Thread: R.I.P. Gallagher

R.I.P. Gallagher

Leo Anthony Gallagher Jr., the comedian more commonly known as Gallagher, has died, his former manager confirmed to ET. He was 76.

According to his former manager, Gallagher died surrounded by family in Palm Springs, California, early Friday morning after he "succumbed to his ailments."
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

RIP

Never found him very funny though.

No more watermelon smashing. He was unconventional, which I liked... but he was sort of a one-joke comedian.

Sad. RIP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RIP. From the Prop Comic period, some funny moments.
    Never had any desire to see the show live.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

I remember the watermelon smashing thing but don't remember much else by him other than he tried to be political. I haven't heard anything about him in years though. RIP.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    He was actually very clever. I never saw him live but he did have a few cable specials back in the '80s in which he did an actual stand up act with jokes and funny observations interspersed with the prop humor. The Sledge-O'Matic shtick was usually the finale.

He had a younger brother (Ron Gallagher) who looked and sounded just like him. I guess his brother was sort of a failure to launch. Eventually, in a move to help his brother out, Leo allowed his brother to tour as Gallagher II as long as he toured smaller venues and billed himself as Ron, not Leo. That soon went south as Ron had some personal behavior and legal issues that would bleed over into Leo's public personna perception. Leo sued Ron to keep him out of the Sledge-O'Matic business.

I guess if your last name is Gallagher you should not go into business with your brother.

Saw him live several times. He was much more than just a prop comic. In fact, he would do an hour of observational humor before he ever brought the sledg O matic out. I always liked this bit:

RIP. This dude was a big deal in the '80s.

I think he was better than a lot of people give him credit for. Sad to hear he's gone now.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I recall from the pre-WWW days, a lot of people would forward around funny lists of jokes and one-liners and I always wondered if the ones that were attributed to him were actually from Steven Wright or somebody. If not, maybe he deserves more credit than I gave him. Is his lookalike brother going to still run around doing his routines?

The outlet reported that the comedian suffered severe organ failure and had been ill for some time, having had several heart attacks over the years.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    RIP. This dude was a big deal in the '80s.
    I thought he was 90s but maybe he carried over into the 90s a bit?
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I thought he was 90s but maybe he carried over into the 90s a bit?
    He had a pretty long career. He first appeared on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson in 1975. His first comedy special was in the early 80's, and he continued to do them into the 00's. He also toured constantly up until he started having health issues in the last decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I recall from the pre-WWW days, a lot of people would forward around funny lists of jokes and one-liners and I always wondered if the ones that were attributed to him were actually from Steven Wright or somebody. If not, maybe he deserves more credit than I gave him. Is his lookalike brother going to still run around doing his routines?
    No plagiarism, he wrote his own material.

Quote Originally Posted by Camelogue View Post
    RIP

Never found him very funny though.
    I did. still do. I once heard that for people who don't 'get' Gallagher, there is Carrot top

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    No plagiarism, he wrote his own material.
    I wasn't suggesting plagiarism, just lazy online attribution .