Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Winter Cooking- Share Your Best

Yes, you cook a 10lb Prime Rib Roast for 1 hour at 500 degrees and then shut off the oven for the next 2-4 hours. If the door is even opened once the recipe is a major fail. The key is you have to adjust the first hour based on the weight of the roast. It truly is an amazing cooking technique.

What's more prog? Chili or roast?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    What's more prog? Chili or roast?
    (points to door) Get out before I laugh.

Cargo of diamonds as you are: nothing more valuable, nothing more tough. - A. M. Beal

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay G View Post
    Yes, you cook a 10lb Prime Rib Roast for 1 hour at 500 degrees and then shut off the oven for the next 2-4 hours.
    what are the results - rare? Medium?
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    what are the results - rare? Medium?
    Medium rare. Check out the photo I posted that shows it sliced and you can see the degree of doneness. It only takes about 2 hours after the intial hour at 500 to fully cook. You can leave it in up to 4 as that is the limit for holding its temperature to still be served warm. I assure you this is the best prime rib ever.

Jay - I think we live pretty close to each other.

Next time you make this, let me know what I can bring.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Hot Potato and Cheese Soup

2 Tbsp olive oil and butter
    1 cooking onion, chopped
    1 red onion, chopped
    1 Tbsp flour
    2 hot banana peppers, seeded and chopped
    4 potatoes diced
    2 cups water
    1 chicken boullion cube
    1/2 tsp salt and pepper
    2 Tbsp salsa
    2 cups milk (if you don't care about health, cream)
    1.5 cups shredded jack or cheddar cheese

Melt oil and butter in soup pot medium temp. Add onions and saute until starting to carmelize. Add flour and cook mixing constanty until browning. Add peppers, potatoes, salt, pepper, water, cube. Bring to a simmer. Cover and lower heat until potates very tender. Add salsa. Use hand mixer to puree. Add milk and heat stirring. Add cheese slowly and stir until melted. Serve with crushed nacho chips.

Best soup ever after shovelling snow.
    "The woods would be very silent if the only birds that sang were those who sang best..." - Henry David Thoreau

I just smoked the most wicked brisket of my life last weekend here in Chapel Hill . . . not really "winter" cooking per say . . . but it was superb!!! I was a full brisket cut in half - rubbed with honey mustard and a secret blend of dry spices from this old timer in Pittsboro (for 36 hours) - - - followed by 10 hours in the smoker at 225 degrees on a nice, sunny, wind-free day . . . then double wrapped in foil and into the conventional oven for 20 minutes at 300 degrees until the internal temp was 185 on the dot. Then double wrapped in towels into the cooler for 1.5 hours where it cooled very slowly.

It was eaten with baked potato and tossed salad - followed by birthday cake.

We have the ability to enjoy both the charcoal grill and electric smoker year round in these parts . . . good times.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Thought I’d recycle this old thread to ask a food question:

I’ve seen restaurant-review videos by food vloggers who say they don’t eat ANY seafood and don’t like spicy foods. I know in some cases there’s no religious or ethical reason for not eating seafood, so I think they’ve just written it off for some reason. Did they try lots of types of seafood then decide they don’t like it? Did they try just a few and decide? There’s so much variety you’d think everyone would find something they like. Or maybe they’ve just decided anything that lives in water shouldn’t be eaten.

Spicy foods: it seems like it would be hard to be taken seriously as a food critic if you don’t like spicy foods (and seafood!). I guess sometimes it’s for gastrointestinal reasons.

Does anyone here not eat any seafood or spicy food just out of preference?

I don't like spicy food. I don't mind a bit of heat, but I don't enjoy having my mouth on fire while I try to eat so I just avoid it.

My brother won't touch seafood. He's 61-yrs-old and I think the only seafood that he's ever eaten in his life was a tiny bite of a swordfish he caught while on vacation somewhere. He also won't eat orange cheese, but has no problem with white cheese. Don't ask me why...the guy is just strange.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    There is no orange cheese, just white cheese with orange coloring added. Many Americans think it comes from the cow that way.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    There is no orange cheese, just white cheese with orange coloring added.
    True! LOL. And I don't know my brother's reason for not eating it, but I can assure you that it has nothing to do with the orange colour being fake. He's not very health conscious. I also promise that he does not believe it comes from the cow that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave the Brave View Post
    I tend to hearty Chilli's and stews.

Don't bother with recipes I just wing it with whatever is on hand.

D
    Now that I know how easy it is to make chili in a slow cooker, I never buy canned anymore. I can just throw stuff in a pot in the morning, go off to work, come back and break up the meat and continue cooking until it’s time for dinner.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Now that I know how easy it is to make chili in a slow cooker, I never buy canned anymore. I can just throw stuff in a pot in the morning, go off to work, come back and break up the meat and continue cooking until it’s time for dinner.
    Add some lime juice to your chili. It gives it a nice tanginess! Deeeeeelicious!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Thought I’d recycle this old thread to ask a food question:

I’ve seen restaurant-review videos by food vloggers who say they don’t eat ANY seafood and don’t like spicy foods. I know in some cases there’s no religious or ethical reason for not eating seafood, so I think they’ve just written it off for some reason. Did they try lots of types of seafood then decide they don’t like it? Did they try just a few and decide? There’s so much variety you’d think everyone would find something they like. Or maybe they’ve just decided anything that lives in water shouldn’t be eaten.

Spicy foods: it seems like it would be hard to be taken seriously as a food critic if you don’t like spicy foods (and seafood!). I guess sometimes it’s for gastrointestinal reasons.

It comes down to where I am and whats for dinner.
    Sometimes I don't have a choice where or what. Groups choice, or luck of the draw.
    I employ a sliding scale of food preference.
    I like some seafood more than others, some methods of preparation better than others.
    Broiled fish, cooked shellfish, sushi, various crustaceans ( but not a fan of picking crab )
    deep fried fish and other sea things, not so much. Raw shellfish, no thanks.
    I was raised in a home where the food was put in front of you was dinner ( breakfast, lunch ).
    Growing up I ate a lot of stuff I choose not to eat now. I was encouraged ( but not forced ) to try new foods.
    Spicy is good. I like savory food more than sweet.

I know middle aged people that, by choice, eat bland sweet stuff breakfast lunch and dinner.
    The best guess I have is that growing up they were allowed to dictate their own food choices.

I don't look down on people with food preferences that don't match mine, but unless there is a legit allergy issue I do think they might just be fussy.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Tonight it's time to roast up an Acorn Squash.
    As noted above, I go for savory rather than sweet.
    It will be seasoned with butter and Trader Joe's Chili Onion Crunch.
    I just picked up the Chili Onion Crunch, new to me. Olive oil, dried onion, garlic, red bell pepper flakes, crushed chili peppers, salt.
    Should be yummy. Wife does not care for acorn squash, more yum for me.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Tonight it's time to roast up an Acorn Squash.
    As noted above, I go for savory rather than sweet.
    It will be seasoned with butter and Trader Joe's Chili Onion Crunch.
    I just picked up the Chili Onion Crunch, new to me. Olive oil, dried onion, garlic, red bell pepper flakes, crushed chili peppers, salt.
    Should be yummy. Wife does not care for acorn squash, more yum for me.
    Just made acorn squash a couple of days ago - cut in half - de-seeded - stuffed cavity with a packet of Trader Joe's Melodious Blend* (which I think is discontinued), some TJs vegan chorizo and some day-old brown rice. Splash some olive oil on top and roast covered for an hour and uncovered for about 30-40 minutes depending on the size of the squash. Delicious.

*A mix of Cooked Green Lentils, Cooked Red Lentils, Cooked Green Garbanzo Beans, Tomatoes, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Sea Salt.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    There is no orange cheese, just white cheese with orange coloring added. Many Americans think it comes from the cow that way.
    Not 100% true. The reason they added coloring to cheese in the first place was to mimic the natural orange/gold color of some of the English cheeses that were considered high quality.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I eat cooked seafood, but won't touch the raw stuff. I don't order lobster, or crab in the shell, but only because it's too much work to eat. I'll sometimes order it if it's on the menu lazy man style.

Today we made roasted cauliflower soup with hazelnut and bacon garnish. It was incredibly rich and decadent. Perfect for fall!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    Just made acorn squash a couple of days ago - cut in half - de-seeded - stuffed cavity with a packet of Trader Joe's Melodious Blend* (which I think is discontinued), some TJs vegan chorizo and some day-old brown rice. Splash some olive oil on top and roast covered for an hour and uncovered for about 30-40 minutes depending on the size of the squash. Delicious.

*A mix of Cooked Green Lentils, Cooked Red Lentils, Cooked Green Garbanzo Beans, Tomatoes, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Sea Salt.
    That sounds delicious! I'm going to have to try that! There's some Beyond Sausage in my freezer waiting to be eaten.