Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Country Communion-it's over !

Black Country Communion-it's over !

BLACK COUNTRY CONFUSION:
    So Glenn Hughes has stated publicly that Black Country Communion is no more, after guitarist Joe Bonamassa walked away (after disagreeing with Glenn on band plans) and is now apparently refusing to allow the band to continue on using the BCC name.
    I've held off on reporting this in hope that I could actually get long time contacts Glenn Hughes and producer Kevin Shirley to comment further. Sadly there has been no response.
    What I can confirm is that the 3 remaining members were searching for a new guitarist and had invited at least 2 well known musicians to join - both declined. Stay tuned...

Short lived, but well enjoyed - sorry to hear about this

Black Mountain is going strong.

What about Black Rebel Motorcycle Club?

Big Black?

Black Francis?
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

How many albums did BCC put out in total? I heard one that I think was a double and it was a pretty smokin' album.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    How many albums did BCC put out in total? I heard one that I think was a double and it was a pretty smokin' album.
    3 studio, 1 live
    I live in an ephemeral eternity

It was a good run. I always feel that "super groups" are only temporary anyway so it lasted about as long as Cream did. Clashing egos, and different priorities usually do these groups in. I also felt that Glenn Hughes, although I love the guy, was too domineering on the last couple albums. My guess is that Joe knew (again it's just speculation on my part) that BCC was just a hard/rock backup band to Glenn. No way was Joe gonna put his career on hold to play second fiddle to Glenn. But it was a good run, and they put out three fine albums.

Banned
    At the end of the day, Joe is still playing covers and Glenn is still a rock icon.

Quote Originally Posted by ItalProgRules View Post
    What about Black Rebel Motorcycle Club?

Big Black?

Black Francis?
    The Black Angels have a new one out any day now, everything i've heard so far is really good.

Banned
    Since Black Country refers to an area of England, does Joe have the right to keep the others from using the name Black Country Communion? I say if Glenn and/or Jason left the band, then they should stop using the name.

Quote Originally Posted by Banquo View Post
    Glenn is still a rock icon.
    Well, if by "rock icon" you mean he was in a couple of mid-level (at best) bands during their peak and a couple of top-drawer bands during their doldrums then yeah, I guess you've got a point.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

At the end of the day, Joe is still playing covers and Glenn is still a rock icon.
    "Joe is still playing covers" , you just can't help yourself can you?

I think they should go the classic Rare Bird route and skip the guitar...just bass, drums and lots of keys. Bring Derek forward in the mix.

I was a bit bummed by all of this when I first read it a few days ago, but I guess three studio albums and a live dvd/cd is a pretty good bargain for this kind of thrown together band.

I always felt that Dereck was underutilized. BCC sounded more like a power trio.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I always felt that Dereck was underutilized. BCC sounded more like a power trio.
    Totally agree. He was little more than window dressing much of the time. When he did get to shine a bit it was quite noticable...in a good way.

Quote Originally Posted by Howler Monkey View Post
    Totally agree. He was little more than window dressing much of the time. When he did get to shine a bit it was quite noticable...in a good way.
    I second the emotion

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Yeah, I actually forgot he was in the band.

Jason Bonham's monthly trust fund check is likely better than the best year Glenn has ever had. I'm not demeaning his work but Hughes is not exactly a major league icon.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Jason Bonham's monthly trust fund check is likely better than the best year Glenn has ever had.
    Your analogy makes no sense.

You're calling Hughes a "rock icon". I'm saying that he's less than that. His drummer's father was an actual icon.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Howler Monkey View Post
    I think they should go the classic Rare Bird route and skip the guitar...just bass, drums and lots of keys. Bring Derek forward in the mix.

I was a bit bummed by all of this when I first read it a few days ago, but I guess three studio albums and a live dvd/cd is a pretty good bargain for this kind of thrown together band.
    I never got the impression that BCC was "thrown together". I thought some of them had known each other for a long time, including producer Kevin Shirley.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    You're calling Hughes a "rock icon". I'm saying that he's less than that. His drummer's father was an actual icon.
    And you measure that by the size of Jason's inheritance? If that's so, then 90% of everyone in the R&R HOF is "less than that".

Banned
    I have no problem calling Glenn an icon. In '73, he and David Coverdale saved one of the most influential rock band by injecting new life and soul into them. Then, he helped save rock by helping to form BCC.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Then, he helped save rock by helping to form BCC.
    Rock never needed saving. Never will.

Banned
    Rock never needed saving. Never will.
    Sorry to disagree with you, but until BCC came on the scene, there weren't too many bands with a classic rock flavor.