Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 32

Thread: Echoes: Ancient and Modern - new Trevor Horn album with Robert Fripp, Steve Hogarth +

  1. #1

    Echoes: Ancient and Modern - new Trevor Horn album with Robert Fripp, Steve Hogarth +

    Echoes: Ancient and Modern, due 1 Dec, is Trevor Horn's new album. It's sort of a follow-up to Reimagines the Eighties with orchestral covers and various guest stars. I've collated what we know about the album at http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wnth.htm , like how it seems to have begun life as a project to be called Eighties Chill, but then expanded beyond '80s music. Tracks:

    "Swimming Pools (Drank)" (3:56; originally by Kendrick Lamar), with Tori Amos
    "Steppin' Out" (4:25; originally by Joe Jackson), with Seal (vocals)
    "Owner of a Lonely Heart" (3:43; originally by Yes), with Rick Astley (vocals)
    "Slave to the Rhythm" (4:17; originally by Grace Jones), with Lady Blackbird
    "Love is a Battlefield" (3:32; originally by Pat Benatar), with Marc Almond (vocals)
    "Personal Jesus" (3:26; originally by Depeche Mode), with Iggy Pop and Phoebe Lunny
    "Drive" (3:54; originally by The Cars), with Steve Hogarth
    "Relax" (4:06; originally by Frankie Goes to Hollywood), with Toyah Willcox (vocals) and Robert Fripp (guitar)
    "White Wedding" (4:34; originally by Billy Idol), Andrea Corr and Jack Lukeman
    "Smells Like Teen Spirit" (4:33; originally by Nirvana), with Jack Lukeman
    "Avalon" (4:05; originally by Roxy Music), Horn on lead vocals

    Release formats include, CD, 180g vinyl and limited edition vinyl variants.
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

  2. #2
    Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    8,845
    Rick Astley!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

  3. #3
    Member lazland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    594
    Relax with Toyah and Mr Toyah. The mind doth boggle!
    I review and blog at www.lazland.org

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by lazland View Post
    Relax with Toyah and Mr Toyah. The mind doth boggle!
    Horn asked Toyah to sing. Bob asked to play on it as well, and Horn let him.
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

  5. #5
    First single out, which gives an idea of the album's style:

    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

  6. #6

  7. #7
    H on Drive sounds interesting

  8. #8
    Member Kcrimso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Espoo, Finland
    Posts
    2,279
    Very interested to hear this even though Reimagines the Eighties was a big disappointment for me.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Iowa City IA
    Posts
    2,404
    Is Trevor H looking to compete with Billy Sherwood/Cleopatra with these star-filled re-make compilations?

  10. #10
    cunning linguist 3LockBox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Posts
    3,524
    Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Is Trevor H looking to compete with Billy Sherwood/Cleopatra with these star-filled re-make compilations?
    Well, Trevor Horn is distinguishing himself by using people I've heard of before 😉

  11. #11
    Studmuffin Scott Bails's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Near Philly, PA
    Posts
    6,551
    Very interesting.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Iowa City IA
    Posts
    2,404
    Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Well, Trevor Horn is distinguishing himself by using people I've heard of before ��
    Trevor is certainly providing an upscale version of the typical Billy Sherwood experience.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    First single out, which gives an idea of the album's style:

    I really liked that.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Is Trevor H looking to compete with Billy Sherwood/Cleopatra with these star-filled re-make compilations?
    Well, Trevor Horn is carefully selecting guest singers and working with them in a studio, while Cleopatra releases rapidly-put together albums where the same names record parts at home over a backing track and mail them in. But I think the drive from the record company that consumers want familiar songs is the same.
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

  15. #15
    Member clivey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    344
    I get to wondering " who exactly this is aimed at" . The only attraction for the likes of me, a guy in his early 60' s, is the imaginative selection of guest vocalists.

    Really not that great a draw.

