Thread: Today in Rock History 1974 - Rory Gallagher Destroys Aerosmith in NYC

Today in Rock History 1974 - Rory Gallagher Destroys Aerosmith in NYC

Joe Perry from Aerosmith: ”We played the outdoor Schaefer Music Festival in Central Park, fifty thousand people strong, where Rory Gallagher opened for us. He was a hard-drinking Irishman with his own brand of blues rock that captivated the crowd... When he finally left the stage, the crowd, wanting more Rory, started throwing cans and bottles. We set up among the flying debris. The debris kept flying during our set. Brad got hit and a broken bottle cut Joey’s arm...I remember it as the only time that we were blown off fair and square in true rock-and-roll style. That night Rory Gallagher was just too good to stop."

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Did anyone see Aerosmith in the 1970s. They sucked.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

"Get Your Wings" and "Toys in The Attic" were huge when I was in high school but you're right, their rep live performance-wise was not good. No one wanted to follow Rory Gallagher. rest his soul. Humble Pie and UFO also notorious for slaying the headliner.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bfd View Post
    "Get Your Wings" and "Toys in The Attic" were huge when I was in high school but you're right, their rep live performance-wise was not good. No one wanted to follow Rory Gallagher. rest his soul. Humble Pie and UFO also notorious for slaying the headliner.
    Toys In The Attic and Rocks were huge when I was in high school.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Didn't Rush in the early days blow bands off the stage too? I can't imagine them not blowing Kiss off the stage when they opened for them.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

I saw Blue Oyster Cult open for Flash, and BOC absolutely annihilated them. This was even before their first record was out.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Quote Originally Posted by bfd View Post
    Very true! Especially your statement about Humble Pie and UFO . Several headliners felt those bands were competitive and it shattered their confidence at times. Steve Marriott was very good at winning the audience...so to speak...and he excited Rock crowds..

I saw Rory Gallagher three times in the 70s. Sometimes he would be diverse and play a mandolin , a harp, or acoustic guitar.

Other times he wouldn't and remain electric all night. It depended on which tour you saw. Each studio album of his is different.

For example...Calling Card and Top Priority were two different kind of albums. His early albums were even more eclectic and I can definitely see why bands would feel intimidated by his performances.

This is totally arse-kicking.

Too much alcohol...combined with too much talent - these guys are untouchable, Rory Gallagher, Peter Green.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Not always. I saw Aerosmith in summer 1975 topping a triple bill with Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush and Status Quo. They had to play good that night because the opening bands kicked ass. We weren't even planning to be there, but at the last minute said WTF and drove down and bought tickets at the door. Absolutely worth more than the $4.50 price of admission. Ah. The '70s.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

I saw Rory twice in the mid 70's and he was WAY better than Aerosmith, who I did see once in the 70's on a triple bill that they were not headlining...

Toys In The Attic and Rocks were huge when I was in high school.
    Yep, those two 8-track tapes were on regular play in my 1970 Javelin. Never liked them enough to buy any vinyl, though.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I have no doubt that Rory, on a good night, could give anyone trouble. But I have the boot of Aerosmith at the same venue a year later and they pretty much gave no quarter to whoever else was on the bill. Just nasty two-fisted rock.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Just then? I did prefer 1970's Aerosmith over the chick flick band they became later.
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Liked maybe one song of Aerosmith and never purchased a thing.

Saw Rory Gallagher the middle act of Ace and Foghat and yes he blew Foghat away.

Saw Journey (pre Steve Perry) open for ELO and I like ELO, but Journey blew them away.