Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I Totally Disagree

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    I listened to Animals again because of this thread. It didn't change my opinion of it. Roger sings only two pitches, both badly and very nasally, and it's one of the worst recordings (even the 2018 remaster) I've ever heard. There is no bass below 100 cycles, and the drums were apparently recorded over a telephone line?

Which is especially odd considering all of the technology and care that went into DSOTM and WYWH.
    You should remember that Animals was released in the midst of the punk-movement. I wouldn't be surprised the band wanted to make a statement with this recording, knowing text on the famous Johnny Rotten-t-shirt.

This one?

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    20 years after first hearing it, Animals is still my favorite Floyd album.
    Considering it was released in 1977-45 years ago-that means the album was 25 years old when you first heard it.

Considering it was released in 1977-45 years ago-that means the album was 25 years old when you first heard it.
    Yeah, it's crazy to think about. Time really flies. It was in the car on a trip back from Maryland, in September 2002, when I first heard it. The way it felt that evening hearing Gilmour's solo at the final section of "Sheep" is forever etched into my brain.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Animals is my favorite too. And from what I've read, despite the shirt, Johnny Rotten didn't hate Pink Floyd .

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    You should remember that Animals was released in the midst of the punk-movement. I wouldn't be surprised the band wanted to make a statement with this recording, knowing text on the famous Johnny Rotten-t-shirt.
    It's worth pointing out that Animals was recorded in mid to late 76 and was released in very early 77 which was before the Sex Pistols first album was released (never mind the bollocks was released in Ocotober of 77 in the UK). So because of that I don't think PF were deliberately trying to piss off punk rockers or anything like that.
    You can't take a photograph of Uzis on a street corner.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartellb View Post
    Animals is my favorite too. And from what I've read, despite the shirt, Johnny Rotten didn't hate Pink Floyd .
    No, maybe not but he did hate ELP despite being neighbors and good friends with Keith Emerson later on. His favorite prog band was probably VDGG though with PH being a big influence.

1. Wish You Were Here
    2. Animals
    3. The Dark Side Of The Moon
    4. Meddle
    5. Atom Heart Mother
    6. Obscured By Clouds
    7. Piper At The Gates Of Dawn
    8. The Wall
    9. The Division Bell
    10. The Final Cut

See, that was easy!!!
    The Prog Corner

The eons are closing
    meddle
    Saucerful..
    Animals
    DSotM
    Piper...
    The Wall
    WYWH
    TFC.

------------

Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    It's worth pointing out that Animals was recorded in mid to late 76 and was released in very early 77 which was before the Sex Pistols first album was released (never mind the bollocks was released in Ocotober of 77 in the UK). So because of that I don't think PF were deliberately trying to piss off punk rockers or anything like that.
    Well, I didn't mean PF were pissing of punk-rockers. What I was trying to say is that the musicians were changing the way they recorded their music by chosing for a more direct, rougher sound (without forgetting to incorporate the subtle sounds).
    B.t.w. The Sex Pistols weren't the start of punk; that movement started a lot earlier. Like Simon Reynolds wrote in Rip It Up And Start Again: "By Summer 1977, punk had become a parody of itself".

This one?
    Yes, and indeed, like written in post #30 Rotten later confessed he didn't really hate PF.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Well, I didn't mean PF were pissing of punk-rockers. What I was trying to say is that the musicians were changing the way they recorded their music by chosing for a more direct, rougher sound (without forgetting to incorporate the subtle sounds).
    B.t.w. The Sex Pistols weren't the start of punk; that movement started a lot earlier. Like Simon Reynolds wrote in Rip It Up And Start Again: "By Summer 1977, punk had become a parody of itself".
    You had the Ramones before them but anything before them was proto-punk imo.

The Endless River is a top PF album? Knowing that it was cobbled together after Wright's death from unused Division Bell session tapes I wrote it off and never heard it. Perhaps I should.

Quote Originally Posted by Quantum Cat View Post
    The Endless River is a top PF album? Knowing that it was cobbled together after Wright's death from unused Division Bell session tapes I wrote it off and never heard it. Perhaps I should.
    I borrowed it from the library and so only heard it once. It was good but I don't see how it would make anyone's top ten list.

The only PF album I havent heard is "More"...should get that at some point. Otherwise most of their output is excellent, and it would be hard to tell you what is my favorite b/c it changes -- sometimes its Meddle, sometimes its Animals, Sometimes its Wish You Were...but I would rank The endless river and the final cut as the two worst because they feel more like pink floyd side projects than actual band efforts.

This one?
    I love how he's the poster child for turning your back on the entire punk ethos more or less now
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Re: and it would be hard to tell you what is my favorite b/c it changes --

I agree. I could say that for many, many bands, artist, writers, etc. I changes daily. However, I tried to order them the best I could (that day, and that's pretty much a generality). Some bemoaned that Animals wasn't on there or higher up on my list...well, whatever. It's an enjoyable album, but not high on MY list. It always sounded to same-y for me in its content. If it works for you good: you do you, I'll do me. Pretty decent album tho.

I borrowed it from the library and so only heard it once. It was good but I don't see how it would make anyone's top ten list.
    B/c everybody is different. Some like liver & onions, others don't.

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    See, that was easy!!!
    Thank you. See, it's really not that hard.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Excuse me, where the F##K is Animals (my favourite)
    Excuse me, liver & onions, liver & onions.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    You guys would put Endless River before WYWH? Wow.
    I like it better b/c it gives me more to explore in my head, similar to classical music in some ways. WYWH is okay, some of their albums I have listened to more or over listened to, and don't hold as much magic as they once did so I don't listen to them much these days.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    WYWH is the best Floyd album period. Piper is next.
    ...on your list

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Good question! I totally disagree with any list that doesn't include Animals!
    ...and you are free to do so.

It's on the list at number 4. Not sure how you guys missed it unless you are referring to the OP's personal list. Personally, I find it a bit overrated but I still like it.

My top five would be something like:

WYWH
    AHM
    The Wall
    Animals
    Meddle

DSOTM would probably be number 6. It's just way too played out for me to put it any higher. I also think AMLOR is underrated. Actually dark side would probably be 7. I think I like Piper better.
    That's the way I feel with many of their albums, they have been over played and just don't retain the same magic that they once did, if they ever did to begin with, blasphemy I know. sigh

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Any list that lacks both Animals and Piper is just cray-cray.
    ...it's all in your mind, people are different.

OK, here's the list that's alin my mind today:

1. WYWH
    2. Animals
    3. (reluctantly) DSotM
    4. Piper
    5. Meddle
    6. The Wall
    7. Saucerful
    8. Atom Heart Mother
    9. Momentary Lapse
    10. Ummagumma
    11. Final Cut

I've not heard More, Obscured by Clouds, The Division Bell, or The Endless River. Based on this listing, which would be the next I should check out?
    Yemen hardly ever exports cookies.