Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Yes- OYE (what happened ?)

And people complain about Love Beach.....
    ...or you could love

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    That would've been Revealing Science of God. Ritual was dug up on the Masterworks tour.
    Oh yeah, my bad. And RSoG is one of my favorite Yes songs I missed the Masterworks tour because I had a gig that night. I should have gone anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    OYE is what happens when folks whose concept of what "hit music" sounds like ends around 1986 try to make "hit music."

I thought we were discussing Yes, not Asia?

That would've been Revealing Science of God. Ritual was dug up on the Masterworks tour.
    I don't know how accurate Forgotten Yesterdays is... but in clicking a "random" show 10-21-97 it appears Ritual was played along with RSOG.
    The shows I've got RSOG was pretty standard for the set list on that tour. As was America, Children of Light, and Leaves of Green..
    http://forgotten-yesterdays.com/date...8&qdateid=1095

I messed up; it was definitely RSoG and not Ritual that was played opening night.

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    I don't know how accurate Forgotten Yesterdays is... but in clicking a "random" show 10-21-97 it appears Ritual was played along with RSOG.
    The shows I've got RSOG was pretty standard for the set list on that tour. As was America, Children of Light, and Leaves of Green..
    http://forgotten-yesterdays.com/date...8&qdateid=1095
    Somehow I forgot that Ritual and RSOG were indeed played at all shows on that tour (including the one I saw). We were pretty spoiled with Yes tours at the time (kinda like we are now), so you can lose track of what was played which year.

It's probably the weakest and most disappointing album Yes ever put out. Although, peversely, I sort of like "Love shine", and "New state of mind" and "Fortune seller" aren't bad. But folks who complain about 'Talk' and 'The Ladder' (both albums I really enjoy and rate higher than anything else Yes has done since the 70s, if we disount ABWH) should take a good hard long look at 'Open Your Eyes'. It's chronic. Worse than 'Union' or 'Big Generator', and a massive step backwards after KTA2 studio tracks had briefly indicated that the band might be able to find its creative feet again. Arguably they did with 'The Ladder', but for me 'Open Your Eyes' is the lowest point of their career creatively.

Though I actually like it's simple and striking cover better than some other Yes album covers, like 'Tormato', or some of the more generic Roger Dean landscapes.

Somehow I forgot that Ritual and RSOG were indeed played at all shows on that tour (including the one I saw). We were pretty spoiled with Yes tours at the time (kinda like we are now), so you can lose track of what was played which year.
    Weird...I was at the Fairfax show on that tour and I don't recall Ritual at all. Maybe it was an excerpt or something.

It was a good show though...I thought "Children of Light" was way cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    That CD has a whole lot of BS on it.
    Damn! You beat me to it!!!
    I live in an ephemeral eternity

Funkadelic had a B-Side called "Whole Lotta B.S."

Seems like an appropriate soundtrack for this thread.
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

Quote Originally Posted by Reach View Post
    I never got all the dislike for it. I've always enjoyed it. Quirky for them, as Batts says above, but catchy, positive, punchy, psychedelic-ish proggy pop. A fun, uplifting album to me.
    I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Weird...I was at the Fairfax show on that tour and I don't recall Ritual at all. Maybe it was an excerpt or something.

It was a good show though...I thought "Children of Light" was way cool.
    I really don't remember it either, even if FY says it was played. And I certainly can't see it being done toward the middle of the set. Maybe it was just the song at the end.

Not their best, not their worst.
    I love The title track, New state of mind and Loveshine (seriously).
    Classic Squire lead bass playing throughout, arguably the best harmonies of any Yes album ( although unreproduceable live) and Alan driving like he hasn't since.
    I actually don't like the turn Billy's writing has taken of late and I do find some of the structural choices (obviously his) a bit off the wall - these are apparent from The Big Peace onwards IMHO on his solo work. Much prefer it to the Ladder though!

I remember hearing the song Open your Eyes on the radio and getting so psyched. I thought it was the best song they had done in a long time. Bought the cd and was very let down. Most of it sucks. New State of Mind and Fortune Seller are decent. The rest is drival. Later Steve Howe said that the title track was the only song that had everyone's imput. It shows.

I've always liked OYE. Even picked up the vinyl re-release last year. It's where they were at that point in time. I have no problems with the album at all.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    It must have been just "Nous Sommes Du Soleil" because Masterworks was the first time the full version of "Ritual" had been performed since Moraz was in the band.

For me this OYE is my least favorite Yes studio album. I don't hate it, but don't pull it out much either. The wierd thing for me is that the same lineup recorded "The Ladder" which I think is a very strong album.

Steve Sly

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    For me this OYE is my least favorite Yes studio album. I don't hate it, but don't pull it out much either. The wierd thing for me is that the same lineup recorded "The Ladder" which I think is a very strong album.
    Billy was the main producer on OYE and it shows. The whole "wall of vocals" thing is nice in places, but ultimately fatigues the ear. Plus, most of the instruments are pushed up so high in the mix that it's hard for any one thing to take the lead.

One thing The Ladder got right was *balance*, both in terms of the kinds of material on the album as well as the dynamics.

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    It must have been just "Nous Sommes Du Soleil" because Masterworks was the first time the full version of "Ritual" had been performed since Moraz was in the band.
    That may very well be the case... obviously when The Ladder tour took place Jon sang the Nous Sommes Du Soleil bit as well as bits from Time and A Word between songs.. Might have to go back and re listen to one of those shows to see.. I recall seeing Steve Howe do a solo show around this time frame and he incorporated the ending of Gates and the full take of Soon into his set.. wonderful evening... again this period of Yes' history was needed to birth what came next... The Masterworks tour (I guess I've already said this but it's worth mentioning again.. a high water mark in their career)

Well. actually the drum solo during the OYE tour included some of Ritual. Steve also played Leaves of Green during his spot. Great long tour. 1st half in the fall they did Revealing and when they came around the next summer for the shedshows, Close To The edge was played. Igor covered the Wakeman parts quite well. Too bad about his covering some...ah, never mind...
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

I'm surprised that so few people mention "Universal Gardens" as being the standout track on this album. While some other tracks are "guilty pleasures", I thought Gardens is the most Yes'ish song here, with some nice Steve Howe guitar parts. In fact, if memory serves, the record was going to be called "Universal Gardens" until shortly before its release it was changed to "Open Your Eyes". Which makes little sense to me, since I'm in the minority and didn't find "Open Your Eyes" to be a very compelling track. I'd rather hear the Asia song of that title, actually.

ah... this was one of wtf albums that I forgot mentioning in other thread... yeah.. I couldn't believe this was YES. Though is not horrible it is not YES, it's... NO.

[I like "New State Of Mind" a lot. ]

Me too. That's probably my favorite song on the album in part because of the lyrics. There's a few others I think are ok such as "universal garden." "Man on the moon" is not bad. It's nice to hear Chris sing lead on it. I haven't heard this album in over ten years though. I always thought the hidden bonus track which is a medley of the songs mixed with jungle sounds was pretty cool. I admit it's pretty hit or miss and over all is a bit too poppy. Even 90125 wasn't that overtly poppy imo.

Quote Originally Posted by paulus View Post
    I agree with Reach.

I always kind of liked Open Your Eyes.

Poppish, upbeat, fun. I still listen to it while driving long distances.

It's not Tales from Topographic, but what is?

Nothing because nothing wants to be or should be. Tales is no Relayer or CTTE either. I'd still take tales over OYE any day though. Who wouldn't?

The thing I remember about this album is Open Your Eyes itself, which I still think is a great song. Really loved that.

I know there was a quasi-reggae thing in there someplace, which sounded a lot like Saving My Heart off of Union with different lyrics. And I remember the "1-800" thing at the end of...what was it, Fortune Seller? Oh yeah, and there's a song with an 8 string bass part, maybe Universal Garden? Can't remember too well.

The rest of it is kind of a blank to me.