Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Yes - New Topographic Oceans documentary

Excellent job, I learned a lot about what is my favorite Yes album. The producer of the doc got it right by saying that there's something magical about this album that no other Yes album captured (at least for me).

The complaints about this album being too long with too much padding is valid, but I don't think this would have been successful as a single album either. If CDs had been available in 1973, this could have been a single 65-minute disc with side 3 greatly shortened and the removal of some of the repetition from side 2 and maybe the drum solo bit from side 4.

One thing I learned I find ironic. My favorite part of TfTO is Leaves of Green and yet that started life out as its own, stand-alone song played on electric guitar. Glad they didn't release it at the time and folded it into TfTO.

Great video, thanks rael. Tales is one of my fave albums of all time.

By the way, I remember from a video interview somewhere that the title was changed to Topographic when Jamie Muir explained to Jon that Tobographic was not actually a word.

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    Amazing work... and you even managed to slip a Monkees picture in, one that I've never seen before! Some of the sound clips sound like alternate takes or mixes, where are they from?
    For me the Biggest Surprise was the picture of Elvis Presley reading the same book that inspired Topographic Oceans. Thanks again Rael for another great 'making of' video.

Quote Originally Posted by starless and bible black View Post
    For me the Biggest Surprise was the picture of Elvis Presley reading the same book that inspired Topographic Oceans.
    Yeah, that was definitely a surprise. I even "rewound" to make sure it wasn't an obvious Photoshop.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Yeah, that was definitely a surprise. I even "rewound" to make sure it wasn't an obvious Photoshop.
    He didn’t quite get a Tales from Topographic Oceans out of it, but there is this:

Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    He didn’t quite get a Tales from Topographic Oceans out of it, but there is this:

this was obviously before his total mass retain period
    If it ain't acousmatique-It's crap

The eons are closing
    ^^ [emoji23]

------------

Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

How did you get the isolated tracks to use? I found those VERY interesting. Forgive me is this has already been asked.

vlmao.gif
    for the vagina opening in the Yes balloon - I cant believe this went unnoticed by everyne back then. I thought it would've been at least as popular as Floyd's flying hog .

Quote Originally Posted by rael74 View Post
    I agree I could have tried to look deeper into individual interviews as to what the other band members said about the album, however, the main problem I have when making these videos is not having enough images to fill the screen with. The Genesis Duke video I made was really difficult in this respect as so few photos of the band exist from that time.

Also, it was difficult to unearth that many genuinely new facts and perspectives on the album. I debated about including the curry story as we have all heard it a million times.
    Actually, you did... deciphering the album's outer gatefold was an excellent idea (never realized about the stones' provenance and never realized the Nazca lines). Actually, this rockumentary will probably get me to reassess TFTO, as much as Aymeric's book (in French only) did when deciphering Jon's mumbo-jumbo lyrics.

BTW, where the hell did you pull out the Dean image of the alternate "blown to bits" planet from Fragile at 5:22 ?

As for the Curry's provenance, next time I'm in town (not that I'm in Manchester much), I know whu Tandoori place to choose.

Quote Originally Posted by EBES View Post
    Can't imagine a better next step after all the Genesis docs. Love this album but don't know it nearly as well as the Genesis stuff so I'm very much looking forward to setting some time aside this evening with the lights out and a fine sippable beverage.
    Rael, did you actually finish your Genesis album series??
    If so, I might've missed a couple (ATTWT, Foxtrot and Tresspass)
    Or are they still in the pipeline?

Quote Originally Posted by syncopatico View Post
    You just had to stick a bit of Spinal Tap's "Stonehenge" in there at the end, didn't you!
    That drew a from me

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    By the way, I remember from a video interview somewhere that the title was changed to Topographic when Jamie Muir explained to Jon that Tobographic was not actually a word.

Not sure this would've bothered Jon. Like him, I love creating new words (whether in French or English)

FTM, you can still see the "b" in Dean's lettering.
    Last edited by Trane; 6 Days Ago at 05:14 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Another great job! Looking forward to more YES docs.

Side 2 'The Remembering' is my favourite YES epic so Tales is an album close to my heart.

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    How did you get the isolated tracks to use? I found those VERY interesting. Forgive me is this has already been asked.
    Sean - see post 25 - link there....

------------

Another well-done documentary, Rael - thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    ...deciphering the album's outer gatefold was an excellent idea (never realized about the stones' provenance and never realized the Nazca lines).
    I've spent a lot of time looking at this cover; it's always been one of my all-time favorites. I had put together the one "odd" fish with the fossil, but somehow had never flashed on the fact that there were five fish before!
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Really cool video and breakdown, I learned a few things I didnt know as well!
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post

I've spent a lot of time looking at this cover; it's always been one of my all-time favorites. I had put together the one "odd" fish with the fossil, but somehow had never flashed on the fact that there were five fish before!
    Not sure if everyone here has seen this?

Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Great video, thanks rael. Tales is one of my fave albums of all time.

I believe that was actually Roger Dean, IIRC the interview is in the Yesspeak doc. Jamie Muir gave Jon the book 'Autobiography Of A Yogi'

In the Classic Artist Yes doc Phil Carson tells the story of Nesuhi Ertegun telling Jon that Tobographic was very similar to Topographic. So Jon changed it.

That was great!
    I noticed the mbira music you used when introducing Jamie Muir - that's Shona mbira music from Zimbabwe. A musical world that I've been very involved in playing for over 20 years. Did the clip you used come from the "Soul of Mbira" or "Shona Mbira Music" recordings? Anyway, great choice and I really enjoyed the video of a truly unique and special album.

It just so happens today is the 45th anniversary of my first Yes concert, Friday Sept 23 , 1977, LA Forum!!!

Tom

The eons are closing
    ^^ have that show on boot - lucky man - awesome show

------------

Not sure if everyone here has seen....
    No, crazy! Thx for sharing

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Not sure if everyone here has seen this?

I had seen it, but only recently.

Great addition to the thread. Jon sings the lyric “Relayer” on The Remembering.

Scott: 0 - Rael: 1
    It was photoshopped!
    In my defence, however, The King was a huge fan of the book apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by thos View Post
    I noticed the mbira music you used when introducing Jamie Muir
    I just picked the first random piece I could find that sounded closest to Larks Tongues.
    Fripp's bots would have shot the whole video down has I included the fainted wiff of it.

deciphering the album's outer gatefold was an excellent idea
    It took bloody ages to find a photo of the exact Avebury stone that was drawn on that cover.
    I have been to Avebury before, but wasn't aware of it's connection with the cover.
    I can't wait to see the actual stone in the flesh one day.

did you actually finish your Genesis album series??
    Who knows?
    Everyone barks on about Foxtrot, but to be honest, it's one of my least favourites.
    The same goes for CTTE. I listen to Drama and Tormato far much more and they'd present far more interesting stories to tell.
    I am, however, getting excited about making a video with shit-loads of H.R. Giger in it....
    When not wasting time here, wasting time at:
    historyofliverpool.com

Quote Originally Posted by rael74 View Post
    I am, however, getting excited about making a video with shit-loads of H.R. Giger in it....
    Really looking forward to your video on Danzig III: How the Gods Kill.

Quote Originally Posted by EBES View Post
    Really looking forward to your video on Danzig III: How the Gods Kill.
    Wait, not Debbie Harry’s KooKoo?
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Wait, not Debbie Harry’s KooKoo?
    Thank you craiyon

------------