Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gentle Giant "The Missing Piece" CD/Blu-ray set w/ Atmos, 5.1, Stereo (2/26/2024)

Quote Originally Posted by Dok View Post
    Could be the vinyl holding things up. I think they were trying to release all the formats at once.
    ... or maybe green dies in short supply ?

This is the missing piece in my collection. (LOL)

Ordered!!!!

^ That's really lovely. Oddly, the version that YouTube recommended to me had only a still image throughout, being a collage of some of the black & white photos from this video.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Beautiful mix & stellar video from Noah!
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

It was these SW 5.1 mixes that finally got me to appreciate GG … I’ve been listening back to the prior releases. Never actually took the cello off Power/Glory. Now I discover that, although the jacket says CD and DVD, mine only has the CD. Probably too late to return it LOL. Oh well.

Got my shipping notice from LE today. Here it comes!
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

So I got it today.

Have to admit, the comments re: the album pushed it so far down my priorities list that I had never heard it before. I mean, even in streaming, I never queued it up.

Starting in reverse, first the conclusion. I am happy that I got this pressing/edition. However, it will be the last Gentle Giant album I will get. Chronologically speaking, of course; I will get "In a Glass House" and "Playing The Fool" if they release those.

A weird thought formed in my head while listening. "Abacab" (from Genesis) came to mind. NOT in style of course, but personally. "Abacab" was the last Genesis album that had songs that made me want to pay (get) the album. I mean, I ABSOLUTELY HATE 60% of "Abacab"; but I really like 40% of it.

The second side of "The Missing Piece" is absolutely classic GG and worth the price of the album. Now for the first side, which I really couldn't connect with, I will say: Indeed there is a difference and a change from previous albums. But also it hit me that this is A 1977 ALBUM! IMHO it was a bit early for zeitgeist induced simplification. I mean, in the same year Yes released "Going for the One", a very successful prog album. Pink Floyd released "Animals" and still had the "The Wall" ahead of them. So not sure why the impulse to simplify. Was it their own particular situation? Or they saw the future coming? Not sure.

Now regarding the actual music for that first side. It is not 80s pop, like Genesis did starting with 60% of Abacab and kept at that from then on. It wasn't new wave like that horrible Renaissance album whose name I am forgetting right now. It wasn't prog infused 80s AOR like Asia's or Yes' 90125. What GG did in the first side of this album is 1970s Pop Rock, maybe with a bit of the 1970s AOR style thrown in. I also hear a bit of 1970s Yacht Rock. That is, a very curious artifact. Not entirely bad IMHO, but I just could not connect to it. Not my taste and not what I wanted from GG.

Now, listening to this album gave me the impulse to stream "Civilian" and "Giant For a Day". Again, just could not connect with those at all. Hence my statement, in chronological order, "The Missing Piece" will be the last GG album I will be getting.

I have to repeat, still a mystery to me is the desire to streamline and simplify. In my belief it came too early and that baffles me.

I MAY BE WRONG, ALL IMHO, OF COURSE.
    Last edited by vmartell; 2 Weeks Ago at 01:51 PM.

Gave it a spin today for my 3 Mile Mall Mosey. 5 tunes from this album have been in daily rotation on my iPod playlists for years. Using the Grado earbud headphones that are quite sensitive. I have to say I was underwhelmed. Yes, everything was there…..but to me, the drums / percussion seemed dialed back a bit….no shimmer from the cymbals. I guess SW had to work with what he had but didn’t make for a more engaging album. The “extra” track at the end was interesting. A drum machine in 1976/77? Reminded me of “pong”. This was one of the tunes without vocals….i think I would dig a treatment of this especially since Gentle Giant is so intricate and the lack of vocals helps to hear what the instruments are doing. Will give it a listen tonight on the big system.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

I walked into my local HMV (And an independent record shop) last week and was gobsmacked to see Gentle Giant CD and Vinyl prominently displayed on the 'new releases' racks. I'd completely forgotten this was coming out.
    I was about to buy it when I realised I pre-ordered it from Burning Shed, who appear to have had a 'glitch' and delivery has been delayed.

It's a mixed album for me. I'm not that keen on the attempt at 'punk', but side 2 is excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by lovecraft View Post
    I think rap was largely unheard of in 77.....rolls eyes
    how about '81?

Boy, I'm listening to this and enjoying it a lot more than I remembered. The last "great" GG album IMHO, although it's a step down from what came before.

Memories Of Old Days is soooo gorgeous. I’m loving these latter seventies SW remixes. Betcha Thought We Couldn’t Do It had soured me on this album before this release.

yeah having actual bass on it changes a lot. I always thought this album was overlooked - Side 1 is alright, Side 2 is great. Civilian is a good one too. Giant for a Day is the only one that kinda sucks.
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

A couple of my internet music pals and I got together and did a discussion on this that's twice the length of the album.

We provide an overview of the album, compare and contrast the original mix with the new remix and provide a track by track discussion. Finally we summarize if its worth spending your hard earned prog cash on this new mix, based on your level of Gentle Giant enthusiasm. Check it out if you got an hour to kill !

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    ^ Cool, I'll listen to this tomorrow! Nice to see you in these parts. I'd love to hear/read the thoughts of someone familiar with this SW remix AND the remastered version that's included in the big GG box set (Unburied Treasure). Actually, I'd also be interested in comparisons of the one from Unburied Treasure with earlier CD releases.