Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Renaissance - Grandine il Vento

I'm interested to learn what others who have heard the new release think if it.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

I like this album a lot. I didn't warm up to their previous album, Tuscany, at all, but I can see myself listening to this many more times. Having said that, it doesn't sound much like the Renaissance I knew and loved. I enjoyed their classic albums as much for the instrumental parts as for Annie's vocals. This album is highly focused on Annie's vocals with the instruments playing mostly a supporting role. The songwriting is good, the instruments are all played well, and Annie sounds terrific... but it doesn't have that Renaissance sound. Regardless, I do like the end result.
    Last edited by roylayer; 04-27-2013 at 05:42 PM.

i've only listened to it twice, but i like it alot so far. it's kind of mellow, but in the light of Michael's passing, i guess it fits the mood. i also downloaded the other 2 tracks from the EP so i can put it all together onto one disk. this may be the best Renaissance album since A Song For All Seasons in '78.

Got it today. It's a beautiful album. Annie sounds great. The band do a fine job, and Ian's flute and John's vocal are a nice addition as well. The album was recorded and mixed wonderfully. You can hear Michael's guitar quite well. Thank you for this lovely music Michael. You will always be remembered.

3 spins in, and I'm loving this one

I agree Annie's the focus but I disagree that the instrumental parts are somehow lacking, to me they get some space and there are some nice ones

What a great release

Love Annie's cover as well

Renaissance-Grandine-il-Vento-2013.jpg

A+

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Does anyone know when this one should get a British release ? Have these people forgotten where they came from !?! (or perhaps they haven't - is Annie the only Brit in the band these days ? ) That's enough of my sour grapes - I'm actually pleased that they're flourishing, even if on the other side of the pond, and it sounds like the CD makes a fine memorial to Michael Dunford.

Quote Originally Posted by Forester1 View Post
    Does anyone know when this one should get a British release ?
    No word yet on traditional retail distribution, but this just in: the CD will ship worldwide (from Amazon.com USA) on June 1. A digital download version will also be available then (directly from the band):

http://renaissancetouring.com/2013/0...-of-new-album/
    Last edited by esa; 05-20-2013 at 08:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by esa View Post
    No word yet on traditional retail distribution, but this just in: the CD will ship worldwide (from Amazon.com USA) on June 1. A digital download version will also be available then (directly from the band):

http://renaissancetouring.com/2013/0...-of-new-album/
    That's good news! The rest of the world should be able to enjoy the album like we here in the US. Excellent!

The CD is now shipping worldwide from Amazon.com USA. Band is also selling a digital download directly via Bandcamp, which means that lossless formats (FLAC, ALAC) are also available.

Well, it's still £25 at Amazon UK ! Can't be long now I suppose !

Quote Originally Posted by Forester1 View Post
    Well, it's still £25 at Amazon UK ! Can't be long now I suppose !
    To clarify: the album will not (yet) be sold by the band or their representative on Amazon UK -- the listing you're seeing is from a Japanese importer. You have to order from Amazon.com USA (your Amazon UK account login will work) and specify international shipping: link

As an alternative, you can purchase an immediate digital download directly from the band with a PDF of cover art and booklet, or order a physical copy signed by Annie Haslam with an immediate digital download to listen to: link
    Last edited by esa; 06-06-2013 at 01:13 PM.

I've spun it three times and have to say that I really like the first and last tracks, but it's mostly a Haslam sounding solo album in the middle. It's not bad, but I wouldn't put it on the level of their classic material.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    I've spun it three times and have to say that I really like the first and last tracks, but it's mostly a Haslam sounding solo album in the middle. It's not bad, but I wouldn't put it on the level of their classic material.
    I wouldn't begin to compare it to their 70s albums. I think it holds up as quite an excellent album on its own.

......getting better and better with every spin. this is a winner!

Some new news about this album:

Renaissance has secured a distribution deal with Red River Entertainment, which now allows the new music of Renaissance to be heard worldwide. Grandine il Vento has been transformed into Symphony of Light with three additional bonus tracks, ‘Immortal Beloved,’ ‘Tonight’ and ‘Renaissance Man,’ a song specially written by Annie Haslam and Rave Tesar to honor Michael Dunford. The album has new artwork and design and the release date by Red River Entertainment is April 15th 2014.
    For the first time, the album and the new tracks will also be available for purchase and download in the iTunes music store.

They are also doing 5 concert dates next month:

April 3 2014 The Birchmere Alexandria, VA
    April 4 2014 Infinity Music Hall Norfolk, CT
    April 17 2014 Scottish Rite Auditorium Collingswood, NJ
    April 18-19 2014 New Jersey Performing Arts Center (NJPAC) Newark, NJ

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I wonder if any of the Kickstarter supporters are at all miffed about this release.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I wonder if any of the Kickstarter supporters are at all miffed about this release.
    They must be NASCAR fans if they are, as that would be (Richard) Petty

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

If memory serves, there was to be a DVD accompanying the CD but, with Michael's death, Annie mentioned that she couldn't bring herself to release the DVD just yet. But that announcement was a while back. I've been wondering if the DVD will ever be released. And now there's news of a re-packaged release of "Grandine il vento."

Oh well...
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Nah, because the point was getting them the funds to make the record....and the perks were especially nice (sadly, you're not going to get Dunford-signed sheet music anywhere else now). If I have to pay three bucks to download the new songs, big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    If memory serves, there was to be a DVD accompanying the CD but, with Michael's death, Annie mentioned that she couldn't bring herself to release the DVD just yet. But that announcement was a while back. I've been wondering if the DVD will ever be released. And now there's news of a re-packaged release of "Grandine il vento."

Oh well...
    I did the Kickstarter program for this and I have no issue with the re-issue/re-packaging...any new Renaissance music is welcome with open arms. But as to the DVD...yeah...an update from Annie or the Renaissance camp would be much appreciated.

I e-mailed the band yesterday when I got the news of the expanded edition, was displeased that not only did we not get what was promised/paid for (the DVD), but felt it was unfair that the original backers would not get the complete album, either. Got an e-mail a half hour later from someone who wanted my phone # but without a name, asked who they were, they answered "Annie" but dimwit didn't make the connection. Another e-mail later Annie Haslam called my cell and we spoke at length, as to the DVD it's still being worked on, it was Michael and her that were responsible, she's going at it alone and it's been pretty overwhelming since he passed. As to the album us Kickstarters will get a link for a free download of the extra songs as we should, Annie apologized profusely that we weren't made aware of the plan beforehand, or as Kevin Bacon uttered in Animal House "all is well."

Quote Originally Posted by BarryLI View Post
    Another e-mail later Annie Haslam called my cell and we spoke at length, as to the DVD it's still being worked on, it was Michael and her that were responsible, she's going at it alone and it's been pretty overwhelming since he passed. As to the album us Kickstarters will get a link for a free download of the extra songs as we should, Annie apologized profusely that we weren't made aware of the plan beforehand, or as Kevin Bacon uttered in Animal House "all is well."
    Look at you! You were hardly a fan when I took you see Renaissance a few years back, and now you're making dinner plans with Annie, and getting special favors. You dog you.

... Annie Haslam called my cell...
    Awesome! Name another superstar from the prog firmament that would go to that trouble. Annie is and always has been a class act.

I e-mailed the band yesterday when I got the news of the expanded edition, was displeased that not only did we not get what was promised/paid for (the DVD), but felt it was unfair that the original backers would not get the complete album, either. Got an e-mail a half hour later from someone who wanted my phone # but without a name, asked who they were, they answered "Annie" but dimwit didn't make the connection. Another e-mail later Annie Haslam called my cell and we spoke at length, as to the DVD it's still being worked on, it was Michael and her that were responsible, she's going at it alone and it's been pretty overwhelming since he passed. As to the album us Kickstarters will get a link for a free download of the extra songs as we should, Annie apologized profusely that we weren't made aware of the plan beforehand, or as Kevin Bacon uttered in Animal House "all is well."
    Are you lucky, or what!!!!

Glad to hear that all is being done well.
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!