Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Computers

The eons are closing
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

The eons are closing
    Think about it clearly for a second.

In recording situations in home studios - you plug into your MOTU or whatevs - converts that to digital then sends that digital audio via USB to your DAW.

This is the reverse - the digital file is sent thru USB to the DAC where it is converted back to analogue
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Does it have to be a Macbook? The Mac Minis with the M2 processors are pretty powerful and the price is right although you'd need a monitor, mouse, and keyboard for it.
    Yeah, I need the portability, even though I will use peripherals 99% of the time. Plus, Minis can't be upgraded after purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    My new Mac Studio is optimized for audio, video and graphic production. Check into it....
    That's more than I need. I won't be producing video and I'm not a gamer. I'll likely get the MacBook Pro 14" and bump the hard drive up to 1TB. But I gotta do it real soon. I'm starting to get nervous.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    But I gotta do it real soon. I'm starting to get nervous.
    You said "sluggish". On 1 or 2 macbooks, probably each a 2007-2014 hardware, first-hand I've seen sluggishness go away much upon freeing up a good amount of disk space by moving owner's own files (such as from desktop) to external storage device. If this is something you want to experiment with. I know you said you have backups but I also know moving things somewhere else is not necessarily a comfortable thing to do, because what if the external destination drive is feeling less reliable to you than the desktop etc etc. But once you have your new computer ready and you've replicated/re-created your data files and setup (plus, you have the backups stored on other additional devices) etc etc, once you're comfortable, you might experiment with the above idea of freeing up disk space (by data movement) to see what that does to that sluggishness. But I realize that if your current macbook is much newer/advanced than the above years window the approach might not help. Cheers.

Yeah, I need the portability, even though I will use peripherals 99% of the time. That's more than I need. I won't be producing video and I'm not a gamer. I'll likely get the MacBook Pro 14".
    Macbook 14" Pro is $2200. The Studio is $200 less.

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    ... sends that digital audio via USB to your DAW.
    Yeah, you're right. Data on a USB stick is digital. Dunno what I was thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Yaman Aksu View Post
    You said "sluggish". On 1 or 2 macbooks, probably each a 2007-2014 hardware, first-hand I've seen sluggishness go away much upon freeing up a good amount of disk space by moving owner's own files (such as from desktop) to external storage device. If this is something you want to experiment with. I know you said you have backups but I also know moving things somewhere else is not necessarily a comfortable thing to do, because what if the external destination drive is feeling less reliable to you than the desktop etc etc. But once you have your new computer ready and you've replicated/re-created your data files and setup (plus, you have the backups stored on other additional devices) etc etc, once you're comfortable, you might experiment with the above idea of freeing up disk space (by data movement) to see what that does to that sluggishness. But I realize that if your current macbook is much newer/advanced than the above years window the approach might not help. Cheers.
    Thanks. I regularly remove files, although I am a bit behind on that. Nonetheless, it's a 2015 has been showing signs beyond sluggishness, and I simply don't want to take the chance

Macbook 14" Pro is $2200. The Studio is $200 less.
    It's also overkill and not portable. I'm not concerned with the price. When all is said and done, I'll be in the $3k range, anyway. And, like I also noted, it will pay for itself within a month.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Yeah, I need the portability, even though I will use peripherals 99% of the time. Plus, Minis can't be upgraded after purchase.

Good points. There are some ridiculously powerful Macbooks for under $2K. Even the M1 processors are amazing. I've seen tests where people were running over a hundred tracks in a DAW with plugins on every track and the M1 didn't choke.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Good points. There are some ridiculously powerful Macbooks for under $2K. Even the M1 processors are amazing. I've seen tests where people were running over a hundred tracks in a DAW with plugins on every track and the M1 didn't choke.
    Thanks. I'm not looking for the cheapest solution. I'm looking for the best one.

I mean, what really benefits from a USB-C port? My monitor is using one (natively). I don't think my printer or external hard drives really care. Tell me what they're for.
    On a Mac with Lightning connectors, it's probably superfluous. Not living in the Mac world, USB C is great for my 58 year old eyes. It's reversible so there's no wrong way to plug it in. I have to look real close at Micro USB to see which way I need to plug it in.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Posted 1-2 responses to this thread b/c it was a thread about computer questions as the title says -- I figured topics such as troubleshooting etc,so I looked at the thread.As for actual use of music software within that bigger topic of "computers", such as transferring from CD to listenable computer files, it was interesting to read but just want to quickly say it just hasn't applied to me over the years, considering that I don't seek conveniences like that, because when there's the limited time to listen I'm ok to reach for one of the CDs or fun covers at youtube. But that looks like an interesting product, I'd learn more about products like that sometime in the future, earmarked, thanks. I was here at the thread for general computer content but I see there are some specific interesting tidbits here too for my future interest.

Oops "typo" --- I meant "bookmarked" not "earmarked".

^^ Your posts are editable. Look for the "Edit Post" button on the bottom right of your post. Right next to "Reply" and "Reply With Quote."
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama