Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 47

Thread: Jeff Lynne's ELO Farewell Tour?

  1. #1
    Member dgtlman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    OKC, OK
    Posts
    586

    Jeff Lynne's ELO Farewell Tour?

    Is it really the end? Here's a list of tour dates.

    https://www.jambase.com/article/jeff...-north-america

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Burlington Twp, NJ
    Posts
    2,306
    I'd like to see this, but cautious on ticket prices. We'll see when the presales start tomorrow what it looks like.

  3. #3
    Yikes, he'll be in Pittsburgh right before the Burton Cummings show that I dropped $500 on for VIP tickets. I'm sure ELO tix will be pretty high.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

  4. #4
    cunning linguist 3LockBox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Posts
    3,692
    I saw Lynne's ELO back in '19 in the Tacoma Dome (WA). It was (I think) the 4th show on the tour with my wife, my daughter and her boyfriend. Jeff was in great form and it was a great looking show. Lynne sang on every song. Dahni Harrison was the warm-up act (meh) but Dahni did join Lynne on stage midway through and they performed some Traveling Whilbury stuff. I saw some videos of the tour later on that year and Lynne wasn't singing every song, one of the backup singers was. Lynne would chime in on the choruses but mostly strumming his guitar.

    My daughter's favorite band as a teenager was ELO. She was watching some old videos on YT and freaked out when I told her I had most of their CDs.

  5. #5
    Member JohnG's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2022
    Location
    Massapequa Park NY
    Posts
    41
    Checked out the Artist Presale today and the cheapest ticket for MSG is $220e. Not many tickets available and in poor locations. Will wait for further presales or the general sale. One can also wait till the day before or night of and try the Gametime app. Got into Genesis at USB for $50 a few years ago.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Burlington Twp, NJ
    Posts
    2,306
    I grabbed a $229 ticket 25th row center for Philly in the presale today. What a mess though - I ran into multiple "Bad Gateway" pages (and perusing the Jeff Lynne facebook group, it appears I wasn't alone). $229 was higher than I wanted to spend - I was shooting for $150, but that price bracket was quite a bit further back. The prices were staggered - $800 for the first few rows, then $549, $449, etc. The 24th row was $279, so I grabbed a ticket in the first row of the $229 tickets. It will be my first and last time to see Lynne.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Carefree Highway, Arizona
    Posts
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    I grabbed a $229 ticket 25th row center for Philly in the presale today. What a mess though - I ran into multiple "Bad Gateway" pages (and perusing the Jeff Lynne facebook group, it appears I wasn't alone). $229 was higher than I wanted to spend - I was shooting for $150, but that price bracket was quite a bit further back. The prices were staggered - $800 for the first few rows, then $549, $449, etc. The 24th row was $279, so I grabbed a ticket in the first row of the $229 tickets. It will be my first and last time to see Lynne.
    I saw the 2018 show (in Houston) and thought it was fantastic. I think you'll be happy you saw him. I bought tickets today for the Phoenix show for my wife and I - $194 apiece for decent seats about 10 rows up on the right side of the arena. Didn't consider floor seats because my wife can't see over the top of people standing in front of her.

  8. #8
    Enterprise Center St. Louis $ 1.00 to $ 6.00

    But if you go to Ticket Master, you get the real prices.

  9. #9
    Screw that. I'm not paying $200/ticket.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    NH, USA
    Posts
    301
    I'm absolutely flabbergasted that ELO is not only performing in 20,000 seat venues but charging $250 to $500 a seat. Has their stature really risen that much since 2001? Didn't they cancel a US tour in 2001 due to poor ticket sales? Good for them if they can do it, I guess. But I thought the tours that ELO/Jeff Lynne had been doing in the intervening years were in smaller venues and in only certain markets of the country.

  11. #11
    Member chalkpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    8,238
    12.8 mil monthly listeners on Spotify, nothing to sneeze at. Floyd is at 18.6 mil, so there is some perspective. I'm actually very surprised at how popular they still are. BTW, I love my old man's original Out of the Blue and Eldorado vinyl.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Iowa City IA
    Posts
    2,467
    ^^^ This is an interesting hypothesis: streaming may have revived the live demand for classic-era bands. Back in 2001 you either knew the music or you didn't. Youngsters weren't going to plunk down $10 for a best-of CD. But now youngsters and oldsters alike have the music at their fingertips. The logical next step for those who get hooked or re-hooked is what the heck, I'd like to see them live.

