Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FEATURED ALBUM: Deus Ex Machina - Cinque

FEATURED ALBUM: Deus Ex Machina - Cinque

This latest feature also commemorates an album now 20 years old. Originally released in 2002, I think for many of us existing fans, it represented a new chapter in the band's existence. Little did we know then that the output of the group going forward would be few and far between, but all of those works live up to the expectations. Cinque might just be my favorite offering were it not for the groundbreaking De Republica. But like most things post 70s/80s, this group is proportionally underpromoted in the prog world and deserves more attention.

Review from ProgArchives
    It is the year 2034!!..And you are reading this review in the Prog Archives web site...

"Amazing band from the turn of the Century that has influence several bands over the past years! Which after several good albums, with mainly Italy/European distribution, they decided to go global into the US market, releasing this Gem of Progressive Rock material. Without a doubt their MASTERPIECE, in the vein of Area (another Italian Band, this one much older..70', which my Dad was and still crazy about) and with a complexity of the old British pros like GG, or even KC! Most likely one of the best, if not the ONE release, in 2002!!. Amazing vocals in Latin by Alberto Piras with stunning interplays of Instrumentation. There is something here for everybody.... Six superb musicians on this band with Bass, Drums, Guitar, Keys and Violin; Eclectic use of guitar and aggressive rhythm sections makes this album a real treat for any PROGRESSIVE music lover"....Faaar ouuut, my friends!!!

My point is...Do not, and I repeat..DO NOT miss the chance to grab a copy of this one!! This IMHO is going to be one of those Classics in the future, which bands will be measure against.

Just Brilliant!.5 solid stars!!! - Prognut

WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Yeah...Da Republica is a desert island disc for me so it's clearly #1, but this and Equilibrismo are comfortably tied for second. Great, great, great album.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

A great album by a great band. I would rate it at no. 3 of their output (behind Equilibrismo and De Republica)

Wow, 20 years old. It doesn't feel like it to me. This is probably my favorite DeM album. I own and love all their stuff, but this one really grabbed me from the get-go, and I've never tired of hearing it. It feels a bit less "frantic" than De Republica and Equilibrismo, which might objectively be better albums, but this one just falls into place for me, and it's the one I reach for most often.

I put DeM in the top tier of Prog bands from the "third wave." I really hope they find their way to making another album.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    I put DeM in the top tier of Prog bands from the "third wave." I really hope they find their way to making another album.

Bill
    I’m currently (gently) trying to persuade them to ok an archival thing.

A new one would also be nice.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Any idea whether they've been rehearsing, or active in any way, since the pair of gigs they did at the time the last album was released? Is a new album a realistic hope?
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    Any idea whether they've been rehearsing, or active in any way, since the pair of gigs they did at the time the last album was released? Is a new album a realistic hope?
    I didn’t know that they were rehearsing or active in any way when suddenly, totally out of the blue, they contacted me about Devoto!

“Hello, Steve! This is Alberto and DxM. Do you remember us? We remember you!” That was the exact wording of the email, iirc.

So I have NO idea, which is part of the fun that makes them them….
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

I’m currently (gently) trying to persuade them to ok an archival thing.

Awesome! Fingers crossed!

I didn’t know that they were rehearsing or active in any way when suddenly, totally out of the blue, they contacted me about Devoto!

“Hello, Steve! This is Alberto and DxM. Do you remember us? We remember you!” That was the exact wording of the email, iirc.

So I have NO idea, which is part of the fun that makes them them….
    LOL! That sounds like them. I think Devoto is fantastic! I'd take another album like that in a heartbeat!

Bill

^^^^^^^^^^^^

I would put all of my dealings with all of them in the ‘amusing’ and ‘pleasurable’ categories.

Which doesn’t sound like much, but it is what I actually care most about these days.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

This one and EdI just kind of sat on the shelf for the longest time. Now that I’ve kind of burned out on De Republica and the self-titled second from overplaying, they’re getting more airtime at Progbearhuset. I believe EdI was either the current or upcoming album when they gave a series of concerts at the Boathouse on Lake Merced in S.F. I was there every night, and they killed it each time. There were few, if any, better live acts from that internet-driven 90s prog boom.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

^^^

Their live performances were incredible. I saw them...maybe 3 or 4 times including the time when I brought them to Chicago for a show. About 10 people showed up...and those 10 people have now been canonized...the only living people to ever achieve that status

If you ever get the chance...and you too want to be canonized...you should see them live if it ever happens again

best
    Michael
    If it ain't acousmatique-It's crap

One of the most interesting bands of the 90ies prog revival.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by neuroticdog View Post
    ^^^

Their live performances were incredible. I saw them...maybe 3 or 4 times including the time when I brought them to Chicago for a show. About 10 people showed up...and those 10 people have now been canonized...the only living people to ever achieve that status

If you ever get the chance...and you too want to be canonized...you should see them live if it ever happens again

best
    Michael
    Yeah...I've been lucky enough to see them three times: at my very first Progday in 1996 supporting Da Republica, NEARfest, and again at Progday a few years ago supporting Devoto. They were never less than incredible and certainly at that first Progday, they were epic beyond words.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Though I have discovered of the band via my library and fanzines around the days of the s/t and De Republica (I also heard their debut around the tilme as well), I've only started buying from Cinque onwards (at least, I believe I still have Devoto). Cinque & Impairis are my faves.

