Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Ten Favorite Fusion Albums from the 70s

wow....who is that smokin' guitarist?

Good stuff there Ernie.

Did you see the other video of Ernie's band from 1982?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    On the way to see Rudresh Mahanthappa the other night I played Chevere de Chicago Secret Dream for a friend that I went with. That was some smokin stuff on that disc. You guys need to put out another one of them.
    Rumor has it that Chevere will put out a live DVD culled from two consecutive nights at The Green Mill in Chicago, from about 2 years ago. I've seen parts of it and the audio is pretty good! And we have enough material to not repeat any tune that was on the debut (Secret Dream). I say "rumor has it" because I'll believe it when I have the actual manufactured product in my hands. Chevere could use some serious help in the business department.

BTW, I played a few gigs with Rudresh when he lived in Chicago.

As for that video (and especially the one from '82), YouTube can be like a scarey haunted house for me, full of "performance ghosts" that won't go away no matter how much I want them to. If you dig 'em, I do appreciate it; just can't share the sentiment.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    Ernie, I could go for a thread on modern/progressive Brazilian jazz, and other Latin music. I'd like to learn more.
    Likewise

^^^^
    The recent featured CD by Brazilian band A Noite sounds good to my ears. Maybe too free for some, but I like it.

^ Where would one look for this CD? Searching w/Google, YouTube, Amazon etc. return too many irrelevant results, "noite" being a word that is very frequently used in the song and album titles

So far, I haven't been able to find anything Brazilian that sounds like fusion - the closest, probably, being a couple of tracks by Eumir Deodato.

Quote Originally Posted by LongFrog View Post
    So far, I haven't been able to find anything Brazilian that sounds like fusion - the closest, probably, being a couple of tracks by Eumir Deodato.
    Flora Purim & Airto Moreira are a famous Brazilian husband and wife who have recorded fusion records for decades. Try Airto's Fingers album, there's a 40th anniversary reissue available cheap. Or one of Flora's albums from 1973's Butterfly Dreams to any of her recent stuff.

Also Hermeto Pascoal. Slaves Mass is a good place to start. Here's the entire Japanese version w/ bonus tracks. This is available on CD, but quite expensive.

Unfortunately, many of his other albums were available cheap for only a short time a few years ago.

I remember Flora Purim from Return to Forever (the real early one, with a bird, flying over the water). I found her singing .. looking for a correct adjective ... annoying? alienating? But Hermeto Pascoal sounds very pleasant, so thank you kindly for the link

this is pretty cool

Quote Originally Posted by fictionmusic View Post
    this is pretty cool
    It is!

But McLaughlin is looking a little too much like Norman Bates.

In a recent thread i posted the title track from a Joe Chambers record,New World,from 1976.I seem to recall a couple of positive posts about that tune.Here's another boss track from that cd,Blow Up(a Herbie Hancock tune).
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Mahavishnu Orchestra - Birds of Fire
    Jan Hammer & Jerry Goodman - Like Children
    Billy Cobham - Shabazz - Recorded Live In Europe
    Mahavishnu Orchestra - Visions of the Emerald Beyond
    Return to Forever - Romantic Warrior
    Mahavishnu Orchestra - Between Nothingness and Eternity
    Flamengo - Kure V Hodinkach
    Billy Cobham - Spectrum
    Billy Cobham - Total Eclipse
    Bill Bruford - Feels Good to Me