Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: ProgDay 2023

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar

ProgDay 2023

To not clutter up Michael's band announcement threads with mindless banter here's a thread specifically for that!

Who's going?

Who you looking forward to?

Who's participating in the beer swap?

A Light Sleeper & tu:NER are my most anticipated so far.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I should be there.
    Looking forward to everything.
    Maybe another dose of Korean yummies.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

I'll be there Looking forward to all the bands, all the friends, much of the food and none of the humidity/heat
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Banned
    Patron pass number 10 received. Thanks to Deb Byrd.

Banned
    Beer swap,

Patron pass arrived.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Patron pass arrived yesterday. So far, tu:Ner is the draw for me. I'll be in on the beer swap. Not sure what I'll bring, but I'll try to get a bottle of Carolina Common from Linesider Brewing of East Greenwich, Rhode Island, ale infused with Carolina Reaper pepper. This one's for you, John.

I'm really looking forward to the trip. On the way down, I'll be stopping for a night at a college friend's house near Philly. I visited last year for the first time in 47 years. We talked and drank beer for 12 hours until his wife broke us up at 1:30 in the morning. On the way back, I'll be visiting friends near Ithaca, NY, for a couple days. They live on the left side of Lake Cayuga down the street from the summer residence of Rod Serling. Wineries and breweries surround them.
    Last edited by Lopez; 07-19-2023 at 08:56 AM.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Ho boy, nothing like bonus heat on top of the heat

I took pineapple infused vodka and threw in about a half dozen habaneros for 15 minutes. Ended up with very very spicy pineapple habanero vodka. Not my worst science project.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Patron pass also received. A Light Sleeper and TU:ner most anticipated, but the other two should work well for my tastes. I haven't been exposed to extreme heat yet for the fests I have attended. But (and not to jinx it), when is the weather going to change in relation to the rest of the country?

Looking forward to chatting it up with those I know and even those I don't! Within in reason, of course.

Hoping to attend. All of the four so far announced bands sound interesting enough that I am interested in all of them (I have seen a Light Sleeper, but not in their present line up and I saw We Used to Cut The Grass at Orion 6 weeks ago and they were fantastic)

The heat. ugh. Well, ok. It is what it is and I can pour a bottle of water over my head as well as the next guy...
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Laurel and I will be there. Not super familiar with any of the bands other than the individual members of tu:NER, so going into these with an open mind. Will be participating in beer swap.

Hoping to go - working on trying to wrangle at least one other so I'm not driving 10+ hours on my own.

Most anticipated bands (so far):
    You Bred Raptors?
    tu:NER (who, hopefully, I will also be seeing in August, here in upstate NY)

Banned
    From Debi Byrd:

Thanks for your ticket purchase, David - very much appreciated! 🙂 Aside from a small budget to cover performance fees and hotel rooms, other costs associated with attracting bands have a profound effect on early booking. For example, ProgDay always strives to book a good mix of domestic and foreign bands; however, the cost of attracting international bands is getting prohibitively expensive. Visa application costs as well as increased airfare prices are making it difficult for many international bands who very much want to perform at our festival to make it work. Even travel from the West Coast can be a deal breaker for some U.S. musicians. In many cases, good intensions are dashed late in the game, requiring new negotiations. If folks only knew how many bands come close to signing each year - and just which bands - they'd be as heartbroken as we are. But that's the price of operating a small festival that is still affordable for most people. It should be noted that several of our attendees have been extraordinarily generous with financial donations over the years, which have gone a very long way in keeping ProgDay viable. In our best dreams, we just need to find some outside benefactors (with very deep pockets) who appreciate progressive music. Until that time, Michael Bennett will be "burning the midnight oil" to fill the Storybook stage with quality music. Stay tuned.

Banned
    From Michael Bennett
    Victor Romero Repetto Yang, Anglagard, Tangerine Dream...and the list goes on...have so far not worked out. I've been giving it my best shot, but the US government makes it exceeding difficult, expensive and hassle-ridden to try to play in the US. Every year it gets worse and I've heard that the costs are only going to increase. While some bigger names make it work (like Tangerine Dream), the requirements are deal killers for most of the bands I approach. It's really tragic as the ones who loose out are US music lovers. So if you want to see Anekdoten, you're going to have to go to Canada (where they recently played with two Italian bands). ��

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    From Michael Bennett
    Victor Romero Repetto Yang, Anglagard, Tangerine Dream...and the list goes on...have so far not worked out. I've been giving it my best shot, but the US government makes it exceeding difficult, expensive and hassle-ridden to try to play in the US. Every year it gets worse and I've heard that the costs are only going to increase. While some bigger names make it work (like Tangerine Dream), the requirements are deal killers for most of the bands I approach. It's really tragic as the ones who loose out are US music lovers. So if you want to see Anekdoten, you're going to have to go to Canada (where they recently played with two Italian bands). ��
    I was at the festival this year in Quebec at Terra Incognita in May. Anekdoten played for two nights and were spectacular, including on night devoted exclusive to Vemod and Nucleus. The italian bands, La Maschera di Cera and Quel Che Disse Il Tuono on the Sunday night headliners, were also great.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Me too!
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    To not clutter up Michael's band announcement threads with mindless banter here's a thread specifically for that!

