Thread: No Vinyl for Lifesigns

No Vinyl for Lifesigns

Just got a message saying that Lifesigns will not be released on vinyl. Reasons given, tech issues, flow of songs and album would be compromised. A unkind cut to be sure.
    The older I get, the better I was.

This was done after a discussion with the band. The song lengths and splits meant we would have had to do song edits and changed the order to make this work on vinyl for a single disc and would have been fiddly with a double disc too --and for a double gatefold we were not 100% confident of sales in this format with a new band. . We will look at this again in a few months if the CD continues to sell as well as it has. Certainly, in order not to vastly compromise the tracks and running order, it can only work in any way really as a double. I dont think fans would be keen on a radical editing.

Unfortunately someone got a bit carried away and it was advertised before actually consulting with ourselves and the band to check if it was technically suitable. It wasnt an album that was made with "vinyl" necessarily in mind and hence there are no natural breaks at side split points.

Quote Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post
    This was done after a discussion with the band. The song lengths and splits meant we would have had to do song edits and changed the order to make this work on vinyl for a single disc and would have been fiddly with a double disc too --and for a double gatefold we were not 100% confident of sales in this format with a new band. . We will look at this again in a few months if the CD continues to sell as well as it has. Certainly, in order not to vastly compromise the tracks and running order, it can only work in any way really as a double. I dont think fans would be keen on a radical editing.

Unfortunately someone got a bit carried away and it was advertised before actually consulting with ourselves and the band to check if it was technically suitable. It wasnt an album that was made with "vinyl" necessarily in mind and hence there are no natural breaks at side split points.
    Hoping the guys can work this out as you say, in the future. Would be a great double. Maybe some bonus material will pop up.

This would be good, so we will keep an eye on it. I know we were all disppointed but when we looked at it again practically it meant only a double gatefold would work--so fingers crossed. There will be an edited single of "telephone" available though shortly for i-tunes (around 22nd April we think)

A few thoughts (because it would be nice, wouldn't it, to be able to have Lifesigns on vinyl):

- Sacrifice one of the tracks - the shortest one, I imagine? The rest would fit on a single LP and may sit well with those folks whose musical tastes and habits developed in the pre-CD era

- How about crowdfunding? Last time I checked, there were 2.2K "likes" on the Lifesigns Facebook page - wouldn't there be at least 500 individuals who are able and willing to commit $15.00 or so as a prepayment, and which should be enough to cover the costs of making a 2x LP album? That is provided there is some extra material for the Side D.
    Last edited by LongFrog; 03-28-2013 at 09:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LongFrog View Post
    A few thoughts (because it would be nice, wouldn't it, to be able to have Lifesigns on vinyl):

- Sacrifice one of the tracks - the shortest one, I imagine? The rest would fit on a single LP and may sit well with those folks whose musical tastes and habits developed in the pre-CD era

- How about crowdfunding? Last time I checked, there were 2.2K "likes" on the Lifesigns Facebook page - wouldn't there be at least 500 individuals who are able and willing to commit $15.00 or so as a prepayment, and which should be enough to cover the costs of making a 2x LP album? That is provided there is some extra material for the Side D.
    Why not go back into the studio. There has to be a few odds and ends and leftovers that could be developed. Press 250 units just to see how things would go. However, the album is so good I don't think there would be a problem with vinyl sales. I do however, understand how the band feels about this issue.