Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 42

Thread: Gentle Giant "The Missing Piece" CD/Blu-ray set w/ Atmos, 5.1, Stereo (2/26/2024)

  1. #1

    Gentle Giant "The Missing Piece" CD/Blu-ray set w/ Atmos, 5.1, Stereo (2/26/2024)

    In 1977 Gentle Giant recorded their ninth studio album The Missing Piece. It was a time of change. Punk, disco and rap were altering the musical landscape and even this well-established progressive rock band were willing to explore new directions. Side one saw them experimenting with quirky pop ("Two Weeks In Spain"), a grandiose power ballad ("I'm Turning Around"), syncopated funk ("Who Do You Think You Are?") and even the punky aggression of "Betcha Thought We Couldn't Do It" Normal service was resumed on side two with some of their most sublime and intricate progressive stylings to date. It remains a polarizing effort amongst fans to this day, some bemused by its diversity, others enchanted by its versatility and sense of humor. The Missing Piece certainly proves that Gentle Giant could play anything they set their minds to. It was the last Gentle Giant album to chart in the USA. Award winning producer and musician Steven Wilson continues his association with the band, remixing the album in Dolby Atmos, Stereo and 5. 1 surround sound. In addition the digipak CD/Blu-ray set also contains an instrumental mix, the original 1977 stereo mix and videos for each track.

    Tracklist
    1. Two Weeks In Spain
    2. I'm Turning Around
    3. Betcha Thought We Couldn't Do It
    4. Who Do You Think You Are?
    5. Mountain Time
    6. As Old As You're Young
    7. Memories Of Old Days
    8. Winning
    9. For Nobody
    10. Winning (Outtake)

    Release date is 2/16/2024

    CD/Blu-ray Set
    US - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CRLGRPVN/?tag=imwan-20
    CA - Available for pre-order soon: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0CRLGRPVN/?tag=imwanca-20
    UK - Available for pre-order soon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0CRLGRPVN/?tag=imwan-21

    CD Standalone
    US - Available for pre-order soon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CRLJMW9L/?tag=imwan-20
    CA - Available for pre-order soon: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0CRLJMW9L/?tag=imwanca-20
    UK - Available for pre-order soon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0CRLJMW9L/?tag=imwan-21
    Last edited by starless and bible black; 01-06-2024 at 10:04 AM.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Isle of Bute
    Posts
    453
    I think rap was largely unheard of in 77.....rolls eyes

  3. #3
    Member Zeuhlmate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    7,341
    For Nobody is a great track!

    The sound on the original album sucks. No bass for example.

  4. #4
    Member Mr.Krautman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Brussels
    Posts
    849
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    For Nobody is a great track!

    The sound on the original album sucks. No bass for example.
    Yes, one of the worst sounding GG records, must be a processing error in the original mastering. It sounds like a RIAA equalized vinyl played without replay equalization: excessive treble and no bass frequencies at all.
    My old CD re-issue is no better.
    Hopefully this issue has been adressed by S.W now.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by lovecraft View Post
    I think rap was largely unheard of in 77.....rolls eyes
    It was a time of change. Punk, disco, dubstep, crunkcore, and screamo were altering the musical landscape...

  6. #6
    Member interbellum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Xymphonia-city
    Posts
    4,684
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Krautman View Post
    Hopefully this issue has been adressed by S.W now.
    See the original post: S.W. did the job indeed!

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by lovecraft View Post
    I think rap was largely unheard of in 77.....rolls eyes
    You're right; Rap was just getting started & several years from "altering the musical landscape" when The Missing Piece came out back in 1977. Oh Well...

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Isle of Bute
    Posts
    453
    Probably AI generated blurb.

  9. #9
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    16,677
    Dammit, even after buying the Mammoth GG Box Set I still have to keep buying these reissues! I wonder if they'll ever release all the GG albums Wislon remixed in a little boxed set. Remember they released something with the Yes albums or something like that, but I don't know if that was ever a physical release or just something they put on the streaming services. Very unlikely I'm sure.

  10. #10
    Jazzbo manqué Mister Triscuits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Utopia
    Posts
    5,440
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Remember they released something with the Yes albums or something like that, but I don't know if that was ever a physical release or just something they put on the streaming services.
    It was a physical release, I think on vinyl only.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

  11. #11
    Member Mr.Krautman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Brussels
    Posts
    849
    Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    See the original post: S.W. did the job indeed!
    Yes, I've seen that.

    But there's no mention about the low frequency (bass) issue and if it was corrected.

    So far I allways called this GG record "The Missing Bass".

  12. #12
    Member interbellum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Xymphonia-city
    Posts
    4,684
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Krautman View Post
    Yes, I've seen that.

    But there's no mention about the low frequency (bass) issue and if it was corrected.

    So far I allways called this GG record "The Missing Bass".
    I see, I first misread your post.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Philadelphia Area
    Posts
    1,807
    I’m interested. I still enjoy the album. Somehow though I’m not expecting any miracles.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  14. #14
    (not his real name) no.nine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    90
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Krautman View Post
    Yes, one of the worst sounding GG records, must be a processing error in the original mastering. It sounds like a RIAA equalized vinyl played without replay equalization: excessive treble and no bass frequencies at all.
    The explanation I've heard is that the room with the monitors had exaggerated the bass response. So the engineer compensated for that, possibly unwitttingly. And the result is a sound which was fine at the sessions but, after it was too late, discovered to be bass-shy on other systems. Personally, with some EQ tweaking, I was able to achieve a result I was satisfied with. After all, there is bass on the recording, but it unquestionably needed some massaging.
    "I tah dah nur!" - Ike

  15. #15
    Jazzbo manqué Mister Triscuits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Utopia
    Posts
    5,440
    Yep, sounds like they've beefed up the bass significantly.

    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

  16. #16
    Here's Steven Wilson's new remix of "Two Weeks In Spain" from the upcoming edition of The Missing Piece.


  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    737
    well damn, that sounds great, I never noticed there was an actual bass line in that tune

    tbh I always considered this album underrated but it still seemed like an odd choice for Wilson to remaster. that said after hearing the samples I might actually pick it up.
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

  18. #18
    blep :þ Czyszy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2021
    Location
    Wałbrzych, Poland
    Posts
    632
    Quote Originally Posted by starless and bible black View Post
    Here's Steven Wilson's new remix of "Two Weeks In Spain" from the upcoming edition of The Missing Piece.

    The video itself is bonkers. Gentle Giant members as Mii's is something nobody asked for but everybody needed! :D
    NG ~ BC ~ PA

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Isle of Bute
    Posts
    453
    The video is very cool.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by no.nine View Post
    The explanation I've heard is that the room with the monitors had exaggerated the bass response. So the engineer compensated for that, possibly unwitttingly. And the result is a sound which was fine at the sessions but, after it was too late, discovered to be bass-shy on other systems. Personally, with some EQ tweaking, I was able to achieve a result I was satisfied with. After all, there is bass on the recording, but it unquestionably needed some massaging.
    That was amateurish

  21. #21
    Jazzbo manqué Mister Triscuits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Utopia
    Posts
    5,440
    Release postponed to March 29.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

  22. #22
    Member Dok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Land of the Blue Smoke
    Posts
    389
    "We regret to inform you that the highly anticipated release of the Steven Wilson remix of "The Missing Piece" has been postponed until March 29th due to unforeseen manufacturing delays beyond our control. Your patience and understanding during this time are greatly appreciated.

    We didn't want to leave you hanging so we're excited to announce that this Friday, February 16th, we'll be unveiling another track (along with its accompanying video) for "Memories of Old Days."

    Thank you for your continued support and stay tuned for more updates."

    -The Boys in the Band

  23. #23
    Member Dok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Land of the Blue Smoke
    Posts
    389



  24. #24
    Member Mr.Krautman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Brussels
    Posts
    849
    Quote Originally Posted by Dok View Post
    "We regret to inform you that the highly anticipated release of the Steven Wilson remix of "The Missing Piece" has been postponed until March 29th due to unforeseen manufacturing delays beyond our control. Your patience and understanding during this time are greatly appreciated.

    We didn't want to leave you hanging so we're excited to announce that this Friday, February 16th, we'll be unveiling another track (along with its accompanying video) for "Memories of Old Days."

    Thank you for your continued support and stay tuned for more updates."

    -The Boys in the Band
    Increasing manufacturing delays for CD's is more and more common, not "unforseen".
    Are CD pressing plants closing down ?
    Or is the demand higher than expected and the CD media not dead yet ?

  25. #25
    Member Dok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Land of the Blue Smoke
    Posts
    389
    Could be the vinyl holding things up. I think they were trying to release all the formats at once.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •