Thread: FEATURED CD: Sebastian Hardie - Four Moments

FEATURED CD: Sebastian Hardie - Four Moments

Here's a nice little symph classic from down under...

Review from ProgArchives (Mellotron Storm)
    4.5 stars. This is one of those albums that really moves me. The lush,melodic soundscapes filled with mellotron and Gilmour/Latimer-like guitar melodies just breaks me.This is by the way a classic mellotron album.The first side of the album is taken up with the four part "Four Moments" suite,while the second side features two absolutely beautiful instrumentals.The vocals reminded me of John Wetton right away although that comparison seems to fade after the first song. I acknowledge that this isn't complex or challenging, but much like "Us And Them" or "Epitaph" it doesn't have to be to leave me overwhelmed.

"Glories Shall Be Released" is my least favourite track but it's so beautiful to open,it's almost orchestral sounding with that majestic mellotron. It settles with keys and light drums taking over. It's YES-like 2 1/2 minutes in and again a minute later. Vocals and a calm before 4 minutes. Mellotron ends it. This first song is a little too polished and commercial, but the rest of the album is pure bliss. "Dawn Of Our Sun" is much better with that absolutely gorgeous mellotron drenched soundscape to open. Vocals 2 1/2 minutes in. The guitar/mellotron section 4 minutes in is so moving. It blends into "Journey Through Our Dreams" where vocals and acoustic guitar lead off. Mellotron and a fuller sound follows. Some excellent guitar 3 minutes in goes on and on as bass throbs. Beautiful. Synths take over from the guitar after 4 1/2 minutes as drums pound. The mellotron and vocal section before 6 minutes is so emotional.

"Everything Is Real" is the 2 minute finale where synths lead the way until the calm arrives with mellotron to end it. "Rosanna" is simply an awesome display of melodic guitar and synth work that are so moving and emotional, that they must be heard to be believed. "Openings" opens with organ as light drums come in. Very laid back. The guitar before 2 minutes starts to light things up tastefully. Powerful organ after 2 1/2 minutes. The guitar is back 4 minutes in. More emotional guitar before 5 minutes. Mellotron before 7 minutes, then synths take over before guitar returns 8 1/2 minutes in. More mellotron and guitar follow that are so moving.It turns aggressive 11 minutes in and then tempo picks up too.

This is maybe the most significant progressive album ever released in Australia. A mellotron laden beauty.

WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

This is really good melodic progressive rock. Smooth and easy on your ears, kind of like Enid in some way.

Four Moments was a true "lost classic" when I first discovered it in the early 90s. Then actually getting to see them perform at Progfest (despite the late start time and feedback issues) was amazing.

It's cool that SH achieved a modest level of success in Australia with this album, but a shame it never really spread beyond there. I might even like the Windchase album a little better, but this is a no brainer for any fan of Yes.

I need to pick up the new one, Blueprint, one of these days...

I have a Japanese CD of this one for Ages now. I really like it, it's a real classic.

For me the second one and the Windchase album are a little bit to nice and slightly boring.
    Blueprint was a pleasant (a bit short) surprise.

I like this one a lot. very lush, deeply moving.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Coincidentally, just found a used copy. I have their "reunion" disc from some Prog fest or other, and like their brand of sympho.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    I need to pick up the new one, Blueprint, one of these days...
    I find Blueprint a pleasant but somewhat inconsequential listen. It captures the warm, laid-back style of their seventies work, but, with only a couple of exceptions, the compositions sort of ramble on without the extraordinary melodic brilliance or the assertion that characterises Four Moments and the best moments of Windchase. I don't regret buying the album, but it is far more forgettable than Windchase or Symphinity and neither of those climb the same heights as Four Moments.

Good stuff. If I remember correctly, this one sort of captured the vibe of Yes circa Tales. I remember windchase being good too. I'll need to pick these up again at some point.

Also, just wondering if anyone else thought that the band from a few years ago called Moth Vellum reminded anyone else of SH?

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Good stuff. If I remember correctly, this one sort of captured the vibe of Yes circa Tales. I remember windchase being good too. I'll need to pick these up again at some point.

Also, just wondering if anyone else thought that the band from a few years ago called Moth Vellum reminded anyone else of SH?
    Hmm.. I would say Moth Vellum where closer to Yes. SH are really more based on guitar and mellotron.

J. Luley from Moth Vellum just did another album by the way.

My first exposure. Me likey.

Tom

Great stuff. It is an album that wouldn't normally be to my taste because it is a bit "syrupy," but it's just so damned good ...

Love the Santana influence also, but obviously Yes is the biggest comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarney View Post
    Great stuff. It is an album that wouldn't normally be to my taste because it is a bit "syrupy," but it's just so damned good ...

Love the Santana influence also, but obviously Yes is the biggest comparison.
    I’d say Yes and Camel. Specifically, Yes on the A-side and Camel on the B-side. The “Four Moments” suite is like just the good parts of TFTO jammed together into one 20 minute song cycle. I get what you mean about this being saccharine but damned good, it truly is. Windchase just couldn’t compare. By the time of Symphinity, their sugary nature had lost its charm (“Glad to Be Alive” and “Flight Call” = ick!) but there were still some pretty strong instrumentals.

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

“It doesn't get any more...like this. Than this.” --Anders Lundquist

N.P.:“La herencia de Pablo”-Pablo “El Enterrador”

I'd have to hear 'Four Moments' again. I have the SH 'Windchase' and it is okay. I had the Windchase 'Symphinity' back in the day, remember loving 'Glad To Be Alive' (the ultimate feel-good song) and liked 'Flight Call' which had some nice diminished chords. Been many years since I've heard them though, don't know what I'd think today.

However, the new one 'Blueprint' I like significantly better than Windchase, great little gem. Same goes for Mario Millo's 'Oceans of the Mind', a beautiful album and a lot more to offer than the 2nd SH album or the Windchase album. I'll have to check out 'Four Moments' though, I only heard it once over 30 years ago.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    I'd have to hear 'Four Moments' again. I have the SH 'Windchase' and it is okay. I had the Windchase 'Symphinity' back in the day, remember loving 'Glad To Be Alive' (the ultimate feel-good song) and liked 'Flight Call' which had some nice diminished chords. Been many years since I've heard them though, don't know what I'd think today.

However, the new one 'Blueprint' I like significantly better than Windchase, great little gem. Same goes for Mario Millo's 'Oceans of the Mind', a beautiful album and a lot more to offer than the 2nd SH album or the Windchase album. I'll have to check out 'Four Moments' though, I only heard it once over 30 years ago.
    Glad To Be Alive is my anthem. I love that song. I like both Four Moments and Simplicity, but listen to the latter more(due to the more varied keyboard sounds).

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Glad To Be Alive is my anthem. I love that song. I like both Four Moments and Simplicity, but listen to the latter more(due to the more varied keyboard sounds).
    Yeah, I remember being at a party, and everyone there talking about what a great song that was. One of those classics that just click, and not just with the 'prog' crowd.

It's very sweet, although there isn't really all too much going on in there in terms of actual musical elaboration. I personally prefer the second album, Windchase. "Symph" pop/rock, but I'd probably take this over anything BJH ever did.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I too love both Sebastian Hardie releases, but I like the Windchase - Symphonity even better.

As beautiful as the 2 SH albums are, they tend to move a bit slowly for my tastes. I like the more fast paced, 'driving' (dare I say, fusiony?) feel of Symphonity better.

Either way, all three records are classics, or near classics, as far as I'm concerned.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell