Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Close to the Edge: A Symphonic Rendering

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2023
    Location
    Southern California, US
    Posts
    266

    Close to the Edge: A Symphonic Rendering



    (There's a bit of Within You Without You thrown in too.)

    Notes from the YT page:

    This was worked up over a period of a month. Only two instruments were employed: a Schecter Diamond Series bass, while all the rest were performed through various patches on a Roland Juno-DS, layered in 32 tracks on Music Creator 7.

    Written by Steve Howe and Jon Anderson.

    The arrangement, performance, and all productionóboth audio and videoóby Michael Carlucci.
    What we feel we have to solve is why the dregs have not dissolved.

  2. #2
    Anywhere to download this?

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2023
    Location
    Southern California, US
    Posts
    266
    Quote Originally Posted by yodathedog View Post
    Anywhere to download this?
    You can always grab the audio off YouTube. There are numerous ways to do that.
    What we feel we have to solve is why the dregs have not dissolved.

  4. #4
    Member Michael-Carlucci's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2023
    Location
    Rochester, MN
    Posts
    2
    Thank you for listening to this and finding it worthy of posting!

  5. #5
    Member Michael-Carlucci's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2023
    Location
    Rochester, MN
    Posts
    2

    And You and I (upcoming)

    Just a "heads up":
    For those who've enjoyed my orchestral cover offering that Batchman so graciously posted above; I'm presently working on another symphonic treatment of "And You & I". Official postings on my SoundCloud page and YouTube page are forthcoming. Once again, I thank you for listening! Also, I'd like to mention that none of this is being posted/created for profit. I've not monetized anything offered on either page. It's all being created and presented as a labor of love, not profit. Please feel free to download if you are moved to do so.

    PS: I have an audio excerpt clip of the work thus far I could post, but I haven't figured out a way of including it (if at all possible) in this message.
    Last edited by Michael-Carlucci; 09-25-2023 at 10:40 AM. Reason: link

  6. #6
    Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    8,841
    Really impressive!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    27
    To be honest, to me it sounds like you took a midifile and assigned sounds to it. There are no dynamics, the rhythm is quantized, the feeling and tension are totally absent. Sorry to be negative.

  8. #8
    Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    8,841
    Quote Originally Posted by Jos View Post
    To be honest, to me it sounds like you took a midifile and assigned sounds to it. There are no dynamics, the rhythm is quantized, the feeling and tension are totally absent. Sorry to be negative.
    I don't know why you post that negative shit. Show some respect to the OP. If you have nothing to say, just don't say it.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by Jos View Post
    To be honest, to me it sounds like you took a midifile and assigned sounds to it. There are no dynamics, the rhythm is quantized, the feeling and tension are totally absent. Sorry to be negative.
    1.I said sorry to be negative.

    2. Am I entitled a opinion of my own here?

    3. It's not "negative shit", just the way I hear it.

    4. Have a nice day.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Jos View Post
    1.I said sorry to be negative.

    2. Am I entitled a opinion of my own here?

    3. It's not "negative shit", just the way I hear it.

    4. Have a nice day.
    It's not my cup of tea either, you have the absolute right to say it how you feel.

  11. #11
    Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    8,841
    Quote Originally Posted by Progtastic View Post
    It's not my cup of tea either, you have the absolute right to say it how you feel.
    I agree but so do I.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

  12. #12
    inactive user Czyszy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2021
    Location
    Wałbrzych, Poland
    Posts
    419
    The Juno-DS waverom is pretty low tech IMO. This rendition would've sounded miles better had it been done using modern virtual orchestral libraries like Vienna, EastWest or even OrchestraTools.
    time to leave this forum

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I agree but so do I.
    Why did you feel offended in the first place? I commented on the music which as far as I understand has nothing to do with you or does it?

    Just asking, not trying to start a war....

  14. #14
    Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    8,841
    Quote Originally Posted by Jos View Post
    Why did you feel offended in the first place? I commented on the music which as far as I understand has nothing to do with you or does it?

    Just asking, not trying to start a war....
    I seldom, if ever, make a comment like I did to you. I just thought the original poster was enthusiastic with his new music and wanted to share it with our community. I sort of felt bad for him. No offence to you.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

  15. #15
    Member interbellum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Xymphonia-city
    Posts
    4,312
    Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I seldom, if ever, make a comment like I did to you. I just thought the original poster was enthusiastic with his new music and wanted to share it with our community. I sort of felt bad for him. No offence to you.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the way I read this thread the OP isn't the one who created the music, that Michael Carlucci (see posts #4 and #5).

  16. #16
    Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    8,841
    Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the way I read this thread the OP isn't the one who created the music, that Michael Carlucci (see posts #4 and #5).
    That changes my perspective a lot. I thought the poster was offending the originator of the music. I'd have ignored it otherwise. I likely overreacted. It's really not my style.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

  17. #17
    Member interbellum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Xymphonia-city
    Posts
    4,312
    Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    That changes my perspective a lot. I thought the poster was offending the originator of the music. I'd have ignored it otherwise. I likely overreacted. It's really not my style.
    Maybe you have some withdrawal symptoms from your DVD-habbit. After all, Friday is a long way ahead.

  18. #18
    Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    8,841
    Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Maybe you have some withdrawal symptoms from your DVD-habbit. After all, Friday is a long way ahead.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •