Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: ELP News; Carl Palmer and crew

Quote Originally Posted by stickman393 View Post
    Isn't this just a play-along to the Royal Albert Hall DVD?
    There's also a lot of live playing from the Palmer trio. It's a two hour show and about half of that is done with no video at all, including lengthy versions of Tarkus and Carmina Burana (w/solo). The videos are extremely well synched to the live playing (which usually involves the trio as well), and I thought it all struck the right tone.

BTW, the current guitar player does sing, so I take it there will be vocals in the ELP Legacy shows going forward. "Benny the Bouncer" was sung by Carl himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    I did watch the whole clip and clearly understood that he is now going to tour the world with this configuration. Based on that, I’d imagine he’d keep this going until it isn’t successful. I guess I look at “future tour” and “extending this tour” as much the same thing. Kinda like farewell tours. lol
    Straight from Carl's manager (I work for him), they will be doing this show for only 2 years. And will mix up the set list up as they continue. It's a very expensive show, and they have to split the earnings with the two estates.

The reason this show was made possible is because they have the raw footage and raw audio masters from the Royal Albert Show, which has enabled them to edit Carl out of the video footage and audio tapes. They have both Keith's feed and Greg's audio separated. And this is what makes the show possible.

My personal thoughts on seeing last Friday...
    The video screen ELP stuff started to feel more natural as it went on. I enjoyed watching Carl playing to Keith & Greg more than watching him switch back with the Carl Palmer Band. I thought it was not needed to switch back and forth, in particular because I have seen the CPB so many times and was board with them, the solos are as boring as they are skillfully executed. The Keith & Greg thing is new, I wanted to see more of that. However, the only time I felt like I was watching a live ELP concert was at the end with Fanfare/Rondo. There was a genuine excitement and energy watching Keith on the big screen throwing his organ round. It was VERY cool, and the sound quality was great. It was also great to hear Keith's Moog loud and proud in the theater during Lucky Man. Sounded great in the new mix.

But the most notable thing I saw, and I've seen Carl more times than I can remember, is I've never seen Carl Palmer so happy and excited when he was playing with his old mates. Seriously, he was continually watching the screens and had a BIG smile on his face! He must think this is the coolest thing ever, and enjoys looking over and seeing Keith & Greg.

It was a tasteful tribute. I would recommend it if you've enjoyed Carl's previous shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    ... watching Keith on the big screen throwing his organ round.
    Hmmm... and here I thought it was only Robert Plant who did that...

Damn, Bruce!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Damn, Bruce!

Well, the comments here are pretty much what I expected. I personally have no interest, but I very much doubt Carl would have done this if he didn't think it would be at least somewhat successful and have the approval of a lot of fans (and the estates of Greg and Keith are behind it as well). So in that regard, more power to him and I'm glad people can enjoy it. It's nice to hear that Carl is happy and really enjoying the tour and at least the feeling of playing with his old mates.

I never saw ELP live, which is a shame, but I don't think this is how I want to see them. I'll be content with the live footage of them in their actual prime back in the 70's that I have now. I have thought about seeing the CPB but just haven't gotten around to it. I'd be more interested in seeing just the current 3, without the video's of Keith and Greg though.

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post

It was a tasteful tribute. I would recommend it if you've enjoyed Carl's previous shows.

Thanks for the honest review. I have seen CPB a few times and have enjoyed them, but I really wasn't sure about this one. I hope to catch them next time and, hopefully, at the the Des Plaines Theater. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by infandous View Post
    Well, the comments here are pretty much what I expected. I personally have no interest, but I very much doubt Carl would have done this if he didn't think it would be at least somewhat successful and have the approval of a lot of fans (and the estates of Greg and Keith are behind it as well). So in that regard, more power to him and I'm glad people can enjoy it. It's nice to hear that Carl is happy and really enjoying the tour and at least the feeling of playing with his old mates.
    That's pretty much how I feel.

But I'm pretty I would go see this show if it came through my town.

I've always had a soft spot for ELP's power-y ballads. "Knife Edge" begat "Living Sin" begat "Touch and Go" begat "Paper Blood." (Or, at least, there's a throughline there in my brain, but my brain has been wrong before.)

So I did rather enjoy the version of "Paper Blood" on this tour.

Skip to about minute 4:00 to witness the power of paper blood. What? Do you think you can really stop the flood?
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

At least the Black Moon songs sound better now than with the awful 90s production, right?