Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FEATURED CD: Museo Rosenbach - Zarathustra

Profondo Giallo Crystal Plumage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    Rock Progressivo Italiano, a general moniker for all Italian progressive rock. I take it that Progarchives has popularised the use of this term.
    According to Progarchives:
    One common misconception that must be addressed is the belief that any prog band from Italy is an RPI band. There are bands from Italy more appropriate for other genres. As an example, a pure and obvious post-rock band who just happen to be from Rome are going to be in the post-rock sub, not RPI. A pure jazz-fusion band with no RPI characteristics to their sound could be easily placed in the Jazz/Fusion subgenre.

Rock Progressivo Italiano definition
    aka "RPI"

http://www.progarchives.com/subgenre.asp?style=28
    HuGo
    "Very, very nice," said a man in the crowd,
    When the golden voice appeared.
    She was gold alright, but then so is rust.
    "Such a shame about the beard."

Quote Originally Posted by Seven8 View Post
    A few of you mentioned "RPI". Sorry, what does that stand for?
    Stupid abbreviation for 70s related progressive rock made in Italy...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal Plumage View Post
    According to Progarchives:

Rock Progressivo Italiano definition
    aka "RPI"

http://www.progarchives.com/subgenre.asp?style=28
    You shouldn't....

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Not just 70's... modern bands are also included...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Seven8 View Post
    Are they still together? I have one song by them that was on the Finnish compliation album "Kalevala" that came out in 2002(?). Wow. It's hard to believe that was already released more than 10 years ago? But that's still a long gap from 1973.
    I think they only recently reformed. Their drummer spent most of the interim in the pop band Matia Bazar (apart from their female vocalist, the rest of their members came from the hard rock/prog band J.E.T.). MR’s singer was with a new prog band called Il Tempio delle Clessidre recently, but jumped ship when MR reformed.

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    It doesn’t bug me as much as “RIO” used as a catch-all term for any left-of-center music featuring dissonance. But I still never use it. Ditto the other PA terms (people there seem to think “eclectic prog” is an actual subgenre).

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

“It doesn't get any more...like this. Than this.” --Anders Lundquist

N.P.:“Accionista”-Pablo “El Enterrador”

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    It doesn’t bug me as much as “RIO” used as a catch-all term for any left-of-center music featuring dissonance. But I still never use it. Ditto the other PA terms (people there seem to think “eclectic prog” is an actual subgenre).
    Well, all these genre terms are artificial and somewhat inaccurate - a lot of "symphonic rock" isn't all that symphonic in the strictest sense of the word, but the term has taken a life of its own and seems to serve a useful function. Progarchives' system is one attempt to organise the musical continuum, though not one that I use. "Eclectic prog", though... that seems so loaded with redundancy as to be near meaningless. Try to catch all, and you catch nothing.

Rock Progressivo Italiano aka "RPI"
    By the same token is Änglagård filed under Svensk Progressiv Rock, SPR?
    Check out my concert videos on my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/broadaccent

Jeez ... I had no idea people felt this strongly about the term "RPI."

I noticed people using it some years back and figured that Rock Progressive Italiano was maybe just a little more Italian way of talking about the genre; instead of saying Italian Progressive Rock.

I couldn't care less either way but the term never struck me as "offensive."

I think RIO is a much sillier term, at least as it applies to contemporary practicioners.

They don't seem to be able to articulate in any fashion what they are actually "In Opposition" to.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    I think RIO is a much sillier term, at least as it applies to contemporary practicioners.

They don't seem to be able to articulate in any fashion what they are actually "In Opposition" to.
    I don’t think bands apart from the original eight refer to themselves as “RIO.” It seems to be mostly used by fans (or non-fans, who use it inaccurately to describe any dissonant music they dislike).

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"That's my purse! I don't know you!" --Bobby Hill

N.P.:“Cycles II”-Kit Watkins/Labyrinth

I don’t think bands apart from the original eight refer to themselves as “RIO.”
    The term certainly gets used in relation to festivals that get promoted here at PE. I remember one instance where - to the exasperation of a band member and the festival backer - I unsportingly asked in a thread for the object of their opposition to be defined, only to get a few rolled-eyes in response. "Like, whatEver."

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Smörgåsbord View Post
    By the same token is Änglagård filed under Svensk Progressiv Rock, SPR?

Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarney View Post
    Jeez ... I had no idea people felt this strongly about the term "RPI."

I noticed people using it some years back and figured that Rock Progressive Italiano was maybe just a little more Italian way of talking about the genre; instead of saying Italian Progressive Rock.

I couldn't care less either way but the term never struck me as "offensive."
    Not offensive... had no problems with it, but IPR sounds less corny than RPI (especially with the "o" at the end)

In either case, there was too much revisionism about the genres and setting up the definitions (though it was done with the utmost seriousness) on a site that seems to be taken all-too often as a "bible" by the new prog establishment (even CRP...P mag look too often at PA for references)
    >> when Italian Symphonic Prog became RPI, and it was more of a huge effort to avoid ISP being engulfed in symphonic prog (with no nationality specufied) >> so the lobbyists (one or two sometimes posting here) definitely widened the term and engulfed a bunch of other groups to create this RPI genre (which has some merits, but it was done for the wrong reasons)

This was happening at the time some others were lobbying for "Andaluz prog"
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Profondo Giallo Crystal Plumage's Avatar

Nice. It's just a pity Lupo isn't with them anymore. Still looking forward to the new album!
    HuGo
    "Very, very nice," said a man in the crowd,
    When the golden voice appeared.
    She was gold alright, but then so is rust.
    "Such a shame about the beard."

Progstreaming-webmaster Sunhillow's Avatar
    Here's the stream of the live-Zarathustra, for those in doubt: http://www.progstreamingclassic.com/...iveAlbum=00025 - Museo Rosenbach - Zarathustra Live In Studio

What he said, pretty much. It’s far from awful, but I just don’t hear anything on this disc that warrants all the bowing and scraping, even after all these years. And that cover art is ugly as sin.
    hehe... true dat

not among the best in the annals of Italian Symph, but not a bad album either
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?