Thread: MIRIODOR "Elements" teaser video! Out 10/28/22

MIRIODOR "Elements" teaser video! Out 10/28/22

With nothing to lose, nothing to do, they agreed to take part in an experiment.

The world was going havoc, wars were raging in many countries, viruses proliferating. Miriodor world tour (their second of the year) was halted by an order of the Planet Commander in chief who declared a global confinement due to the pandemic. The crew was forced to land at a military airport in Antartica. No one, anywhere around the globe, could move anymore. Every person on Earth was confined to their home or to the location they were in at the time the Order was promulgated.

Stranded, the Miriodor crew accepted to be the guinea-pigs of an experiment conducted on the military base adjacent to the airport. They would get a shot of an experimental vaccine called ‘Boomerang’, aptly named for its ability to kick in anytime their bodies detected the presence of a virus or the recurrence of a virus. So they got the shot.

Eventually, they set up their gear in order to occupy their days without sunlight, their days of darkness. But when they began to play music, they noticed that this truly bizarre experimental drug had strange side-effects, giving them an extra-acute vision of all natural elements around them, up to the genetics. It was as if they were actually being able to tell the composition of everything around them, objects or life forms, down to the elements of the periodic table. They were able to see sound particles floating or moving in the air, completely altering their vision of music, of their music.

When the containment was lifted, setting them free to move on with their global tour, they had 43 minutes of music.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Great news. Thanks.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

So many coins, so many albums...
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Hope for the future, yay!
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Unknown

Antarctica, really? Still, I guess new music from Miriodor is worth almost any privation.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Antarctica, really?
    Still counts as Canadian Content.
    Infinite Ceiling on www.ckcufm.com every Thursday night at 8:30 with me or Mark Keill, archived shows: https://cod.ckcufm.com/programs/112/...tml?filter=all
    Electronic Meditation on www.ckcufm.com archived shows: https://cod.ckcufm.com/programs/462/...tml?filter=all

Puzzling to note how Miriodor are still going at all. Four lengthy decades on forming. I suppose "academic credentials" of music education benefit the players in other fields of work where grants and fundings support artistic activity. One of the goods of fine studies and institutions of merit.

The mass of movement/tone/timbre/idea in their complete output is staggering. Every release seems to contain nine releases worth of duration/notes, and it's ALL elaborately through-composed, dissonant yet oddly melodic, arranged for eclectic instrumentation and expertly produced to smallest detail. Few if any other modern-era progressive acts come close to Miriodor's load of accomplishment - Thinking Plague, perhaps.

I'll spin some 'dor today after having ransacked my apartment back-to-front/upside-down in search of ol' pics of Deus Ex Machina flaying unfortunate onlookers' earlobes at Berns Salonger/Stockholm '96. Think I'll start with my vinyl of Rencontres.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

WoW!
    Great!!
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Seeing Miriodor at NF was so amazing back in the day. I was already a huge FZ fanatic but was just getting into the RIO/avant prog/Zeuhl stuff, and this band was the perfect gateway into that brilliant corner of music.

Miriodor have so much to offer musically . It's quite an experience listening to their albums. They may have certain influences which they add to their own vocabulary, however they possess a unique originality in their composition. Their music travels not unlike instrumental storytelling and that's a pretty difficult thing to accomplish. Every album is an experience

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Puzzling to note how Miriodor are still going at all. Four lengthy decades on forming. I suppose "academic credentials" of music education benefit the players in other fields of work where grants and fundings support artistic activity. One of the goods of fine studies and institutions of merit.
    There is some kind of support from the Conseil des arts et des lettres du Québec; you will see the logo on many of the releases. Back when ProgQuebec was going, we were able to get support from the AV Trust for a few years (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio-...rust_of_Canada), and it was grant-based on a per-release basis, so that may be the case here as well.
    Infinite Ceiling on www.ckcufm.com every Thursday night at 8:30 with me or Mark Keill, archived shows: https://cod.ckcufm.com/programs/112/...tml?filter=all
    Electronic Meditation on www.ckcufm.com archived shows: https://cod.ckcufm.com/programs/462/...tml?filter=all

There can never be enough Miriodor.

Bring it on!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Steve, did Miriodor play at Progscape in Baltimore? I know I saw them once, but I don't think it was at NEARfest.
    Primary procreation is accomplished…

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Steve, did Miriodor play at Progscape in Baltimore? I know I saw them once, but I don't think it was at NEARfest.
    Yes. Second one.1996.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.