Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213

Thread: What's new in retro-prog?

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Check the second album of Norwegian band Ring Van Mobius. A retro classic according to my infallible taste.
    Spinning this all over now I have to say that it's a -very- good retro-progressive effort, sometimes almost uncannily "authentic" in both approach and outcome, and for some goofy reason utterly reminiscent of the little-known record by Italian one-off Triade and their 1998: La Storia di Sabazio from 1973. On the one hand this is safely within quarters, on the other it very obviously tries to state its own - and as opposed to the debut it pretty much succeeds.

I saw them live here in Oslo at a festival 2 1/2 years ago (before I heard their debut) and they were good, but if they manage to perform this new and more demanding material I'd be thoroughly impressed.

Sidenote; as with certain other retro-proghead musicians nowadays, like Martin and Lars (drummer/keyboardist) from Wobbler or Per Wiberg (of DeathOrgan, Opeth, Spiritual Beggars etc.) and apparently a couple of the guys from Italian PsychoPraxis, the whole crew of Ring van Möbius were previously active playing in extreme-metal bands. Back in 2018 after hearing them I was rather interested in learning of how this transformation came about, but they didn't really appear to think much of it except for the singer/keysman saying that it was some kind of "natural evolution" on discovering older rock with equal levels of challenge in it. I thought that was an interesting and cool assessment to make, especially when he went on to describe his first encounter with stuff like early Soft Machine. I mean, these guys actually look and talk as though they've been transported from 1971 by the Doctor's TARDIS.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

How and why do Scandinavian bands seems to be able to do retro prog, since the 90s, without sounding too clone-ish like all those Neo Prog bands?

Quote Originally Posted by Bytor View Post
    How and why do Scandinavian bands seems to be able to do retro prog, since the 90s, without sounding too clone-ish like all those Neo Prog bands?
    Analog instrumentation, and production that doesn't sound modern.
    He did not know that the sword he'd hold, would turn his priceless empire into fool's gold...

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection