Thread: dug nother classic out of the vault simon apple

dug nother classic out of the vault simon apple

forgot i had this im thinking to myself when my wife pulled out fiona apple god bless my lil soul im like i got prog artists with similar name from 04 river to the sea awesome disc been 7 half years since i heard it wow time flys by quickly

Is this the same Simon Apple that used to play in Lancaster, Pa? They would do an early Genesis set. Always wandered what happened to them.

Great album-
    1. Leap Of Faith
    (with Steve Rodby)
    2. Weight Of The World
    (with Tony Levin)
    3. The Colours In Between
    4. Hold Me [Like A Lover]
    (with Tony Levin)
    5. A Way Outside
    (with Steve Rodby & Dave Stahl)
    6. A Way Inside
    7. Significance
    (with Buck Dharma)
    8. Taken Root
    9. The Weight Is On...
    10. Take My Life
    11. For Every Loss
    (with Steve Rodby)
    12. Katherine
    13. A Lot Of Hope
    (with John Helliwell & Dave Stahl)
    14. A Reason Why...
    15. River To The Sea
    (with Hugh McDowell & Steve Rodby)

*Bonus Tracks:
    16. Wait...
    17. Weight Of The World (single edit)
    (with Tony Levin)

Really enjoyed this album when I first bought it; progressive spiritual pop, very well-played, hooky melodies, excellent vocals and keys in particular. I'll have to pull this one out again for another spin. Thanks for the reminder, prognoir - - - - - Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Mt. Pleasant Farm View Post
    Is this the same Simon Apple that used to play in Lancaster, Pa? They would do an early Genesis set. Always wandered what happened to them.
    Yes...that's them. :-) I'm Jeff, from Simon Apple...I remember those Lancaster gigs at The Village very well! First off, thanks for the kinds words from those in this post. To somewhat answer your "Where are they now" question - without writing a novel!.... We're kind of like Genesis....not dead, but not fully active. We put out 2 new "download only" albums this year...not new material...but a live album, and a 3 song tribute album (Kevin Gilbert, Mike+The Mechanics, Level 42). All info is on our website (www.simonapple.com).

Why so long since our last studio album (2004)? Again, it would take a mini-novel to get into...but... in brief...it's various reasons. Drummer, was dealing with cancer and a messy divorce...I was simply burnt out from years of putting 100% of my time, effort, money into the band. We made some great "connections" with various Grammy-winners, and multi-platinum artists, etc...but...even as much as they tried to help us...they said, it wasn't the 70's anymore...and we simply couldn't take things further....plus we weren't in our teens or early 20's...we had families, and it was impossible for us to live in a van, trekking the country, or globe, for no money. Not a complaint...just reality. As everyone knows here, there are no "American Idol" platforms for bands like us. haha. You have to slog it out....which, unfortunately, becomes a "kid's game"...if you have a family, forget it....it's one or the other. Again, not sour grapes - just is. We even had a very famous prog band that was on board with us opening for them on tour...but, it was impossible to convince the promoters...and I understand why. As a promoter, do you want Blue Oyster Cult, or Simon Apple? Haha. And I'm a huge BOC fan...not a knock at all...but, it's an obvious choice. Not sour grapes...just industry reality.

I'm still a full-time musician, blessed to be able to make a decent living with various musical things. Same with, our singer, Dan...same boat. Buzz is still dealing with medical issues...and Dave (sax) & Stef (bass) have day jobs, but still play regularly. We still play in various forms (sometimes with a different drummer)...although mostly "big money" cover gigs. The last 100% original gig we did was about 2 years ago.

Dan has put out a 2nd solo album...I released several download only singles (some of which were songs that weren't finished for River To The Sea...or didn't fit the concept of the album). Among other things, I'm a full-time music director at my home church in Reading, PA...Dan, also serves as a music worship leader at various churches, in the Portland, Maine area. Dan and I have both been gravitating more towards Christian music over the years...obviously River To The Sea shows a bit of that.

Simon Apple is open-ended. It used to be the home base for everyone (like Genesis)...now, it's more a side-project for now. And maybe one day it will become the main project again...who knows? We all still work with each other in various configurations. Just not sure if the next batch of totally new material will be my solo project, or a duo project with Dan, or Simon Apple, or, whatever?! haha. No doors are closed. :-)

John Feldmann is a very good friend of mine since the late 90s. I enjoy some Simon Apple tunes.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    John Feldmann is a very good friend of mine since the late 90s. I enjoy some Simon Apple tunes.
    Cool....yeah, John's a great guy - we still keep in touch. The tributes we just released, were the final things John recorded with the band in the late 90's/early 2000's (although you probably knew that being a friend of John's). Since those individual tribute albums never came to fruition, I figured we might as well release them. I remastered the Kevin Gilbert & Level 42 earlier this year, and totally re-mixed the Mike+The Mechanics song last month.

-jeff