Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Famous / Infamous School Alumni

Famous / Infamous School Alumni

This was going about my High School Facebook page today. Ted was a few years ahead of me and we had a couple other killers in the 70’s too.

309542AE-CC11-4C4E-9CEB-1DAEB3E941CD.jpg
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

H'mmm. For my high school, the "celebrity" grads include Elizabeth Chomko, Theodore Olson (who represented Bush in Bush v. Gore), and Nick Swinmurn, who founded Zappos...
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

This scumbag I went to high school with killed a 12-year-old girl. He was a friend of one of my friends who played guitar and we went to his house to jam (he also played some guitar) once when we were all about 15 years old. Years later I found out what a messed up life he had at home. Probably sexually abused but also his father got his sister pregnant.

He also ended up working where I work now, although I believe he left before all this happened. Rumors are that he was taking kickbacks from suppliers.

https://www.mynbc5.com/article/timel...s-case/3311233
    <sig out of order>

Musicians that went to my school:

Mike Heron - Incredible String Band
    Mike Scott - Waterboys
    Chris Connelly - Mission, Revolting Cocks (with Bill Reiflin)

Actors:
    Alastair Sim (Scrooge in A Christmas Carol, St Trinians, etc)
    Ken Stott (Rebus)
    Ian Richardson (House of Cards, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy)

Henry Raeburn, the great painter of the Scottish Enlightenment.

Plus a whole host of sports stars (mostly rugby union), journalists (tv & print media) & politicians.

Oh, & the main school building was the inspiration for Hogwarts. (The school is 400 years old)

I was in high school in Amherst, MA with J Mascis from Dinosaur, Jr. He was a year behind me and played drums in Jazz Workshop. I played bass. His mom was friends with my mom, and I went over to his house a few times. We played a gig together the year after I graduated, playing some classic rock stuff for a class of high school kids in Greenfield. That was the last time I saw him. He still lives in Amherst, and a guy who I'm in a band with now used to be his next door neighbor.

Bill

Oh…..and another alumni….Jeff Tate. You know him as Geoff Tate.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

I went to high school with Joan Jett (Joan Larkin). But I didn’t know her at all.

Also with the younger siblings of Punky Meadows (Timmy) and Barry Brandt (Guy) (both of early hair metal fellers, Angel). Timmy was in one music class with me, but I barely knew him, and I was pretty friendly with Guy.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

The only famous person that I went to high school with was NFL star Pete Metzelaars who played 16 seasons in the NFL for Seattle, Buffalo, Carolina & Detroit. He was the QB of our football team and took the team to the state championship game in his senior year. He didn’t get many scholarships offers out of high school and ended up going to Division III Wabash college in Indiana with an enrollment of less than 1000 students. His Wabash team was undefeated and Metzelaars also led the basketball team to a division III national championship. Division III players don’t get drafted that often, but the Seahawks took a chance on him and the rest is history. Pete was older than me, but I knew him a little bit and he was a really nice guy. He always treated us band geeks with respect. The kind of guy who always had a smile on his face. Ironically, Pete was not the best athlete in our school. Another guy in my class named Todd Langerveld, who played WR, got scholarship offers from about every program in the nation. He attended Michigan State and started out hot, but had a bad knee injury in his freshman year that basically ended his career.

U.S. women’s soccer Olympian Lindsey Tarpley also went to my high school, but that was later.

Before my school was granted a Royal Charter in 1551 the most famous alumni was John Dee (mathematician, astronomer, astrologer, geographer, occultist, and consultant to Queen Elizabeth I).

In more recent times there have been so many notable alumni across the arts, sports, education and politics. The closest to our little PE world would be Guthrie Govan, who sadly attended a little after me. There were some superb musicians in my time who have gone on to achieve fame in the classical world, including Anthony Marwood (violin) and Martin Outram (viola). Sir Grayson Perry was in my A Level art class, but we never noticed he was going to be the one who would be remembered.
    Last edited by Sunlight Caller; 03-21-2023 at 11:09 AM.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Matthew Broderick, and also the screenwriter Kenneth Lonergan (they were best friends of each other), I knew them but I was one year younger so they were kind of jerky to anyone younger than them. Except girls, I'm sure.

