Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314 LastLast

Thread: What's new in retro-prog?

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    It could work as 3/8, but I am hearing a distinct 6/8 groove personally - I would count this in 6 not 3
    Yes actually, you're right, as the emphasis works more on the 6th note rather than the 3rd. I hadn't listened closely enough.

Kanaan, a young Norwegian band with the debut album released on the El Paraiso label:

Quote Originally Posted by Zalmoxe View Post
    Kanaan, a young Norwegian band with the debut album released on the El Paraiso label:
    I just passed this by, browsing records in the local store.

But it's 10 minutes away, so within the week it's going to be mine. Very nice stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Zalmoxe View Post
    Psychedelic, baby!
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    Psychedelic, baby!
    Just bought the vinyl! It's hot, steaming. It smells nice!

Great swiss guitar driven prog, in the best tradition of the early 70s krautrock private releases. A must for you, retroheads

Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

And one of the most rewarding prog/psych albums of 2018 (a great year after all). Mr. Alan Walks from Toronto, Canada.

Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Takis Barbagalas' (ex- Willow-the-Wisp / Manticore's Breath) new album.

Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Great swiss guitar driven prog, in the best tradition of the early 70s krautrock private releases. A must for you, retroheads

I've seen that cover on some blog. It put me off, but maybe I should review it again.

I posted this a couple of weeks ago in the new releases section, to no reply. A marvelous, moving edition of early 70's prog/psych, full of great ideas, stellar musicianship and...why not?...great wit. Fans of Wishbone Ash, Man, Nektar or even Uriah Heep need to listen to this as soon as possible.

Fucking awesome british spectral prog folk from 2017. The psychedelic influences directly from the debut Caravan album are are stellar! Deserves a thread of its own...

Oh yes, this is seriously impressive. It strikes my ears as also nodding towards Goldfrapp. But it's that glorious, dirty, retro-organ sound that makes this sound so brilliant.

Bought immediately!

I haven't heard any of these bands here on pg. 12 (Kanaan, OrgAAn, Cobalt Chapel). They all read very interesting!

Heavy Psych Prog from Brasil

Do you like ELP Tarkus era and early 70's Italian bands that grab the Hammond organ and smash it on your head? Check the second album of Norwegian band Ring Van Mobius. A retro classic according to my infallible taste. If you don't like it, call immediately your doctor to have you examined.

https://ringvanmbius.bandcamp.com/album/the-3rd-majesty

^ Yes, it's significantly better than their fairly alright debut.

But they're a bit Pop Prog sub genre more than Pure Prog main genre.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    ^ Yes, it's significantly better than their fairly alright debut.

But they're a bit Pop Prog sub genre more than Pure Prog main genre.
    Now that's some good vocals in my opinion. Not objectively speaking, but the guy has something to add to the music, some special colour, and he sings with guts and balls. Not like some other of his compatriots 😂

I might start a "What's retro in new-prog?" thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick L. View Post
    I might start a "What's retro in new-prog?" thread.
    Yes. Or "What's rew in netro prog?"

No, necro-prog. Devilevil Firedeath and debut album Happy EnTrails From You. They play awesome mellotron and eat no curry but rather live human brains on (first) stage, carefully donated by way of crowfunding and reboiled into biodiesel for environmental-friendly golf carts after second stage (i.e. feces). They're on InsidesOut label.
    Are you talking about the Willy Stevenson Atmos mono non-remix re-remaster 27.1 limited 7-track cardboardbox set on strawberry-scented 78 rpm leather vinyl redray?

^ No, that's the Willy Nilson-mix on Kscope.

It lacks the dismemberment poster (of all the band dismembers) and got less gore. Although Al Gore endorsed the golf-cart biodiesel thing.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

It lacks the dismemberment poster (of all the band dismembers) and got less gore. Although Al Gore endorsed the golf-cart biodiesel thing.
    Ok. I thought so.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Do you like ELP Tarkus era and early 70's Italian bands that grab the Hammond organ and smash it on your head? Check the second album of Norwegian band Ring Van Mobius. A retro classic according to my infallible taste. If you don't like it, call immediately your doctor to have you examined.

https://ringvanmbius.bandcamp.com/album/the-3rd-majesty
    I ordered this one from Laser's Edge a while ago, but I think the mail delays have kept it from arriving for over a week... Still, looking forward to hearing it! I may have to resort to Spotify or something in the meantime.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Are you talking about the Willy Stevenson Atmos mono non-remix re-remaster 27.1 limited 7-track cardboardbox set on strawberry-scented 78 rpm leather vinyl redray?

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Now that's some good vocals in my opinion. Not objectively speaking, but the guy has something to add to the music, some special colour, and he sings with guts and balls. Not like some other of his compatriots ��
    By contrast, the vocals made this more or less unlistenable for me. And, for the keyboards, I really did want to listen...

Maybe if he'd tried harder to sing with his voice rather than with his guts or his balls, he'd have got along better.

The irony of this thread title...

If you want some really 70s sounding classic (hard) rock bands try Wytch Hazel or Night (from Sweden).
    (both sound like somewhat straighter and a bit harder Wishbone Ash)