    Perhaps it's a ploy to introduce a younger set to these numbers?
    I will obviously seek out the songs and find out one way or another, but really in light of the sheer number of high quality original releases doing the rounds. I think this project of cover songs will be pretty low on the list of stuff "I just must hear". Particularly in light of the fact that the originals are all on YouTube in many versions already.

  16. #16
    Member Mascodagama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    7th Circle of Brexit
    Posts
    2,088
    Now I want to hear Never Gonna Give You Up sung by Jon Anderson.

    Actually I can hear it in my head. Thanks very much Trevor Horn.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by clivey View Post
    I get to wondering " who exactly this is aimed at" . The only attraction for the likes of me, a guy in his early 60' s, is the imaginative selection of guest vocalists.

    Really not that great a draw.

    Perhaps it's a ploy to introduce a younger set to these numbers?
    I will obviously seek out the songs and find out one way or another, but really in light of the sheer number of high quality original releases doing the rounds. I think this project of cover songs will be pretty low on the list of stuff "I just must hear". Particularly in light of the fact that the originals are all on YouTube in many versions already.
    Most (older) music consumers are neophobic. They'll buy re-interpretations of songs they love rather than an album or original material. That's also why record labels keep re-releasing deluxe re-issues of classic albums.

    Horn has implied in interviews that this is what record labels want from him, so this is what he gets to do. I'd love to hear some original material from Horn: he had a few releases last decade where he was co-writing a lot of material (The Reflection Wave One—Original Soundtrack, The Producers' Made in Basing Street, Seal's 7). He seems to have been intermittently working on new material, so we'll have to wait to see whether maybe we get more under the Producers or Buggles labels, or maybe one of his musicals will get made.
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

  18. #18
    Odd, but I'll probably buy it just to get Rickrolled on "Owner of a Lonely Heart."

  19. #19
    I enjoyed the Reimagines the 80s album for what it was, but can't say I'm feeling the need for a follow-up. I'll probably give it a listen though.

  20. #20
    New news! Chris Braide said in a recent interview promoting DBA's Celestial Songs that they're reuniting the Producers, with a remixed version of Made in Basing Street and touring coming in 2024. We can hope that that leads to more studio work and songwriting, although hopefully album #2 will be finished quicker than album #1, which took over a decade to come out. (He also said that they've written the next DBA album, which is perhaps unsurprising given how the release of Celestial Songs was so delayed.)
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

  21. #21
    Available to preorder on a super deluxe edition exclusive blu ray audio for 7 days only.

    https://superdeluxeedition.com/news/...ncient-modern/

    If you want this version be sure to preorder others in the series are quite expensive on secondary markets.

  22. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    New news! Chris Braide said in a recent interview promoting DBA's Celestial Songs that they're reuniting the Producers, with a remixed version of Made in Basing Street and touring coming in 2024. We can hope that that leads to more studio work and songwriting, although hopefully album #2 will be finished quicker than album #1, which took over a decade to come out. (He also said that they've written the next DBA album, which is perhaps unsurprising given how the release of Celestial Songs was so delayed.)
    Garden of Flowers on ”Basing Street” is tear-jerkingly beautiful

  23. #23
    Studmuffin Scott Bails's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Near Philly, PA
    Posts
    6,551
    Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    New news! Chris Braide said in a recent interview promoting DBA's Celestial Songs that they're reuniting the Producers, with a remixed version of Made in Basing Street and touring coming in 2024. We can hope that that leads to more studio work and songwriting, although hopefully album #2 will be finished quicker than album #1, which took over a decade to come out. (He also said that they've written the next DBA album, which is perhaps unsurprising given how the release of Celestial Songs was so delayed.)
    Excellent news.

    Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    Garden of Flowers on ”Basing Street” is tear-jerkingly beautiful
    Indeed. All of Trevor Horn's songs on that album are pretty moving.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Excellent news.



    Indeed. All of Trevor Horn's songs on that album are pretty moving.
    Lyrics on GoF about his tragically deceased wife?

  25. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Burlington Twp, NJ
    Posts
    2,189
    This rendition of the Joe Jackson classic is pretty smooth.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •