Thread: Great sale at Guitar Center, Unless you wanted to buy something

Great sale at Guitar Center, Unless you wanted to buy something

I caught this story over at the consumerist.
    Over 300 ( around 317) brands of equipment are excluded from the sale.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Man, I freaking hate when retailers to that.

It would be easier to list what it is good for.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Never play slap bass around bears, you'll make them VERY angry.

Hey this does suck but as someone that had to buy 2 guitars there the store will make an allowance. Goes to show you how much mark up there is on stuff.

2 years ago spent months looking for a Alpine White Les Paul for my son. Basically Guitar Center and the various on-line retailers associated with Guitar Center have blocked out almost all other retailers from distributing Gibson. I had no choice to buy the guitar from them and they were more than willing to let me use the coupon even though it excluded Gibson products. I was able to secure the guitar cheaper than at any other place.

1 year ago I went through basically the same thing with a Martin for my boy and they also were willing to honor a coupon even though it excluded Martin products.

Of course I am very careful when selecting guitars from them and take nothing that is not factory sealed and is inspected very carefully before I leave.

Back to the point. Just ask them and tell them you will take your business elsewhere if they won't honor the coupon.
    Last edited by Jay G; 03-29-2013 at 10:29 AM.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Man, I freaking hate when retailers to that.

It would be easier to list what it is good for.
    you can get 49$ in Drummer's World magazines
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Which online retailers are also associated with Guitar Center (Bain Capital)?

Never mind, I found this on Wikipedia:

"Guitar Center's sister companies/subsidiaries incorporate Music & Arts, Musician's Friend, GuitarCenter.com, LMI, Giardinelli, Musician.com, Private Reserve Guitars, Woodwind and Brasswind, Music 123, and Harmony Central."

So you still have American Musical Supply and Sweetwater...and probably others.

what does bain capital have to do with it?

A big company, trying to get bigger, trying to eliminate competition completely...I think I'd rather support the underdog.

yeah....i've seen where that goes (Ritz Camera...)

GC is completely inept. We did buy a new flute for the wife a couple months ago from Music and Arts at a good deal. Had no idea GC consumed them.
    Not only are GC salespeople useless and uninformed, they don't stock shit. When the Venom keyboard came out and was making quite a splash, they didn't have one (~$600 list cheap at the time). And they weren't going to stock them. They said I could buy it and if I didn't like it I could return it. What the hell kinda business model is that????
    I go to AudioMidi, Novak, ZZounds and Sweetwater. I've yet to go to Chuck Levin's place since moving to Baltimore last year.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

So basically, the only things left are PanaSony instruments, Guitar Center tote bags & rubber duckies.

Can't stand TGC. Our local store is full of hipper-than-thou little hipsters who don't know their ass from a low E string.

There are some excellent local stores that will give you great, knowledgable service, and if TGC has a better price (they usually do) my favorite local store will do all they can to get their price down for you.
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire