Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to start with ANGE?

Profondo Giallo Crystal Plumage's Avatar

Where to start with ANGE?

The title says it all.
    Not sure if I want to delve too deep in the world of ANGE, but I have to know if I'm missing out
    HuGo
    "Very, very nice," said a man in the crowd,
    When the golden voice appeared.
    She was gold alright, but then so is rust.
    "Such a shame about the beard."

I only have 'Le cimetière des arlequins', which I love and I have never explored them any further. Don't know if it is a good starting-point. Bought it on vinyl when I was young and some time ago I ordered the CD, because it was cheap. Alas the booklet leaves a lot to be desired, but for that I have the vinyl.

Au-Delà Du Délire is generally considered their classic album and is a good place to start. Though you can't go wrong with Emile Jacotey or Guet-Apens (the other 2 I have) either. A warning regarding the live album - Live 1977 - Tome VI. I didn't think much of it though it is also given a high rating at progarchives.

If I go by Progarchives, the 70s albums are the best. There's a 4CD set available which seems like a good set. Or would I be better off buying individual copies? (audio quality etc.)
    HuGo

Cimetierre Des Arlequins is my fave (along with the debut), but they're not the most representative of Ange... For that, you'd better get Au Delà Du Délire, Mandrin (careful about getting the French version, though) and Emile Jacotey... but go with Délire in that run of albums

in later albums, Culinaire Lingus (yeah, it's a pun ala caravan) is their better IMHO

BTW, if you have a good mastery of French, it helps out a lot, but not mandatory
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal Plumage View Post
    If I go by Progarchives, the 70s albums are the best. There's a 4CD set available which seems like a good set. Or would I be better off buying individual copies? (audio quality etc.)
    Depends which albums are on it...

be careful, their first two albums (my faves) are rather muddy in terms of sound... they've never been remastered to the best of my knowledge
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Depends which albums are on it...

Would cost me around €15
    HuGo

I actually really love the debut Caricatures and I'd say to just start with that one. It's available in a nice mini-LP CD. A seriously good and underrated debut IMO.

That 4-CD box someone mentioned is also recommended mostly for convenience, as it gets you the next four studio albums in chronological order. It's the typical new kind of box with the individual albums in sleeves, so no booklets or anything like that but usually a good value.

The first five studio albums have just been released as SHM papersleeve mini LP editions. These have been remastered and do sound pretty good for Japanese issues. Also worth getting for the complete packaging which the box set editions do not replicate.

Interesting... I wasn't aware of those Japanese editions. That 4-CD box is a pretty reasonable price though, I suppose because you're not getting any bells and whistles. But I just wanted to repeat what I said about Caricatures - it doesn't get mentioned as often as some of the others but I think it's a great album. What I call 'Sunday morning classic prog'
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Au-Delà Du Délire
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Au-Delà Du Délire
    This one is by far their best, and also a general must have. "Par les Fils de Mandrin" would be the other important one.

If you don't have a problem with live recordings I would recommend:

"Un p'tit tour et puis s'en vont" brilliant live 2CD with the complete Au-Delà Du Délire in much better Sound

"En Concert - Par Les Fils De Mandrin - Millésimé 77" very good live Performance of the complete Par Les Fils De Mandrin, also sounding a lot better.

Here are my thoughts, which likely won't help at all, but they should serve to confuse rather nicely!

That box set looks like a good way to start. I think 3 out of those 4 are great - the one that somehow never grabbed me was Emile Jacotey. But it's pretty well regarded, so maybe that's just me.

A word about Par Les Fils De Mandarin: I didn't find it to be as immediate as Au Dela Du Delire or Le Cimetiere Des Arlequins. I was underwhelmed upon my first listen, but it definitely grew on me. It still feels different to me than those other two, though. To me, it's a "warm" album. (I don't mean mastering, I mean mood.)

But I have to say that my favorite Ange albums are Caricatures and Guet-Apens simply by virtue of their earworm quotient. Both have wonderful melodies that I can't get out of my head for days!
    Last edited by no.nine; 03-24-2013 at 10:10 AM.
    "I tah dah nur!" - Ike

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal Plumage View Post

Would cost me around €15
    Bingo, that's their four best albums right there in one set. Personally, I started with Par les Fils de Mandrin (which was their new one at the time), but my all-time favorites are Au Delà Du Délire and Emile Jacotey.

Are they really the most legendary French prog band? I would think that Magma would have that honor. Regardless, I'm interested in hearing them. Subscribed!

Mgma is in a different universe.
    HuGo

I think they're the "most legendary" in a popular sense. Magma have a limited appeal in comparison.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by no.nine View Post
    Here are my thoughts, which likely won't help at all, but they should serve to confuse rather nicely!

That box set looks like a good way to start. I think 3 out of those 4 are great - the one that somehow never grabbed me was Emile Jacotey. But it's pretty well regarded, so maybe that's just me.

