Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guapo NEARfest question

Guapo NEARfest question

Does anyone remember their setlist was? I recall they played like two really long pieces of music, but I doin't remember what they were.

Five Suns and Black Oni.

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Five Suns and Black Oni.
    Correct. In that order, iirc.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I remember they took a picture of the crowd before they began to see how many people left when they were finished
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    I remember they took a picture of the crowd before they began to see how many people left when they were finished
    That was between the two big pieces…
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

Five Suns and Black Oni.
    Thanks. I was thnking about it because I was choosing music to put on my phone today, and I remembered I hadn't listened to Guapo in awhile, and then I remembered that the only thing I remembered about the NEARfest performance was, I liked it. I had a vague memory that Five Suns might have been the first piece, but I wasn't sure.

Actually, I think that they played Black Oni first, then did the thing with the camera shot of the audience and then went into the audience for Five Suns.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

I'm stoked that people are talking about a NEARfest performance that took place 16 years ago. I'm so glad we booked some avant and edgier acts and avoided the same old same old...

I think I'm gonna play Five Suns now

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Five Suns is still a top 10 album from this century IMO
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    Five Suns is still a top 10 album from this century IMO
    +1

Very important album for me personally as I happened on it when it came out, at a period when I’d mainly been listening to jazz and indie rock for some years. It turned me on to the fact that people were actually still making ‘progressive’ music in an avant vein that was just up my alley. It was a big factor in kicking off a journey of discovery that is still continuing 18 years later. So, thanks Steve for putting that one out, I guess!
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by nearfest View Post
    I'm stoked that people are talking about a NEARfest performance that took place 16 years ago. I'm so glad we booked some avant and edgier acts and avoided the same old same old...
    me too!!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    That was between the two big pieces…
    Ah ok...I also remember them wandering into the crowd playing flutes or something. It was the first show that day and I was groggy from the night before Knew nothing about em and was pleasantly surprised.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Ah ok...I also remember them wandering into the crowd playing flutes or something. It was the first show that day and I was groggy from the night before Knew nothing about em and was pleasantly surprised.
    Maybe, but probably nowhere near as groggy as Guapo were for that show
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Maybe, but probably nowhere near as groggy as Guapo were for that show
    OMG. Maybe Rob wants to chime in with that story....
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

I am typically not that much of a fan of the kind of music they do, but that performance was incredible and I became a fan of the band.

I love Five Suns and it is recorded superbly, but Black Oni is still their masterpiece for me. And what a Sunday morning wake up call it was!

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    I love Five Suns and it is recorded superbly, but Black Oni is still their masterpiece for me. And what a Sunday morning wake up call it was!
    If I had to choose between Five Suns and Black Oni, Black Oni wins.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Like I said, it just popped into my head, "Gee, I wonder what their NEARfest setlist was" while I was listening to Five Suns and Black Oni yesterday, so I came here to ask.

But I'll say again, you guys did a great job at always coming up with a great bill every year, and I think just about every there was at least one or two bands that I'd neve rheard before that I became a fan of. So thanks for that.

It should be mentioned that the Nearfest performance of 5 Suns is on a DVD that comes with their album History of the Visitation.

Just watched it recently and brought back memories of that killer show!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    OMG. Maybe Rob wants to chime in with that story....

They played a gig in Philly that ended around 1 am Sunday. They break down their gear, load the rental van with all their stuff and start to journey up the PA Turnpike to Bethlehem for their 11 am Sunday NEARfest gig, figuring they could get 5 hours of sleep or so. Their rental van breaks down. I get a frantic call from their tour manager Angela (?) at 3 am. "Our van broke down on the highway, what should we do?" I said "somehow get cabs and make the trip up and I will pay you back" (this ended up about $400 btw...). By the time the cabs showed up and they re-loaded gear and luggage and the rental car company had the van towed away, it was 5 am or so. They rolled into Bethlehem around 6:30 am. Too late to get any sleep before their 8:30 am opening act stage call. So they showered and coffee-d up and had breakfast at the Perkins, and got up to Zoellner. Then they slayed NEARfest on absolutely zero sleep, much stress, and even more coffee.
    Last edited by nearfest; 3 Weeks Ago at 03:02 PM.

Thanks, Rob!

...Then they slayed NEARfest on absolutely zero sleep, much stress, and even more coffee.
    I met Kavus for the first time that morning before the soundcheck. He very briefly outlined what had happened and that they had decided not to sleep at all because if they did, then wouldn't get back up and that they were totally running on coffee and adrenalin.

I saw him after the show, I told him the show was great and asked 'how you doing?'.

He replied, "From sleep deprivation to standing ovation..."
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

one more bit that Chad told me:

They did the sound check and looked out at that big theater and asked Chad how full he thought it would be.

Chad replied, "Full house. 1002 seats. Every seat sold out in a week or two," and they started laughing hysterically.

When he asked them what was up they said, "Last night in Philadelphia, we played to 17 people."
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

remembering this story puts a huge smile on my face

Great stories!

Thanks Steve and nearfest!