    It is consistent with reports of bands like the new Foreigner selling out 5-10,000 seat arenas. Twenty years ago they were strictly a club/casino act

  13. #13
    Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    10,137
    I love ELO - I think Eldorado is perfect or near perfect. The string of on The Third Day through Face The Music is classic. I'd pay those prices in a minute but I'm not driving 4 to 5 hours to Toronto both ways, hotel, gas, time off work, etc. If they played Montreal I'd go in an instant.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 03-20-2024 at 08:32 PM.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    9,806
    Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    I'm absolutely flabbergasted that ELO is not only performing in 20,000 seat venues but charging $250 to $500 a seat. Has their stature really risen that much since 2001? Didn't they cancel a US tour in 2001 due to poor ticket sales? Good for them if they can do it, I guess. But I thought the tours that ELO/Jeff Lynne had been doing in the intervening years were in smaller venues and in only certain markets of the country.
    Was that the "Zoom" tour? I seem to remember them having a hard time selling tickets back then too. I saw the last tour in 2018 and they sold out a 20,000 seat arena in Detroit with ease.

  15. #15
    I remember PBS showed a "dress rehearsal" type set with that band in 2001 that ended up not touring.

  16. #16
    Member Koreabruce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Chuncheon, South Korea
    Posts
    1,518
    Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    I'm absolutely flabbergasted that ELO is not only performing in 20,000 seat venues but charging $250 to $500 a seat. Has their stature really risen that much since 2001? Didn't they cancel a US tour in 2001 due to poor ticket sales? Good for them if they can do it, I guess. But I thought the tours that ELO/Jeff Lynne had been doing in the intervening years were in smaller venues and in only certain markets of the country.
    As I understand it, 9/11 may have impacted the tour getting canceled. I could be mistaken, but I seem to recall reading that somewhere.

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    4,520
    Lynne's comeback has been very well received in the UK- big shows at festivals, Wembley Arena etc. But in the US, I don't know. I know the last album From Out Of Nowhere greatly underperformed in the US. FWIW I didn't think it was that great an album though.

    Lee Pomeroy is still in the band I guess? He's had some high-profile gigs over the years. I first heard of him in Rick Wakeman's band in the 2000s, and when I saw Steve Hackett it was in that period where Pomeroy was filling in on bass.
    Last edited by JJ88; 03-21-2024 at 12:37 PM.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Lynne's comeback has been very well received in the UK- big shows at festivals, Wembley Arena etc. But in the US, I don't know. I know the last album From Out Of Nowhere greatly underperformed in the US. FWIW I didn't think it was that great an album though.

    Lee Pomeroy is still in the band I guess? He's had some high-profile gigs over the years. I first heard of him in Rick Wakeman's band in the 2000s, and when I saw Steve Hackett it was in that period where Pomeroy was filling in on bass.
    From out of knowhere is basicly Jeff Lynne solo.

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    4,520
    ^Really it is solo material yes- not much like the old ELO sound. But TBH that album felt like offcuts from the previous one Alone In The Universe, which I thought was a better effort. I wish he'd have got a proper drummer in on both of those albums.

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Burlington Twp, NJ
    Posts
    2,306
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggie87 View Post
    I saw the 2018 show (in Houston) and thought it was fantastic. I think you'll be happy you saw him.
    Thanks! Yeah, I am a fan of ELO (own almost all of their output) and most-things-Jeff-Lynne, so genuinely excited about this.

  21. #21
    Well, it looks like I'll be seeing the Pittsburgh show. My daughter bought my wife and I tickets for our birthdays.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

  22. #22
    My wife got tickets for MSG so I guess I'm going to this. I just hope the songs are not at half-speed. That's all I ask.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

  23. #23
    cunning linguist 3LockBox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Posts
    3,692
    Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    My wife got tickets for MSG so I guess I'm going to this. I just hope the songs are not at half-speed. That's all I ask.
    My doctor said I should avoid MSG

  24. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    9,806
    Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    My wife got tickets for MSG so I guess I'm going to this. I just hope the songs are not at half-speed. That's all I ask.
    Curious why you think it would be at half-speed? I saw the tour a few years ago and all of the songs basically sounded just like on the records. There was very little in the way of improvisation or stretching out instrumentally. They are kind of like The Eagles where they play the songs almost exactly as they were recorded.

  25. #25
    cunning linguist 3LockBox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Posts
    3,692
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Curious why you think it would be at half-speed? I saw the tour a few years ago and all of the songs basically sounded just like on the records. There was very little in the way of improvisation or stretching out instrumentally.
    this was my experience as well. Lynne must have had 15 people on stage with him.


    They are kind of like The Eagles where they play the songs almost exactly as they were recorded.
    well, rumor has it that they're playing to backing tracks (nowadays) of years older performances. In fact, I had my doubts back in '16 or '17 when we saw them in Seattle.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •