Thread: Pendragon - Believe

Jon Neudorf

Pendragon - Believe

For some reason this one passed me by when it was released a few years ago but I recently acquired it. I have a few other Pendragon albums but have not listened to them in quite a while. One thing I realized after listening to Believe is Nick Barrett's guitar really shines. The combination of acoustic and electric is spot on and his leads on both is right on the money. I suppose Gilmour is one of his biggest influences (lots of soaring/melodic leads) but I am also really enjoying the Spanish touches he employs on the acoustic. Nolan, perhaps, takes a back seat here, but his atmospheric washes are all over this one giving a more atmospheric and spacier sound on some of the tracks.

Bottom line - I am loving this album! I know this one gets the neo tag and probably rightfully so but I don't consider that a negative at all. If one enjoys the music is all that really matters in the end and I am really enjoying this one. Any other takers? Opinions both good and bad are welcome.

Regards,
    Jon

For some reason, I just "passed" on this album between "Not of This World" and "Pure" (both excellent albums). This one didn't do a lot for me, especially the three-minute spoken word bit somewhere in the middle. However, it's still a pretty passionate album for Barrett, and it DOES provide the link between the longer, lush "neo" compositions of earlier Pendragon and the harder-edged stuff of "Pure." I should try it once again and see if it clicks this time.

Yes, I thought this was a very good album. Not great, but very good. I also like when Nick focuses on the soaring guitar lines. I think this is the album that started the "rebirth" of Pendragon, moving them towards being a revitalized band for the new century with some edge to them. They furthered that direction with the subsequent 2 studio albums and a new, fiery drummer.

And while I like the tune "Learning Curve", it shamelessly lifts themes and lyrics from Sade's "Nothing Can Come Between Us". Reportedly it isn't the first time Nick's done direct plagiarism -- there was even a website I found once that chronicled all of the evidence, I think it was humorously called "Is Pendragon a Cover Band?"

Jon Neudorf
    Listening right now and am still really digging this. You are right - Barrett's passion really comes through. "The Wishing Well" is my favourite so far. Barrett's acoustic guitar in the "Two Roads" part is exquisite before it gets a bit heavier. Really enjoying how this one flows.
    I agree that "Not Of This World" is excellent. Will have to pay that one a visit. Have not heard "Pure" yet.

Regards,
    Jon