Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Update on King Crimson Book (and, sadly, me)

Update on King Crimson Book (and, sadly, me)

Hello everyone,
    Well, I’m sorry to say it seems that almost every time I reach out to you it’s bad news. Sadly, once again.

A week ago last Saturday I suffered another relapse of the organising inflammatory pneumonia that I’ve been fighting for the past year (hard to believe). This will be the fourth time since my initial bout, and the second time to land me in hospital.

The good news: I was only in for five days, though I feel, even at home, like I’ve had the stuffing knocked outta me. Anyway, the good news is I finally got to see the head of respirology, and there’s a new treatment plan underway. While it is still an immuno-suppressant, it won’t be quite as severe as the prednisone and the objective of the new med is to allow me to reduce the prednisone either completely or to a small enough dose to be ok(ish) for the long term. There are other side effects, but not as bad as prednisone, as long as I can tolerate it. I started it this past Monday (along with an antibiotic I have to take three times/week).So far, so good (well the antibiotic makes me a little nauseous but I've got something for that), though it’s very early days as I’ll be increasing the dose of the immuno-suppressant considerably over the next few weeks.

The bad news: people who get organising inflammatory pneumonia fall I’m into three categories: (a) people who get it, get over it, and that’s that; (b) people who get it, suffer one relapse and *that’s* that; and (c) a much smaller number of people who get it, suffer ongoing relapses and can be dealing with the condition for years. Sadly, I fall into the third category, but the objective, with the new plan, is to at least make it possible for me to avoid further hospitalisations, as long as my oxygen saturation remains ok, along with everything else.

So, what does this mean for the King Crimson book? I am currently two-thirds of the way through writing up book exclusives on the Poseidon, Lizard and Islands session reels, and have one more big article to write after that (I’ll keep that one secret for now). Another planned article is being scrapped, but it’s of lesser importance. After that, I’ve got a few section intros to write and then the first draft will be done.

Given my current strength, I’m now looking at writing into early 2023, but if all goes well and nothing else happens, I’m hoping to get everything wrapped up by end of January, early February at the latest, with an eye to publication perhaps late in the year.

So that’s the scoop, folks. I didn’t want to post about this ’til I was home and more or less settled - though, as I said, I’m still pretty weak. But I’m improving bit by bit, day by day, and thank everyone who has reached out with their concern. I also appreciate folks’ patience with a book that was planned to be finished well before now. But life intrudes, doesn’t it?

Best of the season to everyone, and I’ll try to post a little more often when I feel a bit more back on my feet.

Cheers!
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

I'm sorry to hear of your health troubles, John, that sounds like a pretty rough go of things. Fingers crossed things can improve for you, and of course the book can be put on hold for as long as need be. Good vibes sent your way.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Thanks for keeping us informed about your condition. All of us here wish that you be healed with great speed! Don't fret about the KC book; that will get taken care of in due time, and no one doubts it will be of exceptional quality whenever it does get released. Just make sure the quality of your rest is equally exceptional. All the best to you & yours.

I have been wondering how you were doing, John. Thank you for both updates. I am excited about the book of course but your health is far more important to me. I hate to hear that you have had these setbacks. I sure hope the new treatment plan makes a big difference. Please shout if there is anything I can do.

If you’d like my first-person story for the book about slapping ole Fripp on the back in Oakland in 1981, just let me know. LOL

Best wishes for a full recovery, John.

Thanks for the update, John. Wishing you a speedy recovery. Like others have said, don't worry about the book. Your health is the more important thing, so get some rest and keep taking care of yourself.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Sorry to hear of your ongoing struggles, John. Best wishes for a return to health and along with that a return to everything you haven't been able to while affected.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

All the best for your health, John. I will look forward to the book whenever you are able to complete it!

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Take care of yourself John.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

All the best, John....take care. We can wait. All things Crimson-related are worth waiting for.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

All of my best, John. I hope 2023 finds your health on the upswing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Sorry to hear about the health setbacks, John, but glad you’re starting to feel better.

So sorry to learn about your health issues, John. please know that everyone here is cheering for you and we all hope you will get through it all.

Take care of yourself.

Ah, shit. That blows goats. I'll buy the KC book whenever it comes out, but remember, health comes first.

If it won't offend you, I'll pray for your recovery.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

A quick thanks to all for their kind wishes and prayers (and no, I am absolutely not offended...I may not be religious myself, but have great respect for those who are, and how can I not appreciate them praying on my behalf?).

This looks like it's going to be a long term thing, but if the new treatment is better than the current one, that'll be a very good thing. There's another health issue involved that's connected to this organising inflammatory pneumonia, but I didn't want to bore folks with any more details.

The good news is it will be resolvable with a day procedure that I'll likely get within the next few months. In the meantime it's manageable with a medication that is another one they don't like for the long term, but until I can get the procedure, they're fine with it.

In the meantime, I'm very keen to get back to writing. I've finished the article on the Poseidon sessions, am 2/3 through Lizard,leaving only Islands left. The other article, which I'll leave to reveal later, was an unexpected addition but both the publisher and I agree that it will close the circle and put a very nice period on the book.

Again, folks, thanks for your kind words (and prayers). It's very much appreciated!
    Cheers!
    John
    John Kelman

Thanks for the update, John - very sorry to see that things are still not going so well with your health. I'm praying for your recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    A quick thanks to all for their kind wishes and prayers (and no, I am absolutely not offended...I may not be religious myself, but have great respect for those who are, and how can I not appreciate them praying on my behalf?).

This looks like it's going to be a long term thing, but if the new treatment is better than the current one, that'll be a very good thing. There's another health issue involved that's connected to this organising inflammatory pneumonia, but I didn't want to bore folks with any more details.

The good news is it will be resolvable with a day procedure that I'll likely get within the next few months. In the meantime it's manageable with a medication that is another one they don't like for the long term, but until I can get the procedure, they're fine with it.

In the meantime, I'm very keen to get back to writing. I've finished the article on the Poseidon sessions, am 2/3 through Lizard,leaving only Islands left. The other article, which I'll leave to reveal later, was an unexpected addition but both the publisher and I agree that it will close the circle and put a very nice period on the book.

Again, folks, thanks for your kind words (and prayers). It's very much appreciated!
    Cheers!
    John
    Wishing the very best for you and your health moving forward! Love your writing.

So sad to hear about your enduring troubles, John. Your voice in regard to allthings contemporary-jazz/progressive-and-beyond remains singular and seminal, not least now that much of the cultural logistics of recorded music and its connotations are receding. Here's hoping all the best.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I hope you get well soon! I have been enjoying your writing on All About Jazz very much.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Praying for you John.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Quote Originally Posted by mellotron storm View Post
    Praying for you John.
    Ditto !!

Pray for you, John.

Again thanks to all for the kind wishes. FWIW, the writing is one of the things that is keeping me going through the mountains of tests and doctor appts. Fen if I can't write as much as when I'm well, what little I can do still gives me great pleasure.

And beyond individual releases, once I've done the book I've already got my first box set lined up to review (though I've no idea when it'll be out as I believe it's still in the planning/writing/production stage): Madfish will be doing a 20CD Martin Carthy at the BBC box. As a dovetail to thr recently released snd absolutely wonderful Bert Jansch at the BBC (8CDs), I've been getting my traditional British folk jones well and truly fulfilled, and in the best way possible. If the Carthy is only half as good as the Jansch, it'll still be a monster box.

Anyway, just rambling. Thanks again guys, much appreciated. I'm trying to remain positive but, to,he honest, there are days where it's a little more difficult than others...
    John Kelman

Sorry to say I barely saw this. OIP is no joke and I hope you crush that monster.