Also, two of the Beastie Boys, though they were younger than me. One was Mike D, the other was John Berry, who died in 2016.

Phoef Sutton - Wrote for Newhart and he wrote for and became executive producer for Cheers and a number of other tv and movie stuff.
    Wendy B. Lawrence - US Navy Captain , Astronaut . Space shuttle flights STS-67, STS-86, visited Mir space station on STS-76 and STS-91 and flew on STS-114, the first after the Challenger disaster.
    Hoda Kotb - NBC Today Show personality ( way after my time in HS )
    Last edited by markwoll; 03-21-2023 at 01:51 PM.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

I went to high school with Billy Sheehan.....................................not the famous bass player, a different Billy Sheehan.

The cross the street neighbor's oldest daughter went to Cortez High School with Vincent Furnier. AKA Alice Cooper.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Stacy Ann-Marie Keibler is an American retired professional wrestler and actress, former cheerleader, dancer, and model. She is specifically known for her work with World Championship Wrestling and World Wrestling Entertainment. Keibler began her professional wrestling career as a part of the Nitro Girls in WCW. Wikipedia
    Born: 1979 (age 43 years), Rosedale, MD

I've lived in Rosedale since 1978. My wife's cousins used to hang out with Stacy and a friend's daughter is a friend of Stacy. I met her at a party my friend had a number of years back.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Two Olympians. Kay Hall swimmer 1968 Olympian & Leo Randolph boxer 1976 Olympics. Remember Leo bringing the Gold Medal to school (he was 2 years older than me) And Kay Hall wore hers when she came to our Elementary school (I was in third grade). Neighbors attended high school with her.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Went to a small private school in NJ. My first year, locker to my left was Greg Sanders, who infamously went on to kill his parents before jumping from the Watchung water tower; to my right, famous director Todd Solondz.

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    Greg Sanders, who infamously went on to kill his parents before jumping from the Watchung water tower;
    Read up on that - whoooooooooooooo.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

My brother graduated 2 years after me. Told me 2 of his classmates (since grade school) decapitated another classmate right after graduation. I believe it was over drugs.....anyway...it was 1980. They are both still in prison.

“Bob Mayo on the keyboards…Bob Mayo!”

Yes, he went to my High School. So did:

Frank Abagnale (“Catch Me if You Can” film)
    Dick Ambrose
    Bud Cort (actor)
    Don McLean
    Tommy Mottola

And some other guys from sports but since i don’t follow football/baseball i don’t know how well-known they are.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Best I can do is: Leon Edney, former Navy Admiral and Supreme Allied Commander of NATO Atlantic Forces went to my high school about 25 years before me.

A friend from the neighborhood that I graduated with helped to develop the insulin pump, and probably many more medical devises.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

The most well known alumnus of my high school would probably be Richie Sambora of Bon Jovi. He started the year after I graduated. I worked with a guy who went to high school with Susan Sarandon and he had some stories, some of which might have even been true.

My high school had some of the finest farmers in the state.

He graduated years before I even attended high school, but Villanova Basketball head coach Jay Wright graduated from my alma mater. He coached Villanova to two national championships.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Banned
    I was curious, so I looked it up and in the famous category we have Jonathan Banks, of Breaking Bad fame who played the unforgettable Michael "Mike" Ehrmantraut. Too bad he was ahead of me. :-) On the infamous side, we have Matt Drudge, right-wing news aggregator and scumbag. For example, from Wikimedia, 'Michael Isikoff of Newsweek said "Drudge is a menace to honest, responsible journalism. And to the extent that he's read and people believe what they read, he's dangerous."' Too bad he was four years behind me and I didn't get the chance to kick his ass in high school. Oh well.

Jeff Bezos was a few years behind me, although I *think* he surpassed me financially.

Supreme Court Justice Ketanji Brown Jackson graduated a few years after Bezos.

... and my brothers love to point out that I wound up digging graves.