Thread: TFK / Neal Morse / Transatlantic show in LA

TFK / Neal Morse / Transatlantic show in LA

Latest news from Hasse including some exciting news for our friends in LA

I'm sorry to say that The Flower Kings won't be able to do a proper US tour this time. The reason for that is time. Now on friday we're going to enter the fantastic Fenix studios (yes we'll be recording over the Easter holiday and for many more days to come). Of course we'll still do RoSFest (as we're announced as headliners on friday May 3rd).

It also got confirmed earlier today that we're going to make a concert together with Neal Morse Band + Transatlantic encore, in LA at the beautiful La Mirada Theater on May 7th. We'll give you info on tickets etc as soon as we have any. People in the LA area (or wherever you live), welcome to the show!

CalProg Presents: Stick Men & The Aristocrats - Jan 25, 2014
    CalProg Website

Tickets are on sale!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    NYC! NYC!

Really bizarre that Neal Morse didn't get added to Rosfest this year, thus allowing for a Transatlantic encore as well. Looks like it would've worked out in the logistics category, as TFK are playing there. Seems like a missed opportunity to me.

As an update for Transatlantic fans --> Neal just sent an update that Mike Portnoy has a lot of May available, and so when TFK and Neal Morse aren't gigging during May, they'll be writing and recording a new Transatlantic album! Previously they had said they'd be recording during the summer, so maybe May will be the start and they'll continue & finish in the summer. Possible early 2014 release.

George (Iggy): plan on Transatlantic at Rosfest 2014!

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    East Coast dates please (though just got tix for Neal in Montreal!)

A Lot Of Head For Portnoy

At last night's show, Mike Portnoy did something he has never done on stage in his entire career: bust through his kick drum DURING a show.

After it was replaced -- it happened again!

Such is the power of prog.

Here is a picture of them all on stage during the later half of Stranger in Your Soul (I think that was the last song).

Getting crowded.jpg

So, um, how was the show you left coasters?????

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Marsh View Post
    So, um, how was the show you left coasters?????
    Here is review I posted on Facebook (Except I cleaned this one up a little)

So how much Neal Morse and Mike Portnoy music and concert experiences does one person need? I write this after seeing Neal and Mike perform for the 5th time together in the last three years and also one each without the other since 2008. I started with the Neal Morse tour in 2008 which should make it for the Sola Scriptora album. Mike was not in that band and Randy George had a cameo in the second half. The same year we saw Mike with Liquid Tension Experiment. Move on to the combo shows in Transatlantic 2010, 2 Neal solo shows 2011 and 2012 and Flying Colors 2012. Then there was last night. I start to wonder are they sick of seeing me but I digress.

The idea is two great musicians who circle the universe landing on this planet to play with a host of other great musicians who then come together for a time of spectacular progressive rock magic. I have not been disappointed yet. Each time I start to think but it is Neal and Mike again, I go to the show and I get blown away all over again. Of course, they surround themselves with such great musical allies that it can't help but be great. Last night not only Randy George, Bill Hubauer and Eric Gillette (sadly guitarist Adson Sodré had visa problems and couldn’t make the two American dates) but throw in the mix the unique and equally talented band, The Flower Kings, and it just cannot help but be great. Did I say how great it was? ;-)

I should note here, before going forward, and give a shout out to Jim Harrel, who's Calprog promotion team has made all of these shows possible. Without Jim and friends, So Cal would be just another black hole in the elusive prog universe. I am not sure how many people were there that last night but I am guessing about 400-500 which I hope makes the show a break even for the promoter. All I can say is thank you to Jim and his staff, the lovely staff at the La Mirada performing arts center and all the volunteers who make these shows a delight. Thanks maybe is not a strong enough word but know that grateful is what I feel. An extra shout out and thanks to Gruno of the Calprog staff who went over and above to help out with an issue that was not even a Calprog issue. They are just a great bunch of people.

So, back to the point here. The show was divided into three parts the first being The Flower Kings playing almost 1.5 hours. They had a great mix of old and new songs. They brought about a psychedelic atmosphere to the music (as well as their clothes) it lulls you along and then pounces on you. Great harmonies between Hasse Fröberg and Ronie Stoldt over the great foundations of Jonas Reingold, Tomas Bodin and Felix Lehrman. I thought the 1.5 hour show left you wanting more but it was very satisfying.

The second part was The Neal Morse band and from the beginning of Momentum through the end of World Without End the music was a power wall coming at you engulfing you then letting you down gently. With the exception of two improvised acoustic numbers which happened when Mike Portnoy kicked in two bass drum heads, the music rolled like a well-oiled tank. Seeing Neal in October of 2012 he played something from every album except Question mark (?). Last night he gave a terrific suite of that album, however, the song he played from One, Author of Confusion, left any doubt as to the prowess of Neal and this band. The song was a technical musical piece that went into a very intricate vocal harmony as well. I was left once again, stunned.

The third and final part came in the Encore of Transatlantic music. Starting with the lovely and haunting Bridge Across Forever with just Neal and Roine. From this is where they changed it again adding different pieces of the two bands to get a different take on some very familiar and great music. Hearing Jonas play bass to the TA songs as well as Randy offered up a different feel to the music. Jonas played the first half of the Whirlwind medley and Randy joined of the second part. Throwing Bill and Eric into the mix added just a little more. If that wasn't enough Hasse joined Neal towards the second half of Stranger in Your Soul to add some great vocals to that song while Jonas returned to play bass pedals, Tomas to join on keys and Felix banging out some chops on one of Mike's floor Tom's and cymbal really you could not look everywhere at once to catch all of it.

So to answer my question of how much is too much all I can say is there is never too much. I realize something now as I did in the 70's that these musicians are something special. Their memory for the music and their hearts are all in the right the place to deliver inspired and technically sound progressive rock. They love writing and performing this music as much as we love hearing it. On top of it they are such great people it is hard not to like them. I think I enjoy each new show more than the last and this one was no exception. Keep 'em coming Neal, Mike, Roine, Randy. Jonas, Tomas, Bill, Eric, Hasse and Felix! I will be there.
    Last edited by Garion81; 05-09-2013 at 10:17 PM.

Great review, that is exactly how I felt about the Keswick show on Sunday.

Thank you Dan. It was a wonderful show. Should have been sold out. These guys are tremendous live.

Wonderful review. Every time I see any incarnation of Neal live I also get that feeling of "there is never too much"! I am always overwhelmed by the show and Neal's enthusiasm. Despite the sound difficulties, I'm glad that it was a great show out there!

Now, onto recording Transatlantic 4!

Quote Originally Posted by ScottAM View Post
    Wonderful review. Every time I see any incarnation of Neal live I also get that feeling of "there is never too much"! I am always overwhelmed by the show and Neal's enthusiasm. Despite the sound difficulties, I'm glad that it was a great show out there!

Now, onto recording Transatlantic 4!
    Thank you Scott. Wasn't any sound issues just Mike's superhuman right foot that punctured, no shattered, two bass drum heads. He also mentioned it was his first show in 20 years without his drum tech but the crew really pitched in and fixed them both in pretty good time. So there was a song that had to be started again (I think it was the ? medley). The good side is we had two solo songs by Neal and few members joining in.