Thread: RIP Franco Harris

RIP Franco Harris

Another big name from my youth gone. Greatest play in NFL history - The Immaculate Reception!

And the Steelers were planning on retiring his number and honoring that play this Saturday. R.I.P.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

The only NFL playoff game that I have ever seen was the following week after Franco's immaculate reception. My Dad took me to the game aginst the undefeated Miami Dolphins the next weekend (best record did not get home field advantage back then) It wound up being a balmy day in the high 60's that day so the cold weather team did not have that advantage. With the help of a fake punt, the Dolphins were on the way to their perfect season.

RIP Franco. Sorry to hear this. The Steelers were one of the AFC teams I rooted for in the 70s while growing up in California. Loved their image and toughness, but without the renegade attitude and bullshit "mystique." Those SBs against the Cowboys were a lot of fun back then.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    The ball bounced

Everyone recalls the amazing play that was the Immaculate Reception, but it was more than one great play... It was the defining moment which forever changed the landscape of football in Pittsburgh. From never having won a playoff game (and only one prior appearance since the 1930's) to the powerhouse that was the 1970's Steelers -- that play started it all. Many great players contributed in those years, but it was Franco -- the most humble, soft-spoken, generous man -- who was the genesis. The turning point. The birth of Steelers nation. A poor, down-trodden, loser-of-a-city, drowning in the smoke of the steel mills, clutching for anything to give them hope, found a life-saving hand reaching through the smoke to give them a reason to be proud. I was there. I lived through that. And it was incredible.

And damn the NFL network for cutting off his tribute the night they retired his number to air commercials. The executive who decided to do that should be dragged out and bludgeoned with Terrible Towels.

Quote Originally Posted by wiz_d_kidd View Post
    Everyone recalls the amazing play that was the Immaculate Reception, but it was more than one great play... It was the defining moment which forever changed the landscape of football in Pittsburgh. From never having won a playoff game (and only one prior appearance since the 1930's) to the powerhouse that was the 1970's Steelers -- that play started it all. Many great players contributed in those years, but it was Franco -- the most humble, soft-spoken, generous man -- who was the genesis. The turning point. The birth of Steelers nation. A poor, down-trodden, loser-of-a-city, drowning in the smoke of the steel mills, clutching for anything to give them hope, found a life-saving hand reaching through the smoke to give them a reason to be proud. I was there. I lived through that. And it was incredible.

And damn the NFL network for cutting off his tribute the night they retired his number to air commercials. The executive who decided to do that should be dragged out and bludgeoned with Terrible Towels.
    I was travelling during the game...as a Steelers fan I would have been devastated to see that.
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature