Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elton John's Last US concert

Elton John's Last US concert

Did anyone catch Elton John's concert at Dodger Stadium last night? It was broadcast on Disney+, which I don't have it. I have seen him a bunch of times live over the decades, and he never disappoints. But he is now 75 and it's been a bit since I've seen him on DVD. He hasn't hit the high notes since the mid 80's throat surgery, but he managed just fine. The concert is going to be part of a documentary scheduled for release about a year from now.

Was wondering if anyone had any opinions about the concert.

Like you I have seen Elton a few times over the decades. I did miss this farewell tour... just not into football/baseball stadium shows any longer. Having said that I now regret it. It was a great show and setlist. The camera work was superb. As for his voice I'd say he sounds better than anyone his age that I have seen recently including Roger Waters, Phil, Sir Paul... Nice staging and Dodger Stadium looked fantastic as well. Also great use of blimp and drone camera's.

Quote Originally Posted by rich View Post
    Like you I have seen Elton a few times over the decades. I did miss this farewell tour... just not into football/baseball stadium shows any longer. Having said that I now regret it. It was a great show and setlist. The camera work was superb. As for his voice I'd say he sounds better than anyone his age that I have seen recently including Roger Waters, Phil, Sir Paul... Nice staging and Dodger Stadium looked fantastic as well. Also great use of blimp and drone camera's.
    Went over to setlist.fm to check out the song selection and EJ stuck with the greatest hits. I wanted but didn't expect a set list like on his 60 birthday at MSG where he dug a little deeper into his catalog. My friend text me and stated he thought Elton was in fine voice. He has fared better than most of our favs from the 60's and 70's. It goes without saying that at this point in his career, the staging would be excellent. The airborne cameras are a nice touch. I guess I have to wait for the documentary / Blu-Ray in about a year.
    Last edited by Tangram; 2 Weeks Ago at 03:52 AM.

I saw Elton twice. The second time was in the huge Oakland Arena, touring for the mediocre album The One.

But the first time was at the reasonably-sized Berkeley Community Theatre, during the "Back in the U.S.S.A." tour in '79 or so. First set: Elton and a piano. Second set: Elton and Ray Cooper. It was astonishing. When he doesn't have a band to take up the slack he's an incredible pianist.
    Yemen hardly ever exports cookies.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I saw Elton John once. Around 1980. With his original band (most of it). It was spectacular, I was right next to the stage. I'm interested in a Blue Ray.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    But the first time was at the reasonably-sized Berkeley Community Theatre, during the "Back in the U.S.S.A." tour in '79 or so. First set: Elton and a piano. Second set: Elton and Ray Cooper. It was astonishing. When he doesn't have a band to take up the slack he's an incredible pianist.
    I've been listening to a 1979 Moscow show from this particular period recently. This was broadcast by the BBC at the time and he improvises a fair bit on that one. There's a long cover of 'I Heard It Through The Grapevine' with some superb piano playing. Vocally, he was at the top of his game too- as such, I think this version of 'Skyline Pigeon' (an early song) is definitive.

In later years, vocally...sometimes you have things like that 'I'm Dill Dannon' video from 2020 which caused online comment/hilarity. That somewhat odd 'barking' delivery. But other times he sounds OK- it's just one of those things.
    Last edited by JJ88; 2 Weeks Ago at 04:05 PM.

I was lucky enough to see Elton 4 times over the years. He never failed to deliver a great show. The last time I saw him was 7 years ago. He did a 3 hour show with no intermission at 68 years old. The only seats we could get were behind the stage, which I thought would suck, but they ended up giving a whole different perspective on his performance. Since we were sitting behind Elton, we could really see his piano playing. Considering how short his fingers are, it was amazing to witness from that perspective. Watching the crowd reaction to his songs from behind the stage was also kind of cool. Elton made sure to acknowledge us behind the stage folks throughout the show and of course his band was fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I've been listening to a 1979 Moscow show from this particular period recently. This was broadcast by the BBC at the time and he improvises a fair bit on that one. There's a long cover of 'I Heard It Through The Grapevine' with some superb piano playing. Vocally, he was at the top of his game too- as such, I think this version of 'Skyline Pigeon' (an early song) is definitive.

In later years, vocally...sometimes you have things like that 'I'm Dill Dannon' video from 2020 which caused online comment/hilarity. That somewhat odd 'barking' delivery. But other times he sounds OK- it's just one of those things.
    I've seen Elton a half dozen times although I missed seeing just him and Ray. They have had those concerts sporadically over the years. I got the 1979 Moscow show but the part that bothers me about it is the number of effects on his voice. It would have been better with less. Musically, both EJ and Ray were at the top of their games.

I've been listening to a 1979 Moscow show from this particular period recently. This was broadcast by the BBC at the time and he improvises a fair bit on that one. There's a long cover of 'I Heard It Through The Grapevine' with some superb piano playing. Vocally, he was at the top of his game too- as such, I think this version of 'Skyline Pigeon' (an early song) is definitive..
    Yeah, that Moscow recording is amazing.
    "Don't look here. The joke's in your hand."

- Public Restroom Wall

I saw EJ twice. The first time was '89 and it was incredible. Just a freaking great show.

Then I saw him with Billy Joel, which was also great, They each did a song from the other's catalog. Billy Joel sang "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road," and Elton sang "New York State of Mind." But, the highlight was when they played "A Hard Day's Night" together.

Of course, John Lennon's last live performance was with his friend, Elton.

- Public Restroom Wall

Ah, this probably belongs on the "Missed Shows" thread, but...

in 1998, for our twentieth anniversary and both of our twentieth birthdays (all of which fell in a thirty-day time period), we did a four-week trip to Europe. The first intentional stop was Vienna. I had learned in advance that the Elton/Billy show was going to hit Vienna while we were there, and had managed to reserve some tickets.

When we went to pick up the tickets, they said that the show had been cancelled because Billy Joel was sick. We were bummed, but at least they refunded our money (including the ticket fees ... try getting that from Ticketbastard...). We wound up going to a night of Mozart music instead. It was nice, and the highlight was the "Papagena" duet from _The Magic Flute_, but that was no real substitute.
    Yemen hardly ever exports cookies.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    but the part that bothers me about it is the number of effects on his voice. It would have been better with less. Musically, both EJ and Ray were at the top of their games.
    I know what you mean...the effects are on the similar 1977 Rainbow show. I listened to it on the weekend and that one has a few different songs like 'Ticking' and 'Sweet Painted Lady'.

If you want completely unadorned Elton- just him and piano- look for Edinburgh 1976. This was a radio/TV broadcast at the time so there's videotape of it too. A remaster of this was put on his YouTube channel for a very short time in 2020, it should be released. He's pretty 'refreshed' during this performance ('I don't want the people at home to think I'm an alcoholic, I want them to know I'm an alcoholic') but again, on stunning form.

I know what you mean...the effects are on the similar 1977 Rainbow show. I listened to it on the weekend and that one has a few different songs like 'Ticking' and 'Sweet Painted Lady'.

If you want completely unadorned Elton- just him and piano- look for Edinburgh 1976. This was a radio/TV broadcast at the time so there's videotape of it too. A remaster of this was put on his YouTube channel for a very short time in 2020, it should be released. He's pretty 'refreshed' during this performance ('I don't want the people at home to think I'm an alcoholic, I want them to know I'm an alcoholic') but again, on stunning form.
    Thanks, I have to check this out
    ^^^^^

That is an excellent performance. Didnít realize there was any performances of just him and the piano out there. An added bonus is EJ dig into the catalog a bit and itís a higher quality than I expected.
    Last edited by Tangram; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:21 AM.

I'm going to stick my comments about this final show (not how many times I saw him live which I did):

The stage production was incredible as designed by Patrick Woodroffe who does most of the Stones, Genesis and Pink Floyd stages. There were 5, yes 5 jumbo screens behind the stage - HD quality. I watched the Disney + replay, paused it since it is over 3 hours long! But fully enjoyed the hits and even a few "guests" that joined Elton like Kiki Dee and Dua Lipa. Many celebrities wished Elton a happy retirement on screen, a huge absence was Billy Joel.

At the end he was joined onstage by his two boys and his husband David and said farewell to his bandmates Davey, Nigel, Ray and the newer sidemen. I felt that for a show this size, he should have had 3-4 female vocalists and a horn section but the keyboards filled in quite fittingly.

The one final image that will stick in my mind is when Elton waves farewell after singing Goodbye yellow brick road and is elevated on a boom lift onto a higher dark stage that then he transitions onto the virtual Yellow Brick road video screen walking into the sunset. Simply put amazing and with class. Too bad so many other artists (like Rush) did not have this opportunity but Elton made the best of it. For the love of his fans. If you have Disney +, don't miss it. Highly recommended ;-)

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    ^^Cool. Do you know if there will be a blue ray for those not on Disney?
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post
    a huge absence was Billy Joel.
    After reading Elton's book I got the impression that they are not friends. When they toured together Elton got quite frustrated with Billy's drinking among other things, and by the end of the tour they pretty much at odds with each other.

I seem to remember glancing at a Rolling Stone or something similar where Elton said Billy's drinking was a problem and that when he went to rehab he wasn't serious enough about it.

I'm going to stick my comments about this final show (not how many times I saw him live which I did):

The stage production was incredible as designed by Patrick Woodroffe who does most of the Stones, Genesis and Pink Floyd stages. There were 5, yes 5 jumbo screens behind the stage - HD quality. I watched the Disney + replay, paused it since it is over 3 hours long! But fully enjoyed the hits and even a few "guests" that joined Elton like Kiki Dee and Dua Lipa. Many celebrities wished Elton a happy retirement on screen, a huge absence was Billy Joel.

At the end he was joined onstage by his two boys and his husband David and said farewell to his bandmates Davey, Nigel, Ray and the newer sidemen. I felt that for a show this size, he should have had 3-4 female vocalists and a horn section but the keyboards filled in quite fittingly.

The one final image that will stick in my mind is when Elton waves farewell after singing Goodbye yellow brick road and is elevated on a boom lift onto a higher dark stage that then he transitions onto the virtual Yellow Brick road video screen walking into the sunset. Simply put amazing and with class. Too bad so many other artists (like Rush) did not have this opportunity but Elton made the best of it. For the love of his fans. If you have Disney +, don't miss it. Highly recommended ;-)
    Iíll be waiting for the documentary and the Blu-Ray

Iíll be waiting for the documentary and the Blu-Ray
    I'm in too for the Blu-ray and mainly because it will have a much improved sound quality hopefully. The audio for the streaming was below par I forgot to add and understandably so since it was captured live as a "raw" version and not really cleaned for the replays. The BR extras will also be interesting to watch.

And about Billy Joel, I have not read the book but it's a shame that business always gets in the way of musical partnerships. Like a lawsuit happening now between Neal Schon and Jonathan Cain of Journey over corporate credit card overspending :-(

And about Billy Joel, I have not read the book but it's a shame that business always gets in the way of musical partnerships. Like a lawsuit happening now between Neal Schon and Jonathan Cain of Journey over corporate credit card overspending :-(
    Schon and Cain have been at odds for years now. They had a nasty twitter feud in public a few years ago. Rumor has it that they travel in separate tour busses and mostly only actually see each other on stage. I have read Cain's book too. He kind of glosses over his issues with Schon, but alludes to problems getting along with him.

With the Joel / John situation I think it had more to do with their individual personalities than business problems.

Has it been announced that this is getting a physical release? Disney are a bit hit-and-miss with that, they want everyone streaming.

That is an excellent performance. Didn’t realize there was any performances of just him and the piano out there. An added bonus is EJ dig into the catalog a bit and it’s a higher quality than I expected.
    Yes I don't think it was a common occurence. It got a partial release on a 'video disc', if people remember that format! I don't think it was even called a laserdisc then. Well before my time!

https://www.discogs.com/master/16933...t-At-Edinburgh

Has it been announced that this is getting a physical release? Disney are a bit hit-and-miss with that, they want everyone streaming.

Yes I don't think it was a common occurence. It got a partial release on a 'video disc', if people remember that format! I don't think it was even called a laserdisc then. Well before my time!

https://www.discogs.com/master/16933...t-At-Edinburgh
    There's a video of the Moscow performance from '79. But, that, too, is only about 60 minutes. The full audio is available, though. He seems to be a pretty rough shape physically; quite a bit overweight.

- Public Restroom Wall

The late 70s was a strange period for Elton really. The same year as the Moscow run- 1979- he put out a disco album Victim Of Love which I've managed to get this far without hearing and don't plan to change that. Legend has it that it's disastrous.

I do like the slightly earlier Thom Bell sessions. Bell pushed Elton to use his lower vocal register (against his better judgement at first) and you can hear the fruits of that in the Moscow show.

I saw the first few songs of Elton's final U.S. performance when it was being broadcast and it did not sound good. With this and the recent Genesis tour, I am wondering if some fans are attending and listening with their memories and not their ears.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Schon and Cain have been at odds for years now. They had a nasty twitter feud in public a few years ago. Rumor has it that they travel in separate tour busses and mostly only actually see each other on stage. I have read Cain's book too. He kind of glosses over his issues with Schon, but alludes to problems getting along with him.
    This can have its own thread!

Things might come to the ultimate head very soon with Journey. The Amex thing, then this. Yesterday, Journey could have had great exposure at the Cowboys game. Instead, the Jonas Brothers performed and got stellar reviews...

Where was the Amex-carrying Jonathain Cain???? Search the net for the tragic video.

^ I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.