Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Harvest Of Souls - Pinnacle IQ Track Or Just A Pretentious Prog Exercise

I wound up being quite underwhelmed by it, IQ's least convincing epic. Really, "Red Dust Shadow" was the only track off of Dark Matter that really stuck with me; very atmospheric and good. The rest of the album felt like they were just spinning their wheels.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by yesstiles View Post
    ??

As an American very aware of what was happening at that time in history, I can assure you that God was not used as a justification for the war in Iraq. That’s just silly.
    Oh I agree that using a supernatural being to justify anything is silly but that doesn't mean it wasn't done by some. In this case it was the President of the US:
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...q-6262644.html

Apologies, if I've violated the rule on politics but it's difficult given the subject references in the song not to speak politically about Harvest of Souls imo.
    Last edited by Aquatarkus; 01-20-2023 at 03:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquatarkus View Post
    Oh I agree that using a supernatural being to justify anything is silly but that doesn't mean it wasn't done by some. I suspect sometimes we don't see what we don't want to see, or hear. Happens to me as well.

Apologies, if I've violated the rule on politics but it's difficult given the subject references in the song not to speak politically about Harvest of Souls imo.
    Not taking your bait, man.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Not taking your bait, man.
    I mean we could talk about the nature of the lovely music and avoid the lyrical content all together! I quite like the music. IQ is pretty pleasing to these prog ears of a certain vintage era. Otherwise it's a little like trying not to get into the political context when talking about a song like Ohio by Neil Young.

I mean we could talk about the nature of the lovely music and avoid the lyrical content all together! I quite like the music. IQ is pretty pleasing to these prog ears of a certain vintage era. Otherwise it's a little like trying not to get into the political context when talking about a song like Ohio by Neil Young.
    I don't mind talking about the lyrics. I was referring to your editorializing about it. I'm not interested in getting into that.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    I don't mind talking about the lyrics. I was referring to your editorializing about it. I'm not interested in getting into that.
    That's fair. I'm certainly guilty of editorializing at times.

That's fair. I'm certainly guilty of editorializing at times.

The song itself I find fairly okay. It has some sections that I find really appealing, but I haven't revisited it in several years.

Quote Originally Posted by Interstellar View Post
    I've always heard it as a distant relative of Supper's Ready.
    I like the way it flows. There is a melodic quality from start to finish.
    I especially love the "Mine is a real fine line" part.
    I agree...structurally it's very much formed by "Supper's Ready." That said, I like it a lot and if I am going to pull out an IQ album, it's usually either Dark Matter, especially for this track, The Road of Bones, or Resistance that I grab. Curiously, I'm just not that big a fan of the band's earlier stuff, but thought they'd really taken a big turn for the better with Dark Matter. Live material from this point on also really appeals to mr.
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

My picks are Dark Matter, Frequency or Resistance these days (with bits of Tales from a Dark Christmas here and there). I'd say HoS is a brilliant epic when performed live, the Frequency Special Edition included a DVD live in Zoetermeer with great HoS rendition. The fact that it sounds like a pastiche of Supper... and Gates... does not bother me in the slightest, great track and holds up strong all these years.