Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rick Wakeman live shows

Rick Wakeman live shows

Looks like London only. I'm guessing its too expensive for him to try and put on shows like this in the US. I would much rather see something like this than his piano solo/telling stories tours.

On both shows, Rick (on keyboards – and wearing a cape, of course!) will be accompanied by his long-term friends and associates, the English Rock Ensemble – Dave Colquhoun (guitars and backing vocals), Adam Falkner (drums), Lee Pomeroy (bass and backing vocals), Hayley Sanderson (vocals), Adam Wakeman (keyboard, guitars and backing vocals), plus percussionist Ed Scull – the English Chamber Choir and a special guest narrator to be revealed later.

Rock Wakeman could have been the Flintstones' version of Rick if he had been famous at that point!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Is Tony Fernandez retired?

Quote Originally Posted by rickm View Post
    Is Tony Fernandez retired?
    He lives in Portugal and COVID restrictions made it difficult for him to get to the March 2022 shows that the English Rock Ensemble did. It was then he was replaced with Headspace's Adam Falkner. These shows are then the same line-up as the 2022 shows (plus a percussionist and choir).
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Looks interesting. Hope they make some nice box-sets from it, like the Steve Hackett sets.

My wallet doesn't allow visiting the concerts.

I would love to see these. But, sheesh, that photo is like 50 years old.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Looks like I'm booking a few days in London. The Palladium is a great venue!

I’m tempted by both shows, and looks like a few of my mates are up for it too. Might be a popular ticket to get I think.

If they made a DVD/Blu-Ray of this, it would make my year.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Same as the music to be played... and it's not like... they will play this music after 50 years :-) it is the same music played during the last 50 years over and over again...

Correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t think he’s ever really done a full set of yes tunes. He usually does one or two (starship trooper seems most common). Could be interesting to see if any deep cuts or interesting arrangements/medleys come into it. This is the kinda thing I might travel for but sadly got some other vacations on the docket at the moment so probably can’t swing it.

Quote Originally Posted by gojikranz View Post
    (starship trooper seems most common).
    Which itself is ironic. Considering Tony Kaye played on the original recording.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    But Tony Kaye never played it live at the time, not until the 90125 Tour.

Quote Originally Posted by Yestronomy View Post
    Although he had played "For Everyone", from which "Starship Trooper" evolved... well, they had "Disillusion" and a broad shape in common.
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Yestronomy View Post
    Ya it blew my mind when I learned that bruford also had never played it live until ABWH (along with all the close to the edge songs too though easier to understand that one)

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Rick didn't play on the original recording of "Owner" but nevertheless conjured up a dynamite solo for it on the Union tour.

^^ He also didn't play on Magnification, but does a nice job filling the orchestra's role.

Got a ticket for both dates, still plenty available. The first night is the most interesting for me as I saw him performing "Journey..." a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Rock Wakeman could have been the Flintstones' version of Rick if he had been famous at that point!

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    That joke would have landed so much better had the OP kept his original misspelled thread title.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progtastic View Post
    Got a ticket for both dates, still plenty available. The first night is the most interesting for me as I saw him performing "Journey..." a few years ago.
    I opted for the first night only, it should be a fun event.

Damn, I am in London the last week of January.....

Seems Rick's gear was stolen.

From his son Adam's Twitter:

URGENT - Keyboards, mixing desks, IEM system, 2 large 19” racks STOLEN from dads tour truck last night at @TravelodgeUK
    southbound on M5 Frankley, Birmingham services. Please contact me if you know anyone trying to sell any of this gear. Please help find @GrumpyOldRick‘s gear.

Damn. Don't they have Rottweilers riding in the back with all the equipment!?

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Lol