remember them getting some airplay, mostly for Phantasmagoria, none of their albums touched the charts.
    When Focus and Wishbone Ash (the Andy Powell official version) tour the U.S. they typically play small venues to a few hundred fans. I am not sure that Martin Turner's version has ever toured over here. I would agree that Curved Air is pretty much unknown except for some hard core proggers.

  23. #73
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Carefree Highway, Arizona
    Posts
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    Busy touring the globe, the great Carl Palmer is immersed in a project very dear to his heart, the Return Of Emerson Lake & Palmer. The legendary Steve Howe remains at the helm of progressive rock legends, Yes. So it was that Geoff made the decision to take a fresh, new-look Asia back out on the road, recruiting Mitchell and Whitley as new members and bringing in the drumming excellence of the incomparable Virgil Donati, who had played with Wetton in UK.
    If Howe is too busy because of Yes, shouldn't it stand to reason that Downes would be too busy because of Yes as well?

  24. #74
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    739
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggie87 View Post
    If Howe is too busy because of Yes, shouldn't it stand to reason that Downes would be too busy because of Yes as well?
    Maybe Howe just doesn’t want to do multiple bands at his age?

  25. #75
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Wishbone Ash had a bunch of albums that crept into the bottom regions of the charts, so they must have had some following, but only Wishbone Four came near to cracking the Top 40. (I have no idea why it was that one and not Argus, which is the only one I remember getting any airplay, but which charted at a dismal #169.)
    Often, if you have an artistically successful album, it will be the album after that that gets the chart peak, off the back of the popularity for the former album. Chart peaks need sales concentrated in the first few weeks. Thus, Wishbone Four charts better than Argus in the US, or Tales charts better than Close to the Edge in the UK.
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •