Thread: RIP Mike Schank ("American Movie")

RIP Mike Schank ("American Movie")

Extremely saddened to just read about the passing of Mike Schank, one of the "stars" of the brilliant documentary American Movie along with his best friend, filmmaker Mark Borchardt.
    He apparently passed from cancer on October 11th from cancer at age 53.
    Anyone who has seen this excellent film will be touched to hear of Mike's passing. If you haven't seen it, it is a must.
    To name-drop for a moment (which l never do), my wife and l had the pleasure of seeing Mark and Mike at Shank Hall during a visit to Milwaukee around 2008. Mark did a spoken word thing, and Mike did about a half hour of guitar instrumentals. Got to hang out with the two of them afterwards, it was quite a party. Many of the people in the film were there including Mark's mom.
    It was a very unique "Oh my God, I'm IN the movie" experience. Got to spend a lot of time chatting with Mike as we seemed to be the only two there going outside for a smoke (which l gave up years ago).
    He was kind enough to give me a copy of his CD "Songs l Know", which is probably the best album title ever.
    One of the sweetest most genuine people l have ever had the pleasure to meet.
    His devotion to his friendship with Mark, and unquestioning belief in Mark's single-minded quest to make a film, is the absolute heart of the documentary.
    Condolences to his wife, family, and friends...and Mark, who l am sure is completely heartbroken.
    Last edited by veteranof1000psychicwars; 10-19-2022 at 02:00 PM.

I saw this a couple days ago. I love American Movie.