Thread: See the Mars Volta Debut New Songs Live at First Concert in 10 Years

See the Mars Volta Debut New Songs Live at First Concert in 10 Years

From RollingStone.com-

HOURS BEFORE THE Mars Volta released their first new album in 10 years, the reunited prog-rock outfit staged their first concert in over a decade at the Factory in Dallas.

Cedric Bixler-Zavala, Omar Rodríguez-López, and the rest of Mars Volta debuted a pair of new tracks (“Blacklight Shine,” “Graveyard Love“) from their just-released self-titled LP — but the setlist still leaned heavily on their 2003 debut De-Loused in the Comatorium, with the band playing seven tracks off that album.

Thursday’s concert also featured the live debut of “Vicarious Atonement,” off 2006’s Amputechture, as well as a handful of songs the Mars Volta hadn’t performed even in the years before their decade-long hiatus.

The Mars Volta’s tour in support of their self-titled album continues through Oct. 21, when the band will play a trek-ending gig at Los Angeles’ Hollywood Bowl.

The Mars Volta’s proper return comes a little over three years after Bixler-Zavala first hinted at a possible reunion for the revered El Paso outfit. Since then, the band had kept quiet about new material, but last year they did drop a career-spanning boxset, La Realidad de los Sueños, featuring all their studio albums and an array of previously unreleased material.

Nice, thanks!
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

i'm avoiding the clips (but already know the setlist)...there's no pleasing these fans honestly (complaints that there wasn't enough new material, complaints that there wasn't enough old material, no more stage antics, no more jams, band members - female rhythm section) sounds familiar...going both nights in NYC but people are saying they're more mature and aren't PUNK! sloppy any more...this'll be my 5th time after the second show.

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex Carnage View Post
    i'm avoiding the clips (but already know the setlist)...there's no pleasing these fans honestly (complaints that there wasn't enough new material, complaints that there wasn't enough old material, no more stage antics, no more jams, band members - female rhythm section) sounds familiar...going both nights in NYC but people are saying they're more mature and aren't PUNK! sloppy any more...this'll be my 5th time after the second show.
    Saw The Mars Volta Friday night in NYC and had a GREAT TIME. After years of watching the band on YouTube clips, it's my first time seeing them live. I enjoyed the mix of both the old stuff (lots of songs from De-Loused In The Comatorium as well as few from Frances The Mute and some from the New Album). I will say the latest edition of the band does sound more polished and there was less of the wild dancing that Cedric used to do years ago but they totally Rocked NYC on Friday Night!
    Last edited by starless and bible black; 10-01-2022 at 10:42 AM.

Just caught this interview with Omar & Cedric from The Mars Volta and I think that it's goes into a lot of depth about them as people & creators (as well as the ups & downs of their bands). Worth a listen.