Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ian Anderson Solo Albums

I like Rupi but the cover makes me sad since his cat looks just like my late cat.
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Presumably, somebody who has played bass in Jethro Tull and who is not Ian Anderson.
    That's what I meant.

Quote Originally Posted by ItalProgRules View Post
    I like Rupi but the cover makes me sad since his cat looks just like my late cat.

Re: Divinities - it's the one I play the least, but there are a couple of very strong tracks on it, and Tull often played them live as well.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    "The Secret Language of Birds"..."Rupi's Dance"... "Divinities"...never got around to buying these. How do you rate these?
    let's face it, pretty much everything Ian has done has been a solo album. for my money Rupi and Secret Language were as much Tull as anything released under the proper Tull name over the last 25 years. Divinities is probably the biggest departure (which i find the most interesting of the bunch).
    it seems like a solo Ian record is pretty much a collaboration with whatever keyboardist he's working with at the time.
    the bottom line is if you like Tull than you will like solo Ian.

Ummmm....what about TAAB2? It's an Anderson solo album and I like it better than any of his others!

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Oh I see. I didn't know Ian did any instrumental albums. Could be interesting.
    http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2F2C82E0B5FE16D7

Give it a listen.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    Ummmm....what about TAAB2? It's an Anderson solo album and I like it better than any of his others!
    Yeah, it's good though I still prefer SLOB (what a horrible acronym, BTW) over TAAB2, though it's about on par with Rupi's Dance. I really consider it more of a Tull album though.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Presumably, somebody who has played bass in Jethro Tull and who is not Ian Anderson.
    Ian only played bass on one Tull album(Stormwatch).

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Also Songs from the Wood (on "Jack-in-the-Green") and the "A Stitch in Time" single.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post

and subsenquently drove the drummer crary and evetually to quit
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    I have that one and like it but I really don't group it with the other three. The others came out as "solo" albums when Tull was still in existence as a band.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

I'll put in my two cents and say that I liked IA's solo albums as well, including Divinities.

Walk into the Light is awesome synth record!!!

Peter Vetesse plays really well and colors the recording with cool 80s synth sounds.

Divinities appears to be Ian's attempt at a classical suite of music. It was released by Angel Records who exclusively release classical music. This was released right after Ian had his leg thrombosis and was too weak to sing or tour. It is a credible attempt at serious flute composition and my favorite of his solo attempts.