Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Allan Holdsworth to Play with Kurt Rossenwinkel

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2009 View Post
    Don't hold back, tell us how you really feel! I'm actually more offended by your insistance that Clapton is overrated. But really, you couldn't possibly be more judgemental. Considering all the great musicians of many races who have worked with Clapton, I don't think a drunken rant from a long time ago means anything. It's not like he has a long history of making such comments, and certainly has not done this in a very long time. Forgive and forget.
    He certainly has not apologized for these comments--in fact, he has repeatedly gone on to praise Enoch Powell, a racist and pro to-fascist who helped inspire the National Front in the UK, time and time again. And these were not simply off the cuff, Kramer-worthy racial epithets. They represent a vile and despicable outlook on life.

Please show me anywhere that he has shown contrition or even remotely apologized for these viscous comments.

Who knows what other musicians, particularly American musicians may know about these comments? I'm sure most of them, like most Americans don't have a clue who Enoch Powell was.

That was one of the very cool things I liked about the punk rock movement in the UK in the late 70s. Many were galvanized by Clapton's comments and went on to form various Rock Against Racism chapters.

I don't remember anywhere where Mr. Clapton participated in any Rock and Racism events.

Drunken rants from a long time ago sometimes mean Everything. Intoxication is not an excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by N_Singh View Post
    I don't remember anywhere where Mr. Clapton participated in any Rock and Racism events.
    Do the Secret Policeman's Balls count?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Obviously Roger Waters has forgiven him, since he appeared on Pros & Cons. Or is Pros and Cons over 30 years old?

I will read up on this however, as I didn't know about it.

What did he do with a Policeman's balls???

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Obviously Roger Waters has forgiven him, since he appeared on Pros & Cons.
    is Waters a "wog"?
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Just thinking about how utterly unique Allan is in terms of his harmony. There was a video I saw where he was basically poo-poohing conventional chord voicings. For example, a root position Maj7 chord on the 1st 4 strings. It's one everyone knows, and it's easy to finger. Of course, Allan said nothing could be easier and sound so boring (to him). You would apparently never hear him play anything as conventional and straightforward as that (1-3-5-7).

But just pointing out that even to get to that level of "conventional, straightforward and boarding" takes years and years of hard work and dedication. Most jazz guitarists cannot play most conventional closed voice inversions. It's just not possible on the instrument. So, that's why there's drop 2 and drop 3 open voicings, so that all these conventional inversions can be played.

Take any four note 7th chord. I mean any one. For example, a C6. C-E-G-A.

Whether in root position or in one of the inversions, there's 20 different, unique and distinct ways to play this chord in drop 2 drop 3 positions on the fingerboard (12 different ways in a drop 2 chord version, and 8 different ways in a drop 3 iteration).

That's a shitload of grips. And even the exact same notes and voice dispersions may sound distinct when played on distinct string sets. For example, a 3-6-1-5 (E-A-C-E) voicing can be played in a drop 2 form on the 1st 4 strings, the inner 4 strings, and on the last 4 strings. But they will ALL sound different, even though they are the same chord , sme notes, and same inversion. It's due to the different string sizes and different distances from the notes to the bridge.

20 different ways to play a given 4 note 7th chord on the guitar!

So, that's what Allan essentially dispenses with. What every other guitarist in the world spends years to master and come to terms with.

That guy is really in his own world. There's no one like him. And there really is no point to try to copy him. You can't. It's impossible. He's a musical category unto himself.

Wow! Thanks for that clip! Glad Allan is getting some exposure! ( finally! )

Notes from Aaron Parks, Kurt's excellent pianist, from the gig:

"1) The very first notes I played (the intro to Kurt's tune "Heavenly Bodies") gave me quite a shock, as the sound I was hearing wasn't that of a piano, but something considerably more plucky and odd. After looking around in some bewilderment, I discovered that someone had turned on the midi output of the C7 I was playing, and for some reason the sound was set to "Guitar Fret." A sound guy rushed onstage and as I continued playing he cycled through a few sounds (including a drum cymbal sample) until I managed to get the cursed thing turned off. Couldn't stop giggling for a little while after that.
    2) Allan Holdsworth joined us for the second tune, and after a small delay due to some technical difficulties, he launched into a mind-expanding solo guitar intro, which led into an epic version of Gamma Band. Yes, epic. The word is overused, but in this case it seems appropriate. Kurt and Allan together was mayhem, in the best way.
    3) I comped behind an Eric Clapton guitar solo on a reharmonized arrangement of "If I Should Lose You." Can't imagine that I'll find myself in that situation ever again.
    4) We ended with a shuffle blues in A. It was a party

5) I had a good time."

A pity that a well-deserved plug for the genius of Allan Holdsworth had to be tainted by dragging in Clapton's disgusting views. Not saying that the latter point should be hushed up, but wouldn't it have been hipper to separate them into two separate posts, so we can all celebrate Allan's talent without thinking about that other crap (which is, after all, nothing to do with AH)?

Quote Originally Posted by Progulike View Post
    A pity that a well-deserved plug for the genius of Allan Holdsworth had to be tainted by dragging in Clapton's disgusting views. Not saying that the latter point should be hushed up, but wouldn't it have been hipper to separate them into two separate posts, so we can all celebrate Allan's talent without thinking about that other crap (which is, after all, nothing to do with AH)?
    Allan and Kurt are special musicians--I would venture to guess that they can play with nearly anyone, anywhere.

Most people can't really appreciate musicians of such caliber. Let's face it--most of what passes for good music and "musicianship" is down to marketing, smoke and mirrors. Look at the example here:

Kurt and Allan play together-and they play Kurt's "Gamma Band", which is a ball buster of a number, perhaps one of the most "proggy" ones Kurt has written. And Allan knocks it out of the ball park, like only he can.

Kurt and Clapton play together, and the only thing they can play together is........a blues shuffle in A. Because that's the only way apparently they can play together, because it allows "God" to use the one pathetic little 5 note pentatonic sale he knows and has known since he picked up a guitar.

Allan and Kurt are special musicians--I would venture to guess that they can play with nearly anyone, anywhere.

Most people can't really appreciate musicians of such caliber. Let's face it--most of what passes for good music and "musicianship" is down to marketing, smoke and mirrors. Look at the example here:

Kurt and Allan play together-and they play Kurt's "Gamma Band", which is a ball buster of a number, perhaps one of the most "proggy" ones Kurt has written. And Allan knocks it out of the ball park, like only he can.

Kurt and Clapton play together, and the only thing they can play together is........a blues shuffle in A. Because that's the only way apparently they can play together, because it allows "God" to use the one pathetic little 5 note pentatonic sale he knows and has known since he picked up a guitar.
    Yeah, yeah, blah, blah.

Good thing EC invited Rosey & Holdsy to his festival, otherwise we wouldn't be having this thread.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Just thinking about how utterly unique Allan is in terms of his harmony.There's no one like him. And there really is no point to try to copy him. You can't. It's impossible. He's a musical category unto himself.
    That's probably why most guitarists dismiss Holdsworth. Self preservation, he just raises the bar too high.
    "Young man says you are what you eat, eat well."
    http://www.blissbomb.net/

Here's what Allan had to say prior to the start of the festival. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=B8O-2QibI4U

I think I want one of these pedals: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=b_dAV5yKJ4s

He's still the best, for pure lead playing. First heard him on that first Bruford solo record. Amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Stevens View Post
    He's still the best, for pure lead playing. First heard him on that first Bruford solo record. Amazing.
    First heard him on Soft Machine-Bundles. Blew my mind in 1974 and have been a fan ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    I think I want one of these pedals: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=b_dAV5yKJ4s
    The "Lawn Blower Sessions" ! That was great.

"What are you do doing, that's not the blues. THIS is the blues".

"We're not being paid by the note tonight, guys".

"Anything worth learning can't be taught".

For my money, I've never truly enjoyed Holdsworth's solo output. There is just something lacking musically there with all the synth tones and pyrotechnics. I like the pyrotechnics when they happen but without a solid composition around it it's just there. This is the reason I listen to "Hazard Profile" again and again. Now THAT, my friends, is Holdsworth at his best.

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    For my money, I've never truly enjoyed Holdsworth's solo output. There is just something lacking musically there with all the synth tones and pyrotechnics. I like the pyrotechnics when they happen but without a solid composition around it it's just there. This is the reason I listen to "Hazard Profile" again and again. Now THAT, my friends, is Holdsworth at his best.
    Which album is Hazard Profile on?

Hazard Profile is a Soft Machine number. It's on the Floating World Live CD. IMO, Holdsworth's compositions on his solo albums are very solid. And more interesting than the vamp and riff oriented Soft Machine material. But I can enjoy both.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    Hazard Profile is a Soft Machine number. It's on the Floating World Live CD. IMO, Holdsworth's compositions on his solo albums are very solid. And more interesting than the vamp and riff oriented Soft Machine material. But I can enjoy both.
    Ditto. There's a number of great Holdsworth tunes on his albums. But they're not for everybody. What is?! As for the Synthaxe, he only used it extensively on two or three of his albums.

I first heard him on Tony Williams Lifetime's "Believe It!" in the mid '70s. He was amazing then, but he's been getting better and better ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post

I first heard him on Tony Williams Lifetime's "Believe It!" in the mid '70s. He was amazing then, but he's been getting better and better ever since.
    My god, that is a FANTASTIC album. Agree completely.