Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where to start with ANGE?

Their albums in the 70s are excellent, but their last several have been great, I like them as much as the early ones, especially Culinaire Lingus and Le boid travaille,meme le dimanche. I ordered the CD/DVD sets from the ? and Soufflers tours from Amazon.fr and those are excellent as well, with a nice version of Quasimodo on one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Are they really the most legendary French prog band? I would think that Magma would have that honor. Regardless, I'm interested in hearing them. Subscribed!
    I find ANGE "OK" but I much prefer ATOLL, MONA LISA and PULSAR.
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

Quote Originally Posted by ItalProgRules View Post
    I find ANGE "OK" but I much prefer ATOLL, MONA LISA and PULSAR.
    I can see you for Atoll or Pulsar... (though I'll prefer other lesser-knowns like Care Diem or Shylock) but Mona Lisa is a poor man's Ange...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Are they really the most legendary French prog band?
    Yes, to a wider audience...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I can see you for Atoll or Pulsar... (though I'll prefer other lesser-knowns like Care Diem or Shylock) but Mona Lisa is a poor man's Ange...
    Ange is a poor man's Mona Lisa.
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

Sorry as much as I like Mona Lisa, they are just Ange copycats.

zombywoof - Are they really the most legendary French prog band?
    Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Yes, to a wider audience...
    Definitely. You can go into any basic music store in Paris, such as FNAC (French equivalent of Best Buy/Borders) and find the better part of their catalogue.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Agreed. I had L’escapade and Le petit violon... and neither one was good enough for me to want to keep them. One of the few times when the 90s reformation was actually superior to the original band (check out the Versailles albums, too).

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

“It doesn't get any more...like this. Than this.” --Anders Lundquist

N.P.:“Espíritu esfumado”-Pablo “El Enterrador”

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Agreed. I had L’escapade and Le petit violon... and neither one was good enough for me to want to keep them. One of the few times when the 90s reformation was actually superior to the original band (check out the Versailles albums, too).
    Le petit violon de Mr Grégoire and Avant qu'il ne soit trop tard are very good albums, IMO. You could say that Mona Lisa's instrumental side is more extensive on these albums than most of what Ange did on their studio albums, and in that respect they could be said to have an edge over Decamps & Co. Still I wouldn't go calling either band anyone's poor relation. Certainly Ange was the original model from which Mona Lisa initially worked from - and not very well on L'escapade. I'd also say that Ange had a stronger overall run of albums in the seventies than Mona Lisa.

I'm not sure I'd call De l'ombre à la lumière quite superior to their best earlier works, but it was indeed a really strong comeback, much stronger than most we're-back-after-twenty-years efforts. The young guns of Versailles had lot to do with that, of course, but I still much prefer this album to their own releases.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Look out, there's gonna be a Prog Off!

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    Le petit violon de Mr Grégoire and Avant qu'il ne soit trop tard are very good albums, IMO. You could say that Mona Lisa's instrumental side is more extensive on these albums than most of what Ange did on their studio albums, and in that respect they could be said to have an edge over Decamps & Co. Still I wouldn't go calling either band anyone's poor relation.
    I tend to agree. If you really like the Ange style, I don't see why Mona Lisa would seem that inferior.

And for something more obscure in the same theatrical style, Grime's s/t album from 1979 is quite excellent.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    I consider both the French Genesis.

Profondo Giallo Crystal Plumage's Avatar
    Don't forget Lazuli, the band that piqued my interest in Ange in the first place. They covered Capitaine coeur de Miel (last part).
    HuGo
    ..:: Right, bring in the perverts! ::..
    "Very, very nice," said a man in the crowd,
    When the golden voice appeared.
    She was gold alright, but then so is rust.
    "Such a shame about the beard."

Au-Delà Du Délire
    Absolutely. If you don't like this one, chances are slim you'll ever like much of what they did. But the first six albums are all good, IMO.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Pr33t View Post
    I tend to agree. If you really like the Ange style, I don't see why Mona Lisa would seem that inferior..
    I didn't say inferior musically, but a copycat is (almost?) never as good as the original model

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Now that's praises that I simply find completely undue for both groups...
    If you master French, lyric-wise, we're way off from Genesis' text...

Don't forget Ange's best piece is a Brel composition (Ces Gens Là)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Au-Delà Du Délire
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Absolutely. If you don't like this one, chances are slim you'll ever like much of what they did. But the first six albums are all good, IMO.
    Exactly. The album incorporates everything ANGE stood for musically. The Genesis influenced progressive rock, the uniquely french bitter humorisque poetry of Decamps, the folky Breton vigniettes and the epic grandiose outbursts. If you don't like it, then ANGE ain't probably for you.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    I like old Genesis, but they had a sissy, refined and delicate sound all over. And they were fine musicians. Ange were raw, aggressive and with a menacing fortitude. A couple of the band members actually had little musical experience before joining, and neither did they pretend to be "virtuosos", "composers" et al. Their approach was that of obtruse directness, and even in their quiet moments there was something inexplainably transgressive about their overall tone. Christian Decamps' lyrics were second to very few in 70s progressive rock, although the French scene had some of the best writers of the day. Ange's appearance as "cerebral core-rockers" was one of several reasons why they weren't thrown to the hounds by the punks along with Pulsar, Mona Lisa, Catharsis and other such reasonably successful 70s French acts.

I think it does well to remember that Brel in fact approved of Ange's version of "Ces Gens La", and that Decamps himself socialized with people like Georges Brassens and Gerard Manset.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Mona Lisa is the French The Watch.

That box set is the way to go. All those albums are of merit. But Au-Delà Du Délire is absolutely spectacular.

Quote Originally Posted by Pr33t View Post
    Definitely. You can go into any basic music store in Paris, such as FNAC (French equivalent of Best Buy/Borders) and find the better part of their catalogue.
    In France Ange are not regarded as a Prog band but as a French band. So you will find People at their concerts that don't even know about Prog as such.

The new Ange or Ange 2.0 as I often tend to Name them are totally underrated in my opinion.

Do yourself a favour and just buy a DVD or live CD from the "new" line up, and be blown away.
    For example take the actuall Escale à Ch'tiland (2CD+DVD) which has at the first look a rather
    poor selection of songs, but will not fail to amaze you.

Christian Decampes is one of the very few frontman of the 70's how might be even better now
    than he was than.

The concert starts with a version of Ces gens-la that is so powerfull that it would put most metal bands to shame.

It a pleasure to watch these young musicians (all of them are top notch!), and Ange are never boring not even for a
    second.