Who's going?

Who you looking forward to?

Who's participating in the beer swap?

A Light Sleeper & tu:NER are my most anticipated so far.
    I'll be there with my wife, Shirley. Out of the 4 bands booked so far, we're looking forward to hearing tu:NER the most. We might swap beers with the other snobs if we can find an outstanding local beer that we haven't swapped before. Patron passes received. Hotel booked. All systems are go!

I plan on being there this year! Booked my flight and reserved my hotel room and ordered my ticket. It's been a few years and although I don't look forward to the heat or humidity...everything else makes it worthwhile. I just need to figure out how to get from the airport to the hotel when I come in on Thursday eve around 7pm. But I WILL get there!
    Deb S.
    The Prog-Rock Diner www.fcac.org/radio-fairfax
    SUNDAYS 10pm-12am EST

Rhea and I have our Patron tickets. Most looking forward to tu:NER.

Episode 69 of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour will be live on air on Wednesday the 23rd August at 6.30 Central (7.30 Eastern) on https://progrock.com/ .
    This week we are doing a special ProgDay Festival preview show. The festival is on September 2nd & 3rd at Storybook Farm in Chapel Hill NC.
    I'll be playing music from all 8 bands that are playing the festival - Perfect, You Bred Raptors?, Moon Letters, tu:NER, a light sleeper, Red Fiction, We Used To Cut The Grass & Karmic Juggernaut
    The podcast should be up within 48 hours of the show airing. Check out previous shows at https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...core-happy.../
    Search the podcast page for jazzcore.
    Requests & recommendations can be sent to ian@progrock.com
    Ian

Since it's 100F right now in Texas (at 9:38pm) and 74F in Chapel Hill I think were going.

Banned
    I am happy that the heat bubble in the east cost in MD (where I live) and NC appears to break in less than a week. That doesn’t mean it won’t be normal at Progday, but it doesn’t look like it will be extreme due to hurricane influence. That influence in the past has been more positive than negative as it turned out. Far more likely, a coastal hurricane or storm will pull Canadian air down. I forget whether it was 18 or 19, when on Sunday evening around the pool dressed lightly, I shivered. Does appear that the extreme El Niño which affected HI and now CA, affects the North American jet stream causing it to go up and then back down in the southeast, steering and shearing tropical waves coming off the coast of Africa towards the center of the Atlantic. Another factor is Tonga and I suggest googling that. Media doesn’t want to talk about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    I am happy that the heat bubble in the east cost in MD (where I live) and NC appears to break in less than a week. That doesn’t mean it won’t be normal at Progday, but it doesn’t look like it will be extreme due to hurricane influence. That influence in the past has been more positive than negative as it turned out. Far more likely, a coastal hurricane or storm will pull Canadian air down. I forget whether it was 18 or 19, when on Sunday evening around the pool dressed lightly, I shivered. Does appear that the extreme El Niño which affected HI and now CA, affects the North American jet stream causing it to go up and then back down in the southeast, steering and shearing tropical waves coming off the coast of Africa towards the center of the Atlantic. Another factor is Tonga and I suggest googling that. Media doesn’t want to talk about it.
    Tropical depression #10 is forming in the Gulf of Mexico, with a predicted track that takes it over N.C. Fortunately, it looks like it will hit Wed & Thur and be tapering down to a few showers on Friday, mostly in the morning. Saturday and Sunday are predicted to be sunny, 85-88 deg F, with a dew point in the low-to-mid 60's -- i.e. damn nice! Setup on Friday might be a little damp, but let's keep our fingers crossed for two pleasant days of music in the field!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wiz_d_kidd View Post
    Tropical depression #10 is forming in the Gulf of Mexico, with a predicted track that takes it over N.C. Fortunately, it looks like it will hit Wed & Thur and be tapering down to a few showers on Friday, mostly in the morning. Saturday and Sunday are predicted to be sunny, 85-88 deg F, with a dew point in the low-to-mid 60's -- i.e. damn nice! Setup on Friday might be a little damp, but let's keep our fingers crossed for two pleasant days of music in the field!
    Yep, haven’t put the update to that.

Perfect in Cleveland Heights July 2023:

20230726_201955.jpg

Tu:NER in Cleveland August 2023:

20230822_213812.jpg

Click on thumbnails.