A word about Par Les Fils De Mandarin: I didn't find it to be as immediate as Au Dela Du Delire or Le Cimetiere Des Arlequins. I was underwhelmed upon my first listen, but it definitely grew on me. It still feels different to me than those other two, though. To me, it's a "warm" album. (I don't mean mastering, I mean mood.)
    Ange never really grabbed me all that much, and I go to several other bands for my "go to" French symph. That said, that box is a winner for the price. If the OP finds it to his liking, I'd book end it with Caricatures and Guet Apens and call it a day.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I think they're the "most legendary" in a popular sense. Magma have a limited appeal in comparison.
    Oddly enough, I'd never heard of them before they won that award, but I'd most definitely heard of Magma long before I'd actually taken the time to listen to them. Are they big in France?

Le Cimetière des Arlequins
    Au-Delà Du Délire
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

The run of albums up to and including Guet-apens is definitely worthwhile. I lost track with them after that, apparently they totally lost it, then regained it at some point.

But their 70s output is definitely of high quality and you really can’t go wrong. I started with Par les fils de Mandrin!, which I really like but some don’t seem to care for. It is more folky and sing-songy than they generally are. My favourite is probably Le cimetière des arlequins but beware, this is definitely the band at its most overwrought. But if you’re not afraid to jump in for a “warts and all” release, I’d say go for it. Do note that the CD (Philips) has absolutely dismal sound (mind you, the vinyl wasn’t exactly a hi-fi dream, either). Au-delà du délire is a happy medium, not as extreme as Cimetière nor as low-key as Mandrin, and is most folks go-to Ange release. Emile Jacotey I never fully warmed to for whatever reason, but I’d hesitate to call it “bad.”

Quote Originally Posted by sonic View Post
    A warning regarding the live album - Live 1977 - Tome VI. I didn't think much of it though it is also given a high rating at progarchives.
    I find live albums in general overrated on prog sites. I can count on the fingers of one hand when live albums are my preferred releases by an artist. I find most live albums to be luxuries for enthusiasts and completists only.

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"'Thin Thighs For Your Man.' But I don't *like* men with thin thighs" --Daria

N.P.:“The Battle of Marston Moor (July 2nd, 1644)”-Electric Light Orchestra
    Last edited by Progbear; 03-25-2013 at 03:27 PM.

I think everything they did up through about 1978 ranges from very interesting and worthwhile to flat out brilliant. The old CDs on Baillement, Disques Marianne and Philips all sound good to me. In cases where they aren't that hot I think it can mostly be chalked up to the source. I would personally avoid any "SHM" crap as that will surely just be taken from the Philips CD masterings anyway. I doubt any tapes have been rolled since those discs were done. I try to tell people but some just won't listen or maybe just don't care. The Japanese basically don't use tapes unless it's SACD. When you buy those pricey SHM CDs they are mastered from previous digital masterings and that's a rip-off. Take an old Philips CD and mess with it yourself if you want it to sound different, and save $30.

One of their most underrated recordings is Live 1970-1971. This really has to be bought on vinyl as the CD versions are taken from vinyl and not done well. The vinyl is cheap. This shows a somewhat dark, heavy, raw Ange with amazing organ work. Absolutely underrated posthumous release and very much worthwhile, IMO.

your safe with any studio release from the 70's.. all have some decent moments ( up to and including Guet-apens) the earlier more then the latter. the eighties and nineties are almost all poor ( commerical, single oriented rock) with the exception of Sève Qui Peut ('89) which is a bit of a throwback and is fair...

in the 21st Century: "Culinaire Lingus" ('01), "?" ('05), "Le bois travaille, même le dimanche" ('10) and "Moyen-âge" ('12) are all very strong recordings with only "Souffleurs De Vers" ('07) being somewhat lackluster. Finding the new releases at a decent $$ can be a bit tricky however...

IMHO
    kanukisbrave

"Angels die, redemption rages
    The age of man on an empty page
    And chances are
    This will save your soul or break it forever "

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Cimetierre Des Arlequins is my fave (along with the debut), but they're not the most representative of Ange... For that, you'd better get Au Delà Du Délire, Mandrin (careful about getting the French version, though) and Emile Jacotey... but go with Délire in that run of albums

in later albums, Culinaire Lingus (yeah, it's a pun ala caravan) is their better IMHO

BTW, if you have a good mastery of French, it helps out a lot, but not mandatory
    I have By The Sons Of Mandrin. Bought this on Amazon, because I was looking for an Ange album sung in English. Btw, why do I have to be careful about getting the English version?

Actually, to be honest, I think that even stretchi,ng it out to Guet-Apens should be reserved to Ange afficionados only

Personally, I only kept untill Délire... just not in Jacotey or Mandrin anymore...

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    I have By The Sons Of Mandrin. Bought this on Amazon, because I was looking for an Ange album sung in English. Btw, why do I have to be careful about getting the English version?
    Well, having compared both versions, I'd say the English-sung version is rather inferior... but let's face it, I knew the French version since the late 70's and only heard the English version in the last years (as I did with the live version).... and since Mandrin is hardly my fave from them