Saw the band twice (once in Verviers, in company of DFA), but the singer (AP) acted like a goon/dictator (at least on stage) towards his teammates.
    I can imagine he's inspired of how Stratos was with Area.

I take most of the strange communication is probably accountable to Alberto Piras.
    Last edited by Trane; 2 Weeks Ago at 10:37 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

His name is Alberto, not Albert.

This is on sale at Wayside right now and is a STEAL, with some killer live cuts from Cinque, EdI and of course some great new material:

http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...NE259-260.aspx

I've been meaning to play this one again so thanks to this thread I'll try to remember to pull it out again. I remember playing it once in the car with my dad but he didn't like it. Oh well.
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:19 PM.
    You can't take a photograph of Uzis on a street corner.

Since I was not lucky enough to get acquainted with the band at the time, I always felt a bit trepid to delve back into their work (huge in duration albums, complex music with erratic vocals that can sound one-sided at moments etc). So I only really have listened to De Republica, which is great, but at times it sounds a bit too much for me, like it needs some kind of air to allow the listener to breathe in (Alberto's vocals, which I love and are such a cornerstone of their music, can get on one's nerves after a while).

But this is about time to change. I absolutely love what I am hearing in Cinque. This is a band with a strong sense of identity, a band that does not fright in trying weird and interesting things in order to create its own musical language. And yes, the air for the listener is there now, instruments and voice breathe freely in the music. I don't find anything in Cinque which is lacking compared to the grandi maestri of 70's italian prog. It is a fantastic record from start to finish.

I wonder where is all this creative force in our days, production from Italy has not only waned in numbers but in quality too, things sound more predictable in our Italian days. Where are the Deuses and the Duty Free Areas, the Germinales and the Pandoras? There are a few exceptions, but nowadays is mostly retro, and a futile nostalgia for what's gone.

The only album of theirs that I own, but I did enjoy it at the time -- havent listened in a long time but it still holds up pretty well!
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    I wonder where is all this creative force in our days, production from Italy has not only waned in numbers but in quality too, things sound more predictable in our Italian days. Where are the Deuses and the Duty Free Areas, the Germinales and the Pandoras? There are a few exceptions, but nowadays is mostly retro, and a futile nostalgia for what's gone.
    I kinda think that the people are getting what the people want. I don’t see any great demand that isn’t being met for ‘creative force’.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I've been meaning to play this one again so thanks to this thread I'll try to remember to pull it out again. I remember playing it once in the car with my dad but he didn't like it. Oh well.
    I vividly remember playing parts of the cd in my car with two other music teacher colleagues on a lunch break in the early 2000s and they absolutely couldn't stand it! I may even had to turn it off for them, actually I probably did. At least I tried...

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I vividly remember playing parts of the cd in my car with two other music teacher colleagues on a lunch break in the early 2000s and they absolutely couldn't stand it! I may even had to turn it off for them, actually I probably did. At least I tried...
    Which is weird because I remember loving the crap out of it (and I'm assuming you did too). Then again many on here (including myself) probably wouldn't last too long at a country or rap concert.
    You can't take a photograph of Uzis on a street corner.

My favourite DeM. It may have something to do with the fact that it was also the first album of theirs that I heard, but I just feel on this one that they nailed the perfect compromise between the utter insanity and density of Equilibrismo and their later stuff. Both of which I also love (big fan of Imperis too), but something about Cinque...the riffs, the compositions, the energy, just hits the sweet spot for me.

Neil

Equilibrismo remains an absolute milestone to my ears. The sheer non-bombastic grandiosity of sound, space and form is supremely their own on this, not least considering how firmly and densely arrangements settle with those exact three dimensions in their music.

Back in the day I was a little disappointed with Cinque at first, expecting something even larger in scope and scale after Equilibrismo's shellshocking gross totale, but I soon grew to love it and deem it truly clever in its simpler and more direct take on expression - as with the delicate turn to sudden acoustic captions etc. And the grandness certainly sets in once you reach the chorus of "Convolutus".

But I need to listen more to Devoto. I've spun it and dig it, but I never really got around to immersing into fine fabrics in the way I used to. I guess the only recording of theirs that I can't take on any of the post-De Republica releases (as I never particularly cared for their first two albums) was the rerecording of "La Fine del Mondo" on Imparis; I cherish the original on Equilibrismo, and 'though I can see how they'd want to tape a version omitting the brass, I still don't get the reason why they also removed an entire section of the song. That live-DVD on Imparis is something else altogether still - it displays their immense command of instrumental energy and chemistry, featuring some mindblowing glories of performance by Fabrizio Puglisi (keys) and Claudio Trotta (drums) especially.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I am not huge Deus Ex Machina fan but I really liked the more straight forward Devoto. Hopefully there is more to come.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/