Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Prog Bands, Bluegrass Influences

Sam Amidon has the Bill Frisell connection, but he exists more in the 'Murder Ballad' genre of mountain folk music.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Unknown

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

The Other Favorites bill themselves as an "Americana" band. This song seemed to have a bit of a prog vibe to it, probably because of the Moog synth.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    How could I forget Stash Wyslouch? The "Anton Webern" of bluegrass

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=OL...L0nfMeNBfjf7Sk
    AWESOME! Thanks.
    Dan Maske

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Maske View Post
    AWESOME! Thanks.
    Yeah man...couldn't believe this cat the first time I heard this album! Such a "left-field" approach to BG but playing traditional tunes!

Great musician!
    On the verge of indecision
    I'll always take the roundabout way

Progressive? I dunno, probably not but I really like these guys. They bring a freshness at least and have some intelligent lyrics to boot.

Billy goes Phishin’
    On the verge of indecision
    I'll always take the roundabout way

Chris Whitley?

Great thread topic! Watching and adding!

I would say not exactly prog, but some newgrass like Trampled by Turtles, Greensky Bluegrass, etc have some progish moments. Then you get into jam band areas like Yonder Mountain String Band, etc

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Those New Grass Revival records need to be heard all over. Ravishing group!
    This reminds me of when I got sent a CD by John Cowan when I used to do CD reviews: https://www.discogs.com/release/9281...s-Take-Me-Back

It has a cover of "Long Distance Runaround," and on a quirkier note, the last track has the speech from "Indiscipline" set to banjo music.

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    the speech from "Indiscipline" set to banjo music.
    In an extensive interview with Jim O'Rourke in what I believe was The Wire some 20 years ago (in light of his then-recent inputs with Sonic Youth and oncoming endeavours with Wilco/Loose Fur), he said that one of his first true achievements of note as a homemade musician was arranging the entire "Supper's Ready" for banjo and recording it on a cassette-deck - apparently when he was still living in his mom's Chicago basement cellar sometime in the first half of the 80s.

In 2009 he released the wonderful The Visitor, a 38-minute epic instrumental homage to John Fahey which echoes of both the latter, O'Rourke's penchant for roots Americana in general as well as for "progressive" repercussions from his youth. It's still perhaps his most overlooked but altogether most interesting release - IMHO.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Where would something like this fall?

Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Where would something like this fall?

Under the bad Switched on Bach spin-offs, by less talented people, who were able to lay their hands on a Moog.
    One person makes a succesfull album and everyone wants to do something simular, because they think that's an easy sell.
    Last edited by Rarebird; 2 Days Ago at 02:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    In 2009 he released the wonderful The Visitor, a 38-minute epic instrumental homage to John Fahey which echoes of both the latter, O'Rourke's penchant for roots Americana in general as well as for "progressive" repercussions from his youth. It's still perhaps his most overlooked but altogether most interesting release - IMHO.
    Interesting CD. I remember at the time he said he would not make it available on iTunes or other download sites. It is now on Bandcamp.