Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213

Thread: What's new in retro-prog?

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Check the second album of Norwegian band Ring Van Mobius. A retro classic according to my infallible taste.
    Spinning this all over now I have to say that it's a -very- good retro-progressive effort, sometimes almost uncannily "authentic" in both approach and outcome, and for some goofy reason utterly reminiscent of the little-known record by Italian one-off Triade and their 1998: La Storia di Sabazio from 1973. On the one hand this is safely within quarters, on the other it very obviously tries to state its own - and as opposed to the debut it pretty much succeeds.

I saw them live here in Oslo at a festival 2 1/2 years ago (before I heard their debut) and they were good, but if they manage to perform this new and more demanding material I'd be thoroughly impressed.

Sidenote; as with certain other retro-proghead musicians nowadays, like Martin and Lars (drummer/keyboardist) from Wobbler or Per Wiberg (of DeathOrgan, Opeth, Spiritual Beggars etc.) and apparently a couple of the guys from Italian PsychoPraxis, the whole crew of Ring van Möbius were previously active playing in extreme-metal bands. Back in 2018 after hearing them I was rather interested in learning of how this transformation came about, but they didn't really appear to think much of it except for the singer/keysman saying that it was some kind of "natural evolution" on discovering older rock with equal levels of challenge in it. I thought that was an interesting and cool assessment to make, especially when he went on to describe his first encounter with stuff like early Soft Machine. I mean, these guys actually look and talk as though they've been transported from 1971 by the Doctor's TARDIS.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

How and why do Scandinavian bands seems to be able to do retro prog, since the 90s, without sounding too clone-ish like all those Neo Prog bands?

Quote Originally Posted by Bytor View Post
    How and why do Scandinavian bands seems to be able to do retro prog, since the 90s, without sounding too clone-ish like all those Neo Prog bands?
    Analog instrumentation, and production that doesn't sound modern.
    He did not know that the sword he'd hold, would turn his priceless empire into fool's gold...

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Polis from Germany who clearly Sound like a band from former East Germany (like a harder Version of Stern Combo Meissen)

Kanaan has released two new albums last year (2020):

I have "Double Sun" and I find it (arguably) not as good as the debut.

Also, on the same label (El Paraiso Records) Martin Rude from Sun River and Jakob Skott from Causa Sui team together to release two albums:

Speaking of Causa Sui, they two have a new one released last year on, you guessed it, El Paraiso Records:

mmmmhhh!!!... Eddie,

Not sure all these qualify as "retro-prog" at all
    Kanaan certainly sounds stoner rock to me

And ditto for Causa Sui, albeit a softer stoner rock
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

^ mmmhhhhhhhh¤xMph?vz£!!

Let's for goodness' sake not pretend that "retro-prog" is somehow any more of an established heterogenous term of genre than "ultra-prog" or "entartete-prog". Causa Sui and Kanaan both appeal to "retros" as whole, so why not include them. And what the hell was "stoner-rock" ever in the first place except for neo-psychedelic hard-rock?

Just sayin'n'playin'n'swayin'n'prayin' here.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    mmmmhhh!!!... Eddie,

Not sure all these qualify as "retro-prog" at all
    Kanaan certainly sounds stoner rock to me

And ditto for Causa Sui, albeit a softer stoner rock
    Yes, trying to fit a piece of music in a certain mold was never my forte, nor do I care to spend a lot of energy trying to categorize bands and songs. I mentioned Kanaan because I brought them up in the past and everyone was pleased to get to know them. El Paraiso puts out albums that are, more or less, in the area of stoner rock and retro-prog, hence my series of posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Zalmoxe View Post
    Yes, trying to fit a piece of music in a certain mold was never my forte, nor do I care to spend a lot of energy trying to categorize bands and songs. I mentioned Kanaan because I brought them up in the past and everyone was pleased to get to know them. El Paraiso puts out albums that are, more or less, in the area of stoner rock and retro-prog, hence my series of posts.
    I didn't take it as a criticism of you or your post; thus the "Not sure" and "sounds stoner to me". Oftentimes there are discussions of music in terms of genre on this site and I don't take them too seriously. Heck, this site is named after an overreaching genre.

Quote Originally Posted by Zalmoxe View Post
    It wan't meant as a criticism, and TBH, I was quite glad to have heard your suggestions, whether here, in the stoner thread or The best of 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post

Just sayin'n'playin'n'swayin'n'prayin' here.
    I know you were, but it reads a little ethylic, just coming back from your black-metal sunday mass time.
    Last edited by Trane; 1 Week Ago at 08:40 PM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

^ These days I only ever listen to greymetal. It's a brand new type in which criteria include all players being really, really elderly, with hazardous cookie-monster vox replaced by more authentic throat-whizzle and evil sentiments are viciously thrown out in favour of senile dentiment.

^^

Which of Course is already lame cause the new hype is "Jumped the Coffin" Metal by musicians who where dead for at least
    a few seconds. Their "Tales from beyond the Bright Light" stuff is the True Death Metal!

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    ^^

Which of Course is already lame cause the new hype is "Jumped the Coffin" Metal by musicians who where dead for at least
    a few seconds. Their "Tales from beyond the Bright Light" stuff is the True Death Metal!