Thread: AAJ Review: Burghausen Jazz Fest, 03/12-17 2013 (incl. Klaus Doildinger's Passport)

AAJ Review: Burghausen Jazz Fest, 03/12-17 2013 (incl. Klaus Doildinger's Passport)

My review of the 2013 Burghausen Jazz Festival, today at All About Jazz.

A small town about halfway along the border of Germany's Bavarian province and Austria - Austria being a short walk across the bridge, in fact - B-Jazz's lineup was predominantly American this year, with artists including Cassandra Wilson, John Scofield's Organic Trio, Larry Graham & Graham Central Station, Gregory Porter and the Jazz Masters All Stars which included, amongst others, Benny Golson, Jon Faddis, George Cables and Abraham Laboriel.

But there were up and comers like Lithuanian guitarist Mattís Čudars, as well as longstanding acts like Klaus Doldinger's Passport.

Overall a great time in a terrific little town, with Germany's largest castle (over 1Km long) overlooking. Review here.

Just read your review of Passport and I can't agree with your assessment of Doldinger not being a virtuoso. No, he doesn't typically blow through scales or runs the way your typical virtuoso does, but he can. For example, listen to his second solo in "Nexus" from Passport's second album or, to a lesser degree, his opening solo from "Cross-Collateral". And, for sheer emotive ability, check out his solo in "Nostalgia" from their first album. And, I don't know about you, but I'm not sure I've ever heard a sax player bend notes the way Klaus does in "Continuation", also from the first.

I concede he's no Coltrane. And I admit I feel his lack of pyrotechnics can, at times, be a bit frustrating. I just think he has a different approach to music than your standard virtuoso.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Hi Hal,
    My assessment was based on his performance. And not being a virtuoso is by no means a criticism; simply addresses how he plays, at least in the context of Passport and, in particular, Passport 2013.

He writes great music, leads a great band (despite numerous personnel change over the decades) and clearly know his shit. But if I am to be honest about how he played at the Burghausen show, it was not in any way virtuosic, especially compared to Peter O'Mara and Patrick Scales.

We may not agree, but I do want to be sure that saying he isn't a virtuosic player is by no means an indictment or criticism; there are plenty of players worthy of attention who are not, and there's nothing wrong with that. Doldinger player extremely well in the context of this group and their Burghausen show, and if it wasn't clear in the review, he and his band put on a very, very enjoyable show. Virtuosity, imo, as an end unto itself, isn't necessarily a laudable quality; if the music does not demand it, virtuosity can, in some cases and in fact, be to the music's detriment rather than to its advantage.

There are, however, other saxophonists who can bend notes on a saxophone; one very clear example is Norwegian saxophonist Trygve Seim.

Best!
    John

I would give anything to see Passport live, but i live in Canada (don't think they've ever been here)
    I have always loved the way Doldinger plays-there's a freewheeling aspect that always keeps me hooked!
    Glad to hear he dipped into past periods of Passport.
    Only regret is that i wasn't at that concert!
    "and what music unites, man should not take apart"-Helmut Koellen