Thread: Fishman Triple Play Wireless Guitar Synthesizer-Amazing!

Fishman Triple Play Wireless Guitar Synthesizer-Amazing!

Wow, I may have to get one, I'm not much of a lead player, but for Keys I'm much better at picking guitar than plinking the keyboard. Any idea on how much latency is involved? I tried one a few years back (ok, over a decade) and it was pretty unplayable.

hmmmm....I have my doubts about this video.

I have been using synths since they first came out and I'd say the Axon/RMC combo is the fastest and even it has some issues. I can't imagine how a wireless system could be any faster. It would certainly be cool if it could though.

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    Wow, I may have to get one, I'm not much of a lead player, but for Keys I'm much better at picking guitar than plinking the keyboard. Any idea on how much latency is involved? I tried one a few years back (ok, over a decade) and it was pretty unplayable.
    if all you are looking for is emulating a piano etc. I'd look into a Godan Multiac and a roland convertor. The nylon strings have far less overtones the processor has to sort out and finger picking works especially well. The latency is quite small in that case.

If your looking for pick based conversion the Axon is the system to go with.
    In either case the Multiac is the best system for that kind of thing.

There are other things in the works. A vst plug-in that has a downloadable demo (let me see of I can find it again) that you simply route ypur gtr to via your software, and some other company with a monophonic pedal type box (cheap too).

Quote Originally Posted by fictionmusic View Post
    if all you are looking for is emulating a piano etc. I'd look into a Godan Multiac and a roland convertor. The nylon strings have far less overtones the processor has to sort out and finger picking works especially well. The latency is quite small in that case.

If your looking for pick based conversion the Axon is the system to go with.
    In either case the Multiac is the best system for that kind of thing.

There are other things in the works. A vst plug-in that has a downloadable demo (let me see of I can find it again) that you simply route ypur gtr to via your software, and some other company with a monophonic pedal type box (cheap too).
    Axon: Yeah! I saw the demos of the 50 and 100 on You Tube and was so impressed I started searching for one. All the major online dealers had older links on Google,but when I went there ALL the AXON stuff was no longer in the inventory,not being carried,no way to special order either. The only place I could find one was at their website which is in Germany. The price for the 100 is 699Euro. I don't really know how much that is,but I am very curious and somewhat concerned why all these dealers stopped selling the Axon. I don't think I could understand this Fishman($399) thing,because of so much computer involvement. Therefore,I am leaning to getting a Roland GR-55($899). Every user review I read was outstanding and it's implied that the latency factor has been dramatically reduced. I also like the idea of hooking it up via midi to my en route Minimoog Voyager arriving this Tue. Then there's the Moog Guitar that now been upgraded to midi and also can be purchased with a whammy bar for $2,595.

The Axon, like so many guitar synth ventures, was doomed to failure. There just aren't enough people to warrant full-scale manufacturing. Roland can keep at it because of the success of their other products.

I have the AX-50 and it works a charm. I also have a Brian Moore iGTR that plugs into it. I use it to access my soft-synths (vst and AU) as well as my ancient racks of Korgs, Rolands and Emu rack modules. I've used a smaller rack as well as a laptop with vsts onstage with no issue at all. The Behringer midi footswitcher (FCB-1010) was handy for that.

I also have the Godin Multiac with a Roland Gi-10. For finger picking and nylon string activation, the Godin is the way to go. The Roland units like the Godin nylon strings a lot (not a lot of false triggers). For steel strings and picks, the Axon is a clearly superior as it "senses" the picking and cuts down the latency amazingly. Low strings track almost as fast as high strings.

The secret for both guitar's usablity is the RMC piezo bridge system. I wouldn't even try to use that retro-fitted pickup of Rolands (GK something-or-other) but would buy a suitable Godin or Brian Moore. They give you 13 pin access and a great guitar as well. Then the convertor module-synth module isn't as much as an issue.
    Last edited by fictionmusic; 03-31-2013 at 06:10 PM.

Rand...the moog is monphonic right?

This little doobie might be the answer for you:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acces...midi-converter

Join the yahoo midiguitar group for the best info on what's out there

this was promising but apparently is no more:

http://www.keithmcmillen.com/stringport/overview

and then there is this:

http://www.jamorigin.com/midi-guitar/Windows-Mac/

The other aspect of the latency issue is:

That's Joe Gore playing. He's pretty much the definition of a musician's musician. It's entirely possible the system has appreciable latency, but he not only plays the precise and necessary amount ahead of the beat to compensate for that, but adapts his timing instantly and unconsciously and doesn't even realize he's doing it. A bit like Mick Karn never tuning his fretless bass - because after the first note on each string his fingers just went to the right places.

Quote Originally Posted by fictionmusic View Post

I just tried this out. Pretty cool, but hard to get set up to work perfectly. I'll keep tweaking...

Most keyboards have some degree of latency, and some pc based rigs have rather a shocking amount. It's something you really get very used to playing around if you have to...

By the way I should mention that latency with the guitar to MIDI software was low enough to not be a problem at all. Really quite impressive. The problems I had involved not always being able to play cleanly enough to avoid false triggering and/or wrong pitches. So I think that's where the fine musicianship comes in. Players with impeccable technique will have better results.
    Last edited by Plasmatopia; 04-03-2013 at 09:13 AM.

One thing I don't like is that the Fishman saddles tend to be tough on strings. I much prefer the GraphTech Ghost saddles.
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

wow, Joe is having some MAJOR timing problems with that violin patch. He's basically fighting it on every note.
    The good thing about this thing is that its wireless, bypassing a major shortcoming of most systems: those annoying proprietary cables.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikhael View Post
    One thing I don't like is that the Fishman saddles tend to be tough on strings. I much prefer the GraphTech Ghost saddles.
    Hmm. I looked closer, and it uses one of those pickups that go between the bridge and the pickup. I never cared for the Roland version of that; putting the piezos in the bridge saddles always seemed more functional, less cluttered, and more dependable. I wonder if they'll come out with a version you can install into the guitar?
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikhael View Post
    Hmm. I looked closer, and it uses one of those pickups that go between the bridge and the pickup. I never cared for the Roland version of that; putting the piezos in the bridge saddles always seemed more functional, less cluttered, and more dependable.
    I totally agree. The Godin I have tracks really well (and again, as the nylon strings have less harmonic overtones they tend to create a cleaner conversion)