Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I Totally Disagree

The eons are closing
    From my vantage - you're done. obscured by clouds would be next IMO if you needed extra.

I personally don't understand the love for WYWH. iMO:
    echoes > Shine On
    one of these days > welcome to the machine
    Fearless >= Wish you were here.

And while I can understand Have a cigar over Seamus or St. Tropez or A Pillow of Winds - for this listener it's not enuff

------------

Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    OK, here's the list that's alin my mind today:

1. WYWH
    2. Animals
    3. (reluctantly) DSotM
    4. Piper
    5. Meddle
    6. The Wall
    7. Saucerful
    8. Atom Heart Mother
    9. Momentary Lapse
    10. Ummagumma
    11. Final Cut

I've not heard More, Obscured by Clouds, The Division Bell, or The Endless River. Based on this listing, which would be the next I should check out?
    I haven't heard it in a while but I would suggest The Division Bell. It seems to get more praise than either The Final Cut or A Momentary Lapse Of Reason. Obscured By Clouds is good but it really doesn't come close to the two before it or the two after it. It's still worth checking out. These days you can just listen to these on youtube before deciding if you want to own them.
    You can't take a photograph of Uzis on a street corner.

my most controversial but bold opinion -- "wearing the inside out" is the best PF song post-Wall
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

OK, here's the list that's alin my mind today:

1. WYWH
    2. Animals
    3. (reluctantly) DSotM
    4. Piper
    5. Meddle
    6. The Wall
    7. Saucerful
    8. Atom Heart Mother
    9. Momentary Lapse
    10. Ummagumma
    11. Final Cut

I've not heard More, Obscured by Clouds, The Division Bell, or The Endless River. Based on this listing, which would be the next I should check out?
    Well, as someone already said, most of these can be found on Youtube to hear. But you seem to like their more accessible? albums, probably the way you have them would be the way to go. I think I actually like The Division Bell more than Animals. But yeah: More, Obscured by Clouds, The Division Bell.

OK - here is the correct and complete order. The thread can now be closed:

1. The Dark Side of the Moon
    2. Meddle
    3. Animals
    4. Wish You Were Here
    5. The Piper at the Gates of Dawn
    6. The Wall
    7. A Saucerful of Secrets
    8. Obscured by Clouds
    9. Atom Heart Mother
    10. More
    11. Ummagumma
    12. The Final Cut

1. Meddle
    2. Piper
    3. Saucerful
    4. Obscured
    5. Dark Side
    6. Endless River
    7. Ummagumma

Never heard "More". No need to rank the others. I have tried *so* hard to like WYWH. I give it about 5 intense listens every 5 years or so, every time someone tells me how great it is and loans it to me. I've been doing this since the 80s. Plodding, tuneless, meandering, just nothing there for my ears. Dunno why...

1- Meddle
    2- Animals
    3- Dark Side Of The Moon
    4- Wish You Were Here
    5- The Wall
    6- A Momentary Lapse Of Reason
    7- Obscured By Clouds
    8- More
    9- A Saucerful Of Secrets
    10- Ummagumma
    11- The Division Bell
    12- The Final Cut
    13- Atom Heart Mother
    14- The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn

Yeah I think that's my list. Still haven't listened to Endless River, is it worth my time?
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Atom Heart Mother
    Ummagumma
    Piper at the Gates of Dawn
    A Saucerful of Secrets
    More
    Relics (not a proper album but counting it because it's great)
    Meddle
    Dark Side of the Moon
    Wish You Were Here
    The Wall
    Obscured by Clouds
    Animals
    The Final Cut
    The Endless River
    Momentary Lapse of Reason

Do not own The Division Bell
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Really interesting to see the different preferences here. It illustrates how subjective this is and also inspires me to go back and listen to albums I haven't visited for a long time with "fresh ears" and change my view. Maybe I'm a contrarian, but I like lists. I'm tempted to start a "What are your favorite lists" thread.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar

I'd go with Obscured By Clouds. It feels like like a soundtrack album than More if that makes sense. The Division Bell suffers from not having Roger, The Endless River is cobbled together from bits and pieces.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Animals
    WYWH
    Ummagumma
    DSOTM
    Meddle
    Atom Heart Mother
    Piper at the Gates of Dawn
    Saucerful of Secrets
    Obscured By Clouds
    The Wall
    The Division Bell
    Endless River
    The Final Cut
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I'd go with Obscured By Clouds. It feels like like a soundtrack album than More if that makes sense. The Division Bell suffers from not having Roger, The Endless River is cobbled together from bits and pieces.
    Obscured by clouds is an excellent album IMO not to be missed by PF fans! Just listen to "Burning Bridges" on a nice Hi-Fi - just beautiful and those vocals just jump out at you.

