Thread: Rest In Peace, Anton Fier

Rest In Peace, Anton Fier

Damn. Pretty young.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anton_Fier

I saw the Golden Palominos with Peter Blegvad AND Jack Bruce! Double damn.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Yeah, I saw that...very sad.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Rest in peace.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Damn. Zorn's Locus Solas album is one of my favorites of his and the Longue Lizards' debut is all sorts of excellent.

RIP
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Gone at 66.

Although seminal to most things about The Golden Palominos (along with Material THE definitive NYDowntown supergroup), I'll personally always recall his drumming on that debut Lounge Lizards. Avant-jazz/rock (essentially featuring musicians seasoned in both) was still not an acknowledged idiom, and that record truly paved a way although many folks obviously didn't realize it until later on. I can think of very few other releases that I heard as often mentioned to have influenced younger artists in the 90s-20s Norwegian creative boom, for instance. If all of them didn't exactly love it, at least they appeared to have heard it or about it - along with The Big Gundown (Zorn) and Memory Serves (Material) it became the one titledrop from the 80s.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Shame that’s pretty young from my perspective. I’m only really familiar with his Golden Palaminos work, which I first got into via the Michael Stipe sang songs on Visions of Excess and I only have a few albums at that, but I still enjoy them to this day. RIP.

Sad. A great drummer!
    Quarkspace on Facebook
    Church of Hed on Facebook
    TabMuse -- an online resource dedicated to iOS, Android, hardware, and desktop music apps and synths
    Church of Hed/Quarkspace on Bandcamp
    The QuarkspaceHed YouTube Channel

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I had totally forgotten about The Golden Palominos. I think I knew him most from Laurie Anderson's "Mister Heartbreak," but I'm sure I'd seen his name on other things I used to have on vinyl. RIP.
    Primary procreation is accomplished…

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I think I knew him most from Laurie Anderson's "Mister Heartbreak," (...). RIP.
    Me too. Other bands/artists in my collection he worked with were Jack Bruce, The Feelies, The Lodge and Longhouse.

So sad, he was young.

I love the Golden Palominos; last seeing them in Detroit in December of 2012. Anton was another one of those NYC guys like Laswell, Zorn, Elliott Sharp and Arto Lindsay that we worshipped from afar.

May Anton be at peace.