I have to cheat a little:

1. Animals
    2. Momentary Lapse of Reason
    3. The Early Years (it really does have it all for me)
    4. Wish You Were Here
    5. Everything Else
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Yeah I think that's my list. Still haven't listened to Endless River, is it worth my time?
    Thanks for the list to all.

As far as Endless River, it just depends on your taste. I would assume it's up on Youtube or you can probably hear it over at Spotify. Someone said it's not worth it as it was cobbled together from other PF material, but I don't see that as a criticism or concern as a lot of modern music is made in the studio in a similar manner by other musicians, mostly the electronic ones. Just guessing without doing any web searching: Aphex Twins, Autechre, Squarepusher, Board of Canada, trance band, DJ-types musicians, people working with drone, soundbytes, laptops, etc. Some know how to play traditional instruments, keyboard, others not. It's one of their more exploratory, amorphous albums. No vocals, no crunchy hit songs, etc. So it all depends. To me it's more late night listening akin to some late night jazz or classical, kind of like taking off to Alpha Centauri.

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    I have to cheat a little:

1. Animals
    2. Momentary Lapse of Reason
    3. The Early Years (it really does have it all for me)
    4. Wish You Were Here
    5. Everything Else

"Learning to Fly" is still one of my favorite PF tunes to this day. And then there's "Terminal Frost" -- wow!
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post

"Learning to Fly" is still one of my favorite PF tunes to this day. And then there's "Terminal Frost" -- wow!
    For me, the 2nd half of Momentary Lapse is a perfect side start to finish. And I've come to greatly prefer the remixed version of the album from a few years ago. Maybe that's because of my age but yeah...I never tire of that stretch of material.

Learning to Fly is great too, I like the live versions a smidge more than the studio version (ditto for On the Turning Away).
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

For me, the 2nd half of Momentary Lapse is a perfect side start to finish. And I've come to greatly prefer the remixed version of the album from a few years ago. Maybe that's because of my age but yeah...I never tire of that stretch of material.

Learning to Fly is great too, I like the live versions a smidge more than the studio version (ditto for On the Turning Away).
    I have always thought the second side of Momentary Lapse was killer. I would be OK without New Machine interludes, but am fine with them there. The three "main" tracks are pretty groovy.

Ok, bye.

I agree with all, but the remix. Never thought I'd say it, but I actually missed that big 80's sound It was like an old friend.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Rick L. View Post
    I have always thought the second side of Momentary Lapse was killer. I would be OK without New Machine interludes, but am fine with them there. The three "main" tracks are pretty groovy.

Ok, bye.

Side is one is great too with the only somewhat weak track being "dogs of war." However, even that one isn't as bad as some people seem to think it is. Also, I typically don't like it when bands or whoever add things or remix albums such as the case with this one but I might get the new version anyway.
    You can't take a photograph of Uzis on a street corner.

I could rank the PF albums I don't like (everything after The Wall), but it's impossible for me to rank all the ones I love.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    with the ranking of these Pink Floyd albums: https://ultimateclassicrock.com/pink...-album-review/

I'd probably go:

1. DSoTM
    2. Meddle
    3. Ummagumma
    4. The Endless River
    5. More
    6. Atom Heart Mother
    7. A Saucer Full of Secrets
    8. Wish You Were Here

and The Wall next to last place, with The Final Cut being the last place.

You?
    1,8,2,3,Animals,9,4,5,6,7,10
    On the verge of indecision
    I'll always take the roundabout way

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    WYWH is the best Floyd album period.
    (Jeremy Clarkson mode) Except it is isn't. Animals is.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    I agree with all, but the remix. Never thought I'd say it, but I actually missed that big 80's sound It was like an old friend.
    I do actually prefer the original versions of Signs of Life and Terminal Frost for that reason, yeah...I think DG mixed out a bit too much of the textures in the latter, and the added brassy tones in the former just aren't my cuppa. But Yet Another Movie, Sorrow, Learning to Fly, and Turning Away are gorgeous. One Slip and Dogs of War both got a bump up for me as well, different though they are

1. Wish You Were Here
    2. Animals
    <small step>
    3. The Wall
    4. Dark Side of the Moon
    <small step>
    5. Meddle
    6. Atom Heart Mother
    7. A Momentary Lapse of Reason
    <step>
    8. Ummagumma
    9. The Endless River
    <step>
    10. The Final Cut
    11. The Division Bell
    <step>
    12. Obscured by Clouds
    13. Piper at the Gates of Dawn
    14. Saucerful of Secrets
    15. More
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

^ Except for your dismissal of Piper, this isn't